Same question everyone asks which loop should I request?

We will be at the fort between Aug 1st - Aug 7 this summer and I need to figure out which loop is best setup for my family. Initially I booked the partial hookups because we were planning to tent camp. Well that all changed last week when I bought a new to me travel trailer. Now I have a 21ft trailer that needs full hookups so I've updated our reservation to a premium site. So my question is what do I request?( I totally get that its not guaranteed but it doesn't hurt to ask)

It'll be myself, my wife and our daughter who will be turning 2 when we are there. We plan to do the kiddie pool a lot along with the camp fire at night. I'll also be bringing our bikes and tot trailer to get around, I'm not planning on renting a cart so I think I want something between the Meadows and the settlement, but I'd also like it to be kinda private but it can not be near any water hazards either. Oh and I forgot to mention it needs to be easy to back into since I won't have much experience doing so yet.

Initially my thought is loop 1400, but I'm not sure if there is a better loop out there that meets my needs.

Thanks and happy camping!

Last question first, you won't have trouble backing a 21'er into ANY premium. 800-900 are very shady and quiet, and easy access to the Meadows, but a few sites on each are on the creek, but not a problem if you get an inside site. You're probably going to want to be near the bathhouse anyhow, so you'd naturally be far from the creek. 1400 is an option: some people love it, me, not so much. Many sites in 1400 back up to a much larger creek than either 800 or 900.

And, if I can go off on a tangent for a sec, you mentioned learning how to back. The best piece of advise I ever got is to look at the trailer only in the mirrors and consider which direction you want the rear of the trailer to go, then, with your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel push the wheel in that direction. Makes a HUGE difference. And before you start, get out and survey all obstacles, especially low obstructions on the other side of the road that you might hit with the front of your truck while all your attention is on the trailer.

And, if I can go off on a tangent for a sec, you mentioned learning how to back. The best piece of advise I ever got is to look at the trailer only in the mirrors and consider which direction you want the rear of the trailer to go, then, with your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel push the wheel in that direction. Makes a HUGE difference. And before you start, get out and survey all obstacles, especially low obstructions on the other side of the road that you might hit with the front of your truck while all your attention is on the trailer.

I second this. After I was told about it backing became so much easier.

Great advice.  I had heard about the hand on the bottom, but not just watching the mirrors.

I've attempted backing my PUP about 4 times. 

First time bringing it home was a breeze.

Next times were a disaster.

Thank God it's a small older PUP about 1200 lbs. loaded, and everything was asphalt/cement, so all I had to do was drop it and push it into place.

I need to find an empty parking lot and go practice some Sunday afternoon.

In case it's helpful, the page below has a bunch of info that might help you pick, including links to maps, videos of all camping loops and the Fort Fiends mobile app which has specs, backing ease and photo info on all sites...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loop-information/site-classifications-r61

Listen to Santa!

1400 should be a great choice for you- but with the 2 year old, make sure to request that you are not assigned a site backing up to the canal (on the outside of the outer loop aka Big Bear).

800 and 900 are good alternate choices for premium loops with easy access to the Meadow area.  Neither of those loops have sites which back right up to any canals.

TCD

Thanks Santa for the backing up advice, I plan to be practicing a lot before the trip down and I'll try your tips. Also thanks to all of you for the site advise. I think I'm going to request to be away from water in the 1400 loop and see what happens, if its full I'll go to to the fall backs that you guys mentioned. I've downloaded the fiends app and watched many videos already so I've been trying to do my homework but sometimes someone else's real world experience is invaluable.

Great advice.  I had heard about the hand on the bottom, but not just watching the mirrors.

Yeah, the reason is if you turn around to look and then look at the same thing in the mirror you need to flip things in your mind and that can lead to confussion. Another thing that works is to have your spotter looking rearward and calling out directions according to what is right or left for them BUT NEVER pointing! They call "right", you apply your right, and the trailer moves to your left, which is the spotter's right... magic! But if they point, you're scr*wed!

Yeah, the reason is if you turn around to look and then look at the same thing in the mirror you need to flip things in your mind and that can lead to confussion. Another thing that works is to have your spotter looking rearward and calling out directions according to what is right or left for them BUT NEVER pointing! They call "right", you apply your right, and the trailer moves to your left, which is the spotter's right... magic! But if they point, you're scr*wed!

Instead of left/right, we use driver's side and passenger side.

I've also learned, I'm a terrible spotter. My wife makes it look easy. I've spotted for her and a buddy at a campground a time or two- that's a harder job that I originally understood!

Someone on this site sent me a link to the new system that Ford came out with.

You put a marker on your hitch, then turn the system on and using the back up camera it steers you into your space.  You apply gas and watch for obstacles to your front and sides that the camera can't see.

Of course the same day I read about it, Ford started a recall on their electric power steering systems which these trucks have.