Highlands Hammock State Park - Sebring, FL

We spent 2 nights at the campground in Highlands Hammock State Park in Sebring, FL.  If our A/C hadn't failed, the trip would have been perfect; but as it was we still had a great time, although we did sweat a lot.

The campground is very nice, but a bit tight.  We had a decent size site, but some are very small and difficult to back in.  We reserved site 120, which is one of the pull through sites.  I would definitely recommend one in that area.

Here is the campground:

Lge82r5l.jpg

sD6hy0Wl.jpg

There is a nice museum for the Civilian Conservation Corps which built the park during the depression.  The museum was really interesting and the area around the building was very nice:

YjWDy5Tl.jpg

dgh9OE4l.jpg

EmEcmQnl.jpg

The trails were not very long, but they were very unique and beautiful.  We walked the loop road, about 3 miles, and took all of the trails off of that road.

OHBRMm4l.jpg

60nQnVkl.jpg

7APObkyl.jpg

TnChVx3l.jpg

The park is a very nice park and well worth a couple of days.  At only $23 a night (over 62 Florida residents $11.50) it is a great value as are the other Florida State Parks.  A person camping near us told us that once you get past mid June, the mosquitoes get awful for the rest of the summer; so plan accordingly.  He said Spring and winter are great times to come.  I would highly recommend this park.

Doug

We spent 2 nights at the campground in Highlands Hammock State Park in Sebring, FL.  If our A/C hadn't failed, the trip would have been perfect; but as it was we still had a great time, although we did sweat a lot.

The campground is very nice, but a bit tight.  We had a decent size site, but some are very small and difficult to back in.  We reserved site 120, which is one of the pull through sites.  I would definitely recommend one in that area.

Here is the campground:

Lge82r5l.jpg

sD6hy0Wl.jpg

There is a nice museum for the Civilian Conservation Corps which built the park during the depression.  The museum was really interesting and the area around the building was very nice:

YjWDy5Tl.jpg

dgh9OE4l.jpg

EmEcmQnl.jpg

The trails were not very long, but they were very unique and beautiful.  We walked the loop road, about 3 miles, and took all of the trails off of that road.

OHBRMm4l.jpg

60nQnVkl.jpg

7APObkyl.jpg

TnChVx3l.jpg

The park is a very nice park and well worth a couple of days.  At only $23 a night (over 62 Florida residents $11.50) it is a great value as are the other Florida State Parks.  A person camping near us told us that once you get past mid June, the mosquitoes get awful for the rest of the summer; so plan accordingly.  He said Spring and winter are great times to come.  I would highly recommend this park.

Doug

How were the bathrooms, and I know it's not the Fort, but are there enough things to do to keep a couple of grandkids busy for 2 or 3 days?

How were the bathrooms, and I know it's not the Fort, but are there enough things to do to keep a couple of grandkids busy for 2 or 3 days?

The bathrooms weren't great.  They had several houses closed, and the ones that were open did not have all of the showers working.  However, the toilet areas weren't bad and they were clean.  I think there is enough trails to keep people busy for 2 days.  We camped 2 nights, and thought that was a decent amount.  Had our A/C been working, 3 nights may have been relaxing.  However, I'd wait for later in the fall or the spring to go.  Someone camping near us said in the summer, starting in mid to late June, the mosquitoes just come out in swarms.  They've actually had to leave early during those times because there is just no way to stay outside. 

The trails were really nice.  The pictures don't really do it justice.

The bathrooms weren't great.  They had several houses closed, and the ones that were open did not have all of the showers working.  However, the toilet areas weren't bad and they were clean.  I think there is enough trails to keep people busy for 2 days.  We camped 2 nights, and thought that was a decent amount.  Had our A/C been working, 3 nights may have been relaxing.  However, I'd wait for later in the fall or the spring to go.  Someone camping near us said in the summer, starting in mid to late June, the mosquitoes just come out in swarms.  They've actually had to leave early during those times because there is just no way to stay outside. 

The trails were really nice.  The pictures don't really do it justice.

thanks

Some of you pictures remind me of Merchants Millpond State Park here in NC. It was built on Lassiter Swamp and is about the northern most habitat for the American Alligator. We've only hiked around the water and the upland forest area but have been told the swamp is best seen from canoe or kayak which we plan to do our next trip. 

Some of you pictures remind me of Merchants Millpond State Park here in NC. It was built on Lassiter Swamp and is about the northern most habitat for the American Alligator. We've only hiked around the water and the upland forest area but have been told the swamp is best seen from canoe or kayak which we plan to do our next trip. 

At Highlands Hammock they do have a tram tour for $5 that takes you back into areas with more alligators, turtles and other wildlife.  We didn't have time to take it, but somebody in the campground showed us pictures and it looked great.