Magic Kingdom last minute time changes

So maybe I just never really paid attention before, it's because it's "off" season, or something new Disney is doing, but twice this trip the hours of the MK have extended.

The first time I noticed was during Magic hours on a Saturday. Checked MDE just after the EWP at the Contemporary and it said extra magic hours ended at 12am. Around 11 I was chatting with some people and we looked and MDE said 1am. Sure enough the park stayed open till 1.

Today the did the same thing, except no extra magic hours tonight. Closing extended by an hour.

They aren't really announcing it, just happens to be if you keep checking the park closing time. Some of the CM were talking about it as well but just saying they had to work an hour longer than they were scheduled.

This happened to us last year. We were at the MK on Veteran's day and it was a zoo (I had no idea FL schools were closed that day) and we just so happened to hear the announcement that they extended the park hours. It was so crowded we said forget it and left. Had the kids nap from like 3-7 and then we went back from 8-12. The last 2 hours were awesome. It was so empty. We got way more done in the last 2 hours than the 4 hours we were there earlier.

It stinks if you don't know they extended them, but it helps keep the crowds away if they don't know lol.

I don't know why they do it,  but they extend the MK hours quite a bit this time of year.

Most of the staff working the evening shifts at the MK are the College Program kids.

They get no advance notice- and find out after they're already at work that they have to stay later.

Actually, I do know why they do it- it's a money grab by those in charge. If there's a good crowd, keeping the park open an hour longer gives all the guests an extra hour to spend money in the shops and restaurants.

TCD