Looking to buy a single hot plate/electric burner to use outside of the camper.   I would prefer to not cook a lot inside b/c I don't like the smells to linger... I'm not a good cook, haha  :lol:  I already have a couple of electric skillets that I use... now I just need a hot plate to boil water/noodles. 

Does anyone have a brand that they can recommend?  Don't want to spend a lot, but also don't want to buy cheap just for it to be... well, cheap.

We'll be trying our induction NuWave over Thanksgiving.  I gotta check the pand in the MH to be sure they are steel, not copper or aluminum.  I don't have any idea what these cost. The boss bought them.   :lol:

Ours came with a magnet to test your pots and pans.

Another thing is to make sure the bottom of the pot/pan is the correct size.  Our instructions had the sizes listed.

Looking to buy a single hot plate/electric burner to use outside of the camper.   I would prefer to not cook a lot inside b/c I don't like the smells to linger... I'm not a good cook, haha  :lol:  I already have a couple of electric skillets that I use... now I just need a hot plate to boil water/noodles. 

Does anyone have a brand that they can recommend?  Don't want to spend a lot, but also don't want to buy cheap just for it to be... well, cheap.

There are small single burner gas stoves also, some use the propane tanks and others use the old time coleman liquid fuel.

Have you looked at induction cooking plates?

They stay fairly cool to the touch.

Only drawback is you have to use pans and pots that are steel (a magnet will stick to them).

We got the plate off of Woot for a good price.

It took us a while to find pots that didn't cost a fortune.  Found a set at K-Mart.

I haven't and have always wondered the difference between an induction plate and a typical hot plate...

I haven't and have always wondered the difference between an induction plate and a typical hot plate...

Here's a description from one at Amazon

The fastest way to cook- quicker than gas or electric burners

• Cook at a high heat with no open flame; the pan becomes the heating element
  • Digital controls set to 6 temperature settings
  • Programmable timer sets to 180 minutes
  • Shuts off automatically once cookware is removed

Here's one at Home Depot

f3ee1c1b-5dc7-4a83-b9df-be4164b9f605_400

KALORIK's Induction Cooking Plate features a black crystal glass plate that delivers evenly distributed heat when cooking with induction-compatible pots and pans. This handy and portable appliance offers exceptional convenience in a dorm room, apartment, while traveling, or as an extra cooking aide in your home. Convenient touch panel control has 4-digit LED digital display. It features an adjustable power setting to control the exact amount of energy needed. Whether simmering a sauce on low or boiling water this cooking plate saves time and energy, all while remaining cool to the touch and safe for your family, unlike traditional heating elements. With its stylish curved design and eye-catching appearance, this cooking plate fits perfectly on any countertop. Glass plate requires little cleaning effort, thus avoiding burned residue and undesirable results.

• Black crystal glass cooking surface measures 9.85 in. x 9.85 in.
  • No frame around the glass surface allows use of various pan sizes
  • 24-hour preset function and timer
  • Induction cooking is faster and more energy efficient than traditional electric cooking surface
  • Surface stays cool to the touch at all times, unlike other traditional heating elements
  • Easy to clean, with no risk of burned residue on the glass surface
  • Adjustable power for instant and precise temperature adjustments

A regular hot plate typically looks like a burner from a electric range (the black coil type) in a smaller size.

They get hot, stay hot, and use a lot more energy/electric.

But you can use any type of pot and pan as long as it fits on the coil.

Here's a description from one at Amazon

The fastest way to cook- quicker than gas or electric burners

• Cook at a high heat with no open flame; the pan becomes the heating element
  • Digital controls set to 6 temperature settings
  • Programmable timer sets to 180 minutes
  • Shuts off automatically once cookware is removed

Here's one at Home Depot

f3ee1c1b-5dc7-4a83-b9df-be4164b9f605_400

KALORIK's Induction Cooking Plate features a black crystal glass plate that delivers evenly distributed heat when cooking with induction-compatible pots and pans. This handy and portable appliance offers exceptional convenience in a dorm room, apartment, while traveling, or as an extra cooking aide in your home. Convenient touch panel control has 4-digit LED digital display. It features an adjustable power setting to control the exact amount of energy needed. Whether simmering a sauce on low or boiling water this cooking plate saves time and energy, all while remaining cool to the touch and safe for your family, unlike traditional heating elements. With its stylish curved design and eye-catching appearance, this cooking plate fits perfectly on any countertop. Glass plate requires little cleaning effort, thus avoiding burned residue and undesirable results.

• Black crystal glass cooking surface measures 9.85 in. x 9.85 in.
  • No frame around the glass surface allows use of various pan sizes
  • 24-hour preset function and timer
  • Induction cooking is faster and more energy efficient than traditional electric cooking surface
  • Surface stays cool to the touch at all times, unlike other traditional heating elements
  • Easy to clean, with no risk of burned residue on the glass surface
  • Adjustable power for instant and precise temperature adjustments

A regular hot plate typically looks like a burner from a electric range (the black coil type) in a smaller size.

They get hot, stay hot, and use a lot more energy/electric.

But you can use any type of pot and pan as long as it fits on the coil.

Thanks... still trying to decide.  Plans for this next trip only include two pots to boil so, I may just break down and do those in the camper.  We'll see  :rolleyes:

Aldi's ad in today's paper has a portable Induction cooktop on special for $39.99. 

There is also showing in same box a ceramic fry pan, $14.99. 

Thanks :)   Thinking it over, I don't think that an induction top would work for us as the pasta pan that I have (and love) won't; it's aluminum :(