Besides being right up there with the amount of crazy news stories, and perpetual botched elections, Florida now has another claim at being a number 1 state.

We are Number 1 in the amount of toll roads !  We check in at 719 miles,

Oklahoma is # 2 with a paltry 605.

Even Texas where it takes a day to drive across and everything is 4 hours apart, is # 5 at 503.

And now our governor has handed over the keys to the state to some cronies of his, that are making the Lexus toll lanes in Orlando and are pushing hard in Tampa to get them approved.  This private company will collect and keep the majority of the money collected for themselves.

you mean the express lanes?  

the term Lexus lanes has nothing to do with Lexus or Toyota for that matter, it has to do with Luxury cars using those lanes... in south Florida they call them Maserati lanes as well at a $1/ mile it adds up quick

This is just another outrageous fact about the mess of a State that we call home.  We have no income tax, but we get clipped for all kinds of other stuff.

A couple of weeks ago, there was an article in the Tampa Bay Times about how tourists are up in arms after being assessed fees by rental car companies for driving through the Sun Pass lanes in rental cars.  Our wonderful legislators were quoted about how something needs to be done to protect the tourists from the rental car companies.  Uh- how about getting rid of some of the toll roads?

TCD

And here I am looking forward to becoming a resident of your great state. :)

Don't let the toll roads deter you.  I can get all the way from the gulf coast to WDW and back without driving on any toll roads.

In some places, the toll roads have helped to move traffic off of some of the busier free roads, do that's a good thing too.

I am not sure what is going on in and around Miami, though.  My oldest daughter lives there now, and she's been running up tolls on the transponder which is conveniently linked to my credit card.  It seems that the only way to get from here to there in Miami is to drive on toll roads.  And it adds up to the tune of $20 or more a month.

TCD

Ehh, truth be told- I'm not likely to *move* there any time soon. I am just looking for somewhere that is more tax + homeschool beneficial for me since it looks like we are staying in the camper for a while.

Just like every other state/place you go, there's good and bad things.

Seems like Florida has been accelerating at lightning speeds towards the bad things for the last few years.

Just like every other state/place you go, there's good and bad things.

Seems like Florida has been accelerating at lightning speeds towards the bad things for the last few years.

Yup.

Florida is run by special interest groups and their lobbyists.

Just a couple of months ago, some crooks came up with a scheme to privatize our state driver's licenses.

That one was quashed when people started asking too many questions about where all the revenue from that deal would go.

On and on it goes.

TCD

Ehh, truth be told- I'm not likely to *move* there any time soon. I am just looking for somewhere that is more tax + homeschool beneficial for me since it looks like we are staying in the camper for a while.

I've read that Texas and/or South Dakota are two best "fultimers" home residence states

I've read that Texas and/or South Dakota are two best "fultimers" home residence states

Yep. There are 7 states that do not have state income taxes (Texas, Florida, and South Dakota are included). I've read that Texas and Florida are both more amenable to home/road-schooling so, for whatever the reason, that takes out SD. With Florida, they actually have reviews and other stuff for homeschoolers unless you join a private home school umbrella and then you just have to adhere to the rules of that umbrella organization. Apparently there is more than one that is free.

For Texas, if you need health insurance, it can be more difficult or expensive than other places with the introduction of ObamaCare. Fortunately for me, I have health insurance through work.

It comes down to a flip of a coin for FL vs. TX for me. Florida is more convenient as we have 3 weeks to 3 months planned there starting in February (still trying to firm up plans).

Yep. There are 7 states that do not have state income taxes (Texas, Florida, and South Dakota are included). I've read that Texas and Florida are both more amenable to home/road-schooling so, for whatever the reason, that takes out SD. With Florida, they actually have reviews and other stuff for homeschoolers unless you join a private home school umbrella and then you just have to adhere to the rules of that umbrella organization. Apparently there is more than one that is free.

For Texas, if you need health insurance, it can be more difficult or expensive than other places with the introduction of ObamaCare. Fortunately for me, I have health insurance through work.

It comes down to a flip of a coin for FL vs. TX for me. Florida is more convenient as we have 3 weeks to 3 months planned there starting in February (still trying to firm up plans).

Florida has free homeschooling access to the public school curriculum. Not sure how it works statewide. I know our county offers it from K thru 12 if you are a resident.