Semi spur of the moment park trip... no camping

Or why we love living 75 miles from Disney.

We were finally getting caught up with our Christmas chores around the house.  Finished decorating the yard on Saturday, got packages wrapped, boxed, and mailed on Sunday (thanks to the automated kiosks in the Post Office lobby).

Being in the Christmas Spirit and with our passes Blackout Day of 12/17 approaching, we decided a quick trip to WDW was in order.

It would just be the 2 of us, a rarity in itself, since my granddaughters pass had expired and my daughter hasn't made a trip to Orlando yet to renew it.

So yesterday I got off of work early, ran home, got changed and dropped my granddaughter off at her girls club and at 3:30 away we went eastward to the Most Magical Place on Earth.

Or at least we tried.  Got a mile down the Interstate and hit a 10 minute traffic jam.  Too many cars and a poorly planned exit  from I-275 onto I-4.

Overcame that hurdle and off we went.

Since we had been lucky enough to see the Osborne Lights on their sneak peek opening night, and with everyone's reports of utter chaos at HS, our main mission was to go to EPCOT for the Candlelight Processional, and to see some hotel decorations, mainly the Grand Floridian's gingerbread house and tree.

Time to get back to work, break time over.  Update to follow soon.

I know jealousy is a bad thing, but I am truly jealous. :)

These last few days make us appreciate living in FL, though getting eaten alive by mosquitoes or having a heat stroke putting up outdoor Christmas decorations was a little rough!

Last night was great at EPCOT, warm but not too warm, rain had stopped so the humidity was down.

Walking around in shorts, t-shirt and crocs on 12/15.

But, we paid the price this summer.  Opressivley hot and rainy even for FL standards

I thought that you lived east of Malfunction Junction (I-4 and I-275 intersection).  A ten minute delay there is nothing.

It's about 85 miles from my house to Exit 62 on I-4 (the first Disney exit).  Once I'm on I-4, it's usually an hour drive.  But to get from my house to I-4, which is only about 20 miles depending on what route I take, will always take me at least 30 minutes, and most of the time, it's close to an hour.

TCD

I thought that you lived east of Malfunction Junction (I-4 and I-275 intersection).  A ten minute delay there is nothing.

It's about 85 miles from my house to Exit 62 on I-4 (the first Disney exit).  Once I'm on I-4, it's usually an hour drive.  But to get from my house to I-4, which is only about 20 miles depending on what route I take, will always take me at least 30 minutes, and most of the time, it's close to an hour.

TCD

We live a few blocks west of I-275 and  below Fletcher Ave, exit 52

My granddaughters girls club is down near Lowry Park, so I got back on 275 S heading towards the I-4 junction.

That exit backs up for a couple of miles in the morning, I didn't think there would be an issue at 3:30.

Usually we shoot straight down Fletcher to I-75 S to I-4.

It's about 7 miles and 15-20 minutes from home to 75 depending on the lights/traffic.

We live a few blocks west of I-275 and  below Fletcher Ave, exit 52

My granddaughters girls club is down near Lowry Park, so I got back on 275 S heading towards the I-4 junction.

That exit backs up for a couple of miles in the morning, I didn't think there would be an issue at 3:30.

Usually we shoot straight down Fletcher to I-75 S to I-4.

It's about 7 miles and 15-20 minutes from home to 75 depending on the lights/traffic.

No worries- all those traffic problems are going to be solved once the Governor's buddies build their premium pay lanes.

TCD

So, we got to WDW with no more issues.  We went over to the Boardwalk to see if we could score some complimentary parking.  We wanted to visit the resorts to see the lights.  Nope, guard told us that all they had was valet parking, and that we should head to Disney Springs and get a bus back. 

Well poking around I was able to get us a place to park so we headed back to the Boardwalk to see the gingerbread house.

There were very few decorations in the main lobby, and the gingerbread house was more like a gingerbread shed.  It was nice, but not that impressive.

We walked around some more, then headed to EPCOT.

Grabbed a schedule, and saw that a lot of the Christmas things ended around 4:30.  Different characters, singers, etc.  Wasn't that big a deal since we were there to go to the candlelight show.

We stopped at France and waited for Pere Noel their Santa Claus.  He was very good, and told a great little story.

I've got some pictures, but I don't know if I'll be able to upload them using TapaTalk.

We wandered over towards the candlelight area a and saw a huge line that was the dinner reservation group.  We went a little further and encountered an even longer line for the standby line.  My wife asked a CM what were the chances of getting a seat and she said pretty good.

When they let us in, we ended up in the last row, dead center to the stage.  Couldn't have asked for a better seat.

Our narrator was America Ferrera (Ugly Betty).  She was good, voice could've been a little stronger/deeper but she was energetic and clear.

With that out of the way, our next goal was The Grand Floridian.

We got to the monorail platform just as one arrived.  I bet it's been about 10 years or more since the last time we rode this one, and I think we were in the front on the way to EPCOT.

Didn't have to wait long to catch the resort monorail, then it was off the the GF.

Now they have some impressive decorations!  We walked in and they had a choir/glee club singing in front of the tree.

As impressive as the tree was, the gingerbread house blew it away.

I couldn't believe the details and the amount of work that went into making this creation.

After walking around outside, it was a quick trip to the MK to get a bus back to the Boardwalk.

On the way from the monorail station, I wasn't sure if the park was open or if it was a party night so I walked up to the non bag guard to ask.  Guess he was having a bad day, before I even got that close he asked what do you want in a not so friendly voice.

He told me it was a party night so we headed to the bus depot.  Behind him was a K-9,  his handler and another officer.

Didn't have too long a wait for the bus back.

As we were walking to the truck the EPCOT fireworks show started and we could see some above the trees.

We decided to take a drive over to Celebration.  My wife had seen that a house over there was featured Monday night on that ABC show The Great Light Fight.  I looked it up to get the address, and it turns out it wasn't just the one house, the entire street was featured.

A quick entry into Google Maps and we were on our way.

On the way over, we were able to see the finale of the EPCOT fireworks.

The lighting display was impressive. 

So much so, we drove thru 2 times.

About 8 or so houses on each side of the street were all tied into the same sound track,

One house had a video of Santa dancing projected onto their front door.

As we made the second trip, a song  was getting ready to start.  My wife said look there's smoke/fog coming out of the one display.  Just as we pulled even with the main house a huge flame shot up, the Star Wars theme started and the lights went crazy.

If you are at the Fort, it's well worth your time to take a ride over there.  It's about 8 miles and about a 15-20 minute drive.

I'm sure the best time to go is a week night.

Here's the street name   Jeater Bend Drive, Kissimmee FL

Well that wraps it up unless I can get some pictures uploaded.

Short and sweet, but we had a great time.

Wonderful weather, not too crowded, not too many people blocking the walkways oblivious to everyone around them.

Y'all did a lot in one afternoon/evening.

Good job, and thanks for sharing.

TCD

We had a good time.

I think after the holidays that's how we will be doing our visits.

We only have certain afternoons that we could head over there due to my granddaughters schedule.

So we will pick a day, see what park is open the latest and drive on over.

Spend a few hours, then head back.

Weeknights seem to be less crowded than weekdays, and definitely better than weekends!

We had a good time.

I think after the holidays that's how we will be doing our visits.

We only have certain afternoons that we could head over there due to my granddaughters schedule.

So we will pick a day, see what park is open the latest and drive on over.

Spend a few hours, then head back.

Weeknights seem to be less crowded than weekdays, and definitely better than weekends!

That's the beauty of being a passholder.

We rarely are at one park for more than a few hours at a time anymore.  I'll use my FP+ allotment, and get out of there.  There isn't anything I'm willing to wait in a long line to do.

TCD