On New Year's Eve, Judy and I and another couple ate a late dinner at Trail's End, then went down to the beach to watch the MK fireworks at midnight.  Afterwards, we took our time heading to the Settlement bus stop, getting there about 12:40 or so. We joined a crowd of well over 100 people waiting for a bus to take us out to the parking lot. A bus was loading when we arrived; someone said it was an express going to the parking lot.

After waiting for more than 30 minutes for a bus, and watching two buses come down Fort Wilderness Trail and turn right onto Big Pine Road, I walked over to the cart trail at the intersection to see if I could beg a ride to the parking lot from a passing golf cart. I encountered some Disney Recreation cast members and explained the situation to them and ask if they could help get some buses. One of the CMs had a radio and used it to talk to someone but basically they offered no help, just saying we should continue to wait.  I then flagged down a passing golf cart, and a nice couple drove me to the parking lot where I got my car and drove back to the Settlement bus stop to get the rest of my party. 

While I was getting my car, 2 Magic Kingdom buses came down W Wilderness Rd. The first MK bus left for the MK with no one on board but the 2nd MK bus was about to be "hijacked" by some upset people when a bus designated Magical Moments showed up and started loading people. That's when I arrived with my car and we loaded up and left. I don't know how or when the remaining people finally left. While I was driving on Ft Wilderness Rd to the Settlement bus stop, I noticed a number of families walking along Fort Wilderness Trail so I assume they gave up and walked back to their sites. It was now after 1:30 AM. 

What I'd like to know is why did Disney stop running the internal buses so soon after a major event like the fireworks, and why couldn't they put a sign at the bus stop letting people know when the last bus would depart?  

We sat at the settlement depot one night and saw numerous busses come and go for all the loops and Wilderness Lodge except the yellow route. Finally when the 3 or 4 Wilderness Lodge bus arrived with no passengers and no one waiting, he took us up the yellow route. Don't know who or how they were scheduling the busses, maybe the legendary Lou would know. We saw 3 yellow busses arriving only to have their signs change before they got to the depot.

We sat at the settlement depot one night and saw numerous busses come and go for all the loops and Wilderness Lodge except the yellow route. Finally when the 3 or 4 Wilderness Lodge bus arrived with no passengers and no one waiting, he took us up the yellow route. Don't know who or how they were scheduling the busses, maybe the legendary Lou would know. We saw 3 yellow busses arriving only to have their signs change before they got to the depot.

When we were there this past November we saw hardly any Orange buses at night when we wanted to go from the Settlement to our loop. We would see two or three Yellow line or Purple line buses in a row. It was like they had one Orange bus running with multiple buses on the other routes. I get the impression nobody is scheduling the buses. The drivers just walk in, pick their favorite color and that's what you get for that shift. 

When we were there this past November we saw hardly any Orange buses at night when we wanted to go from the Settlement to our loop. We would see two or three Yellow line or Purple line buses in a row. It was like they had one Orange bus running with multiple buses on the other routes. I get the impression nobody is scheduling the buses. The drivers just walk in, pick their favorite color and that's what you get for that shift. 

And maybe they are color blind!

Mike- I am confused by something you said in your initial post above. Are you saying two buses marked Magic Kingdom showed up at the Settlement Bus Stop?

TCD

We rode a bus from the Magic Kingdom to the Settlement depot on December 30th after the NYE fireworks that night (they shot them off the 30th and 31st).  The boats were suspended from operating until 1230 AM to make sure all was safe on the water, so the load was taken up by the busses.  We got on at magic Kingdom, rode to Wilderness Lodge, and then straight to the Settlement depot to save time.  Then the bus went back the same route for another load. 

Mike- I am confused by something you said in your initial post above. Are you saying two buses marked Magic Kingdom showed up at the Settlement Bus Stop?

TCD

TCD, that is correct.  Actually, it was three MK buses that came to the Settlement bus stop. The first one came while I was at the stop, and the other two came and departed while I was getting my car.  They all arrived and departed via W Wilderness Road. We figured they had been to WL and then used W Wilderness Rd as a shortcut to the Fort. The buses could have been turning onto Frontier Way to get to the Outpost bus stop, but we couldn't see if they turned or not.

We rode a bus from the Magic Kingdom to the Settlement depot on December 30th after the NYE fireworks that night (they shot them off the 30th and 31st).  The boats were suspended from operating until 1230 AM to make sure all was safe on the water, so the load was taken up by the busses.  We got on at magic Kingdom, rode to Wilderness Lodge, and then straight to the Settlement depot to save time.  Then the bus went back the same route for another load. 

When you got to the Settlement depot, did you take an internal bus to your site?  

When you got to the Settlement depot, did you take an internal bus to your site?  

We were staying in the 200 loop, so we didn't need to.  Other people got on a bus that pulled up, but I can't remember what color it was. 

We were at the beach on New Year's Eve itself, but after the fireworks walked back to our camper via the 100 loop near the trading Post.  So I didn't see what was going on at the Settlement Depot that night.

We were staying in the 200 loop, so we didn't need to.  Other people got on a bus that pulled up, but I can't remember what color it was. 

We were at the beach on New Year's Eve itself, but after the fireworks walked back to our camper via the 100 loop near the trading Post.  So I didn't see what was going on at the Settlement Depot that night.

OK, thanks. Since the MK was open until 2AM on Thursday, anyone coming back to the Fort by bus or boat would have been in the same boat we were. 

Ah. I understand. I've been to the Fort for NYE (and the 4th of July) when they suspend boat traffic for the fireworks. But, I've never tried returning to the Fort from the MK before the boat service was resumed.

TCD, that is correct.  Actually, it was three MK buses that came to the Settlement bus stop. The first one came while I was at the stop, and the other two came and departed while I was getting my car.  They all arrived and departed via W Wilderness Road. We figured they had been to WL and then used W Wilderness Rd as a shortcut to the Fort. The buses could have been turning onto Frontier Way to get to the Outpost bus stop, but we couldn't see if they turned or not.

I see.  What I suspect happened here was a screw-up by management. Typically, that late at night, they abandon the Yellow/Orange/Purple designation on the buses, and they all simply will say "Fort Wilderness."  Buses will be parked at the Settlement, and load guests as they arrive from the marina, and take them to whatever loop they need to go to, traveling from the Settlement to the Outpost.  This works fine when it's not busy, as the way it works out, there is usually always a bus waiting at the Settlement.  On a busy night, this procedure would be a fail, as buses would be traveling in a disorganized pattern, and not following the regular routes.  On the other end, they would be loading guests at the Outpost, and taking them to where they need to go.  The buses wait at the Outpost until they have passengers to take, and don't leave unless they have passengers on board.  I'll bet what happened is that there were buses parked at the Outpost waiting for passengers, instead of heading right back to the Settlement to pick up the guests waiting there.  Unfortunately, that's the kind of thing that happens when a place is managed by a bunch of idiots.

TCD