If you used a CC at Yak & Yeti

Just had to get a new card because mine had been compromised, then I read this and said sh** because we just ate at Yak+ Yeti Café a couple of weekends ago.   But the breach was last year so I should be safe.

For being the most powerful nation in the world, we really lag behind other countries on having our privacy/security protected.  Some European countries have had the chip cards for years.  Big business in this country controls all aspects of our life, even more so than the government on a lot of issues.

4 minutes ago, CJHokie said:

We have the same problem. I usually have my main CC# memorized, but we have had so many new ones recently my brain can't remember more than 12/16 of this new one.

That stinks. So far only happened to me once. Poor Beckers has cards she hasn't even used yet get hacked

2 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

That stinks. So far only happened to me once. Poor Beckers has cards she hasn't even used yet get hacked

They even set ours up so that anytime we are out of the state and try to use it, we can't.  Yes, we could call them before we leave and give them our travel dates, but we are always too busy and forget, so then we're at a truck stop on the phone with them.

51 minutes ago, CJHokie said:

They even set ours up so that anytime we are out of the state and try to use it, we can't.  Yes, we could call them before we leave and give them our travel dates, but we are always too busy and forget, so then we're at a truck stop on the phone with them.

They blocked my card when someone tried to use it on a Chinese web site.

Whats aggravating, is the credit union gets notified by "Master Card" that members cards may have been compromised, but they wont tell the CU where/when it happened

1 hour ago, CJHokie said:

As soon as we hit the Florida state line I know our CC will be locked up until I call. I've been told to call before traveling with an itinerary to prevent the locks to which I reply and that gives some stranger all the information they need to know about me not being home for a long period of time. That's the problem today, too many people have too much information that they don't really need. While security through obscurity isn't very strong it does go a long ways to stop break-ins and id theft. 

45 minutes ago, keith_h said:

As soon as we hit the Florida state line I know our CC will be locked up until I call. I've been told to call before traveling with an itinerary to prevent the locks to which I reply and that gives some stranger all the information they need to know about me not being home for a long period of time. That's the problem today, too many people have too much information that they don't really need. While security through obscurity isn't very strong it does go a long ways to stop break-ins and id theft. 

And here's something else to think about.  I read this on a kayaking blog and made changes as to where my info is stored.  If you leave your car for a length of time, (parking lot at a boat launch, amusement park parking lot, hotel, mall at Christmas time) and someone breaks into it, besides stealing whatever goods are in the car, they can get your home address from your registration, insurance papers, etc. and maybe even a house key. 

Then go break into your house or call an accomplice while they look for the next victim.  They know you will be out of the car and away from home for an extended period of time.  I keep all my papers hidden in the truck.  If I get pulled over, the cops will just have to wait while I remember where I hid the registration and dig it out!