Restaurantosaurus - Animal Kingdom

Would you believe yet another one we've never tried?? Anyone got any thoughts on this place?

From the Disney Food blog...

Review: Animal Kingdom’s Restaurantosaurus

May 8th, 2011 by AJ. Learn About:

RestaurantosaurusAnimal Kingdom

Disney World Restaurants I’ll admit it — this is one of my very favorite counter-service restaurants in Walt Disney World. Where else can you find this level of detail and theming while dining on the best chicken nuggets in the world?

Atmosphere

I have an unnatural love for Dinoland in the Animal Kingdom in the first place, and the extremely detailed theming and story behind Restaurantosaurus always makes me want to spend an hour or two just wandering around and looking at all of the decor in the different rooms.

restaurantosaurus-500x333.jpgOutdoor tables

The story behind Restaurantosaurus lies with the graduate students/paleontologists who live in the building. You’re not likely to see them, but you sure will see evidence of them. Who do you think “re-named” the restaurant and hauled those chairs and coolers up to the roof to enjoy the sunshine?

Throughout the restaurant, you’ll learn more about the students and their work.

Be sure to look closely, though — there are plenty of classic puns and jokes that you might miss if you don’t actually read the messages written! This is why I love this place — a rich sense of true Disney theming, even down to a level that most guests will never take the time to see.

Theming-inside-3-500x333.jpgTheming inside

These students are full of pranks, fun, and tradition. Check out the “Golden Trowel” award, given each year to the student who has the most finds during that year’s dig.

And these memory-filled painted rocks left behind by those students who have gone before. Many of these hold political and entertainment references to the years they represent!

Studen-Rocks-1-500x333.jpgStudent Rock

Of course, you won’t forget who’s living here when you see theming like this! Pretty gross, but, hey, they’re college kids, right?

Theming-inside-4-500x333.jpg

And I love the dino heads on the walls…

Theming-inside-500x333.jpg

Behind the counter, you’ll get the fun feeling of a well-used kitchen — accented with stuffed dinosaurs of course…

Theming-behind-the-counter-500x333.jpg

Theming behind the counter

So once you get your food, you have lots of choices of where to dine. We’re creatures of habit, so we always try to get our favorite table.

It’s in a room dubbed “The Hip Joint” (whomp, whomp), which looks to be a rec center for the students, complete with a half basketball court.

Basketball-Room-350x524.jpg

Basketball Room

And attached to this room is a real, live Airstream trailer. From the outside, it looks like this:

Theming-outside-restaurant-500x333.jpgEat here!

And our favorite table on the inside is this one:

Seating1-500x333.jpg

The jukebox is located in the trailer as well, featuring slightly re-vamped songs like “Puff the Magic Dino,” by Peter Paul and Mary; and “All Dug Up” by Elvis Presley. icon_wink.gif

Juke-Box-500x333.jpgJukebox

You can see why Disney nerds like me absolutely love this joint. 2719 Hyperion has a great piece about this room, if you want to check it out.

Eats

Food here is standard counter-service fare, though we’re excited to see they’ve added a shrimp po’ boy, a dig site salad, and a veggie sub recently!

Menu-22-350x495.jpg

click on image for larger version

Menu-3-350x456.jpg

click on image for larger version

Menu-4-500x314.jpg

click image for larger version

Menu-5-500x351.jpg

click image for larger version

We, of course, had to go for our favorites. Which I think is OK, because I haven’t featured Disney’s counter-service nuggets on this blog as of yet, I don’t believe! This is shocking, since I love Disney’s nuggets — seriously, I do. They have super-breading on them, so they’re always crunchy. And the slight bit of spice on them makes me always want to take a few bites without any sauces or condiments.

Nuggets-500x333.jpg

Restaurantosaurus Chicken Nuggets

The bacon cheeseburger was quite good as well. Not to dry at all, and while many folks don’t like the new whole wheat buns, we’re OK with them. The do fall apart easily, though, so go easy on the condiments…

Burger-500x333.jpg

Restaurantosaurus Bacon Cheeseburger

And though we didn’t try them, I stealthily snapped a few shots of the Dig Site Salad, the Veggie Sub, and the sand pail kids’ meals for you!

Salad-500x366.jpg

Dig Site Salad

Pails-and-Veggie-Sub-500x285.jpg

Sand Pail Kids' Meals and Veggie Sub on the Left

Note that the desserts look just as…well…sub-standard as many other counter-service desserts do. Of course, that’s just my opinion. Personally, I’d rather head over and get a paw print brownie or a Zebra Cupcake from Kusafiri Bakery!

Remember when I mentioned condiments up there in the burger section? Here are a few shots of the wonderful world of toppings at Restaurantosaurus! Remember — the toppings bar is “complimentary,” so you can use as much or as little as you want of these items.

Condiment-bar-2-500x244.jpg

Condiment-bar-3-500x333.jpg

And this counter-service location also has its fountain drink machines outside of the kitchen, so guests serve themselves.

Drinks-1-500x333.jpg

Sadly, that self-serve policy is not the case with the beers on tap — that one on the right is Safari Amber, a beer made exclusively for Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge. icon_smile.gif

Draft-Beer-350x524.jpgDraft Beer

Overall

I love Restaurantosaurus. You obviously know that by now, but I’ll just keep on recommending it.

While Flame Tree Barbecue is clearly a counter-service favorite in Animal Kingdom and Anandapur Local Food Cafes is a winner as well, I’ll secretly choose Restaurantosaurus every time. It’s just too hokey and fun to not want to head back and see what you missed the last time.

Plus… there are NUGGETS there!!

http://www.disneyfoo...taurantosaurus/

• 4 years later...

Disney Food Blog has posted a new review of Restaurantosaurus...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2016/04/13/review-updated-menu-and-premium-topping-bar-at-animal-kingdoms-restaurantosaurus/

Excerpt...

Topping Bar List

Roasted Chicken with Mixed Greens Salad

Roasted Chicken with Mixed Greens Salad

Honestly, the presentation was lacking and I thought the amount of food was surpringly small for the $10.49 price tag. I think a large filled bowl would make a lot more sense here, as opposed to a plate where everything barely covers the bottom. Good thing you can fill ‘er up with some of those Premium Toppings, huh?

Chili Cheese Hot Dog and Fries

Chili Cheese Hot Dog and Fries

Warm Chocolate Turtle Brownie

Warm Turtle Brownie