We are thinking of staying at SOB on our trip down in August... Anyone have any input for this campground? We stopped in one of their lots and had lunch on the way home last trip but didn't visit for long!

It is about 1/2 way for us so seemed like a good choice.

Thank you

removed old edit

Never stayed there, thought about it a couple times.  Last year we stayed at The New Green Acres in Walterboro, SC.  It's alittle more of a drive, but easy on and off.  Nothing spectacular, but clean, nice big sites in a wooded area. 

http://www.newgreenacres.com/

We have stayed at both.  New Green Acres is a standard stop, as you say its not the Fort but its got big sites and is clean and has late check-in.

SOB is also a good stop. Until you find and enter the campground you wouldn't know it was there. Its also got lots of pull throughs and clean bathrooms. Its also wooded and mostly very quiet. A surprise given where it is.

When I think about it, that's probably why I have never stopped.  I just can't figure out where the place is!

We stayed there on our way down last year. When heading south, you get off the SOB exit and as soon as you enter the "town" there was a gas station on both the right and left sides of the road. The CG (as I recall) was basically behind the one on the left side of the road. We checked in the office (a large barren room) but the clerk was efficient and and nice. The AAA rate was only $22. We pulled in at night and left early a.m. so we really didn't visit the town, but I do know that the recently updated indoor pool is open to campground guests. The park itself seemed old but very clean. Of note, while we were there in November they taking down lots of trees/brush right next to the CG so there may, at this time be some kind of work/construction going on. If this could be an issue for you I would check before going. Overall, I would recommend as an overnight stay.  ;)

Yeah, but where the heck is the campground?

The office and the gated entrance (keycard) are behind the "El Drug Store"  :dance:  which is on the left just after you pull in. Next to the Myrtle Beach Shop.  Just pull around between and behind the buildings (plenty of room) and you will see it.

As noted above, it is dated but clean and easy to get in and out. Once you are parked you would never know that you are just steps from one of the most amazing collections of Neon, Sombreros. greasy food and every souvenir known to man.  I Love it!  :D

There is also Bass Lake CG at exit 193 in Dillion, SC. If you are Passport America it's only $15. The owners took an old run down place rejuvenated it with new electric, shower/bathrooms/laundry and the owners (an english couple) are super nice. Easy on/off I95. Great spot for an overnight, safe, clean and economical.

B-B-B

I think SOB is a very easy stop large pull thrus but depending on the time of the year you might want to call ahead. The pull thrus are large so you do not have to unhook the back ins you will have to unhook. Bass lake and Green Acres are also very good options.

• 4 weeks later...

We've stayed there almost every time we go down from Maine and stop on the way back also.  Clean and very inexpensive and quiet.  Almost every time we go none of the rides are open though....maybe because most of the times it was in February??