Good so far! What about cooking needs? We always bring our camping stove and some propane. (Or is it gas? Thank goodness for a dh who takes care of all this for me!)

Unfortunately, that's one thing I'm not good at. When I go Scout camping, the troop has complete kitchens and the boys cook. When I tent camped at Disney, I ate out. (I still eat out when I bring the camper to Disney).

• 2 weeks later...

I'll jump in!

Seriously, a heater if you think it's going to be cold. 55 at night in a tent, on the ground is cold. And an extra blanket. Also a fan. Even when it's cold, a fan to move the air around and circulate the heat makes a huge difference.

Another must have is a timer. I picked one up from Amazon or somewhere like that for next to nothing. It's digital, for outdoors and has been a life saver when coming back late at night.

And finally, a good cooler. If you can, spend a little extra and get a decent one. You'll save enough on ice to pay the difference in one extended trip.

I'll jump in!

Seriously, a heater if you think it's going to be cold. 55 at night in a tent, on the ground is cold. And an extra blanket. Also a fan. Even when it's cold, a fan to move the air around and circulate the heat makes a huge difference.

When you are away from your tent during the day in the colder temps, open those windows and run that fan. Humans create LOTS of humidity overnight and you need to dry things out or you will be colder.

Another must have is a timer. I picked one up from Amazon or somewhere like that for next to nothing. It's digital, for outdoors and has been a life saver when coming back late at night.

I used to bring a timer to the Fort, but I don't bother any more, just leave the twinkly lights plugged in 24/7.

And finally, a good cooler. If you can, spend a little extra and get a decent one. You'll save enough on ice to pay the difference in one extended trip.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a cooler that keeps ice at the Fort more than 12 hours, and we've bought several.

If you want to do minimal cooking, an electric tea kettle can boil water for any number of uses, in no time. My DH uses a french press coffee press (I think that's what it's called?) to make his coffee when camping. I drink tea or hot chocolate, so it works for me. For cooking, a crock pot or slow cooker and/or an electric frying pan.

For inside the tent, a container of some sort (5 gallon bucket, rubbermaid bin, etc) as a bedside table. A power strip for the phone, camera, and nightlight.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a cooler that keeps ice at the Fort more than 12 hours, and we've bought several.

I can't agree more about the fan. Even when it's 50 out, the inside of the tent can feel damp.

I have a Rubbermaid chest type cooler. It keeps real ice, not the junk in the ice machine, for at least 24 hours in the cooler months. I'll let you know how well it does in the 94 degree heat after my trip next week. I used to have a Coleman cooler that I paid more for than I care to remember. It was definitely a 12 hour cooler. And forget that styrofoam junk. It won't make it 12 hours.

As a life-long tent camper (until 2 months ago), I have some things to add. It would be cool if someone made a Google doc to keep track of everyone's suggestions. Much easier than going through all the posts when this thread gets long. I would start it but I don't know how. undecided.gif

I second the fan and power-strip.

A mallet for tent stakes & air mattress repair kit are musts.

In colder months, electric blankets are nice since air mattresses are very cold! Putting the electric blanket under the mattress or under your body works best.

Since most tenters eat outside, a tablecoth for the picnic table and those little net food tents to keep the bugs off edibles.

Flashlights.

Cooler tips:

Buy quality and larger than you think you'll need - leaves more room for ice.

Freeze water in gallon ziploc bags or larger containers before you leave - lasts way longer than cubes.

Bring the cooler inside a couple days in advance so that it's not hot from storage.

Put some large ice blocks in the cooler the night before trip to cool it down. Remove and put new ice with food before you leave.

Freeze everything possible before putting in cooler.

Keep a seperate cooler for drinks so your perishable foods cooler will get opened less.

Never put unchilled drinks in cooler if you can help it.