HELP!!! I am about to be surrounded by 25 8-9 yr olds and their parents at the Weblos camporee this weekend. 2 fun filled nights at our local boy scout camp. I think I am gonna need some help with this, I am usually ready to strangle Matt after 10 minutes, what am I gonna do with all of these kids for 2 nights and 3 days???? LOL

I will take some pictures while we are there, but doubt I will post anything till we get back, there is no electric (GULP) and I will be in a TENT, A TENT??? Can you believe that, I won't have my queen sized pillow top bed, or my 32" flat screen or my fort wilderness throw on my nice couch, I won't even have my awning or my rocking chair!!! OMG I have to cook on a fire and I won't have a REFRIGERATOR!!!! OH THE HORROR!!! Worst of all, I won't have my laptop or my iPhone!

Erica figured a way out of this, she is working this weekend, so it is just Matt and I, and 24 other Weblos from my den, what was I thinking when I signed up to be a leader????

I have parents emailing me every 10 minutes asking what about this, should I bring that, heck I haven't even found our tent yet... maybe I should do that huh? I am used to getting ready to camp by backing my truck up to the already packed trailer, and going.... now I have to find a rain fly, and ground tarp, a folding camp chair, which on a good not, I am well under the weight limit now.... LOL

Wish me luck, and feel free to post some suggestions to make my life easier this weekend.

And to Al and Jim, No I will not be able to make them do forced marches and NO we will not have MRE's. :rofl2: They are only 8 and not 18. LOL

I tell everyone that it is like herding cats!!! I can usually keep 1 or 2 heading in the right direction, but when I go to get the others going, the first 2 end up going somewhere else... LOL

Then in 2 weeks, it is 3 more days of day camp with tigers through weblos, and I am in charge of that as well~!!! WHAT WAS I THINKING??? LOL

Then in 2 weeks, it is 3 more days of day camp with tigers through weblos, and I am in charge of that as well~!!! WHAT WAS I THINKING??? LOL

Just remember, it is "only an hour per week". To think of all the suckers (myself included) they got with that line. But you know what? I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything in the world! Happy camping.

Remember to teach them (kids and parents alike) how to handle gray water and food scraps left over from meals. I went backpacking in the Grand Canyon and the scout troop at the camping area was washing their dishes in the spring that was the only water source. Not good.

HELP!!! I think I am gonna need some help with this, I am usually ready to strangle Matt after 10 minutes, what am I gonna do with all of these kids for 2 nights and 3 days???? LOL

Take Frisbee's they are $1 each at the stores and make up a game or frisbee golf. Do a quite nature walk & tell them to count how many "animals or bugs" they can find. Dodge ball works!

I won't have my queen sized pillow top bed.Double high coleman queen air mattress is as good as the pillow top!

or my fort wilderness throw You can take the throw!

I won't even have my awning First up shade canopy,$99 at wal-mart

I won't have a REFRIGERATOR!!!! Cooler full of Ice

what was I thinking when I signed up to be a leader????P.T. Barnum said it best "There's a sucker born every minute."

now I have to find a rain fly, and ground tarp, a folding camp chair. Find or buy??

Wish me luck, GOOD LUCK

NO we will not have MRE's. They are only 8 and not 18. The boy scouts carry their food in!

P.S. Take a good whistle!!

My advice to you is simple.

PATIENCE!!!!

I was both a girl scout leader and a cub scout leader. I enjoyed camping with the cub scouts so much more. (Please don't take that the wrong way.) Girls are just too high maintainence for me. Boys aren't afraid of dirt and bugs. They also know how to occupy themselves better than girls.

I'm sure when you look back on this time in your life it will be with laughter and fondness. That's what happens after time allows us to forget the parts where we wanted to strangle the little tykes! :rofl2: Seriously, Relax and enjoy this special time with your son and all the boys who will be lucky to have someone like you spending time with them!

Good Luck!

I'm sure when you look back on this time in your life it will be with laughter and fondness. That's what happens after time allows us to forget the parts where we wanted to strangle the little tykes! :rofl2:

:rofl3: now you know why there's eleven years in between each of my three kids - it takes that long for me to forget... :rofl2:

On a serious note though... DH & I were just talking about how much we missed the scout camp weekends the other day... I'd even be happy to go back to tenting it during Klondike Derby with **shudder** two feet of snow on the ground again, if it meant being able to spend more time with the group of little boys in khaki shirts who somehow grew into responsible men while my back was turned.

Enjoy your weekend. Savor the moments now, they pass way too quickly.... Oh, and it couldn't hurt to have them make you some peach cobbler as long as they're out there anyway... just think how jealous the other webelos leaders will be when they smell it... they'll be sure you're a super-dad - and you are! :highfive:

Time for therapy this morning, only a couple left, then time to pack up and hit the road!! I am actually looking forward to it, just don't tell Matt, I am using this as leverage to make him behave! LOL It's not that far from home if I forget anything, and walmart is even closer, so no problems, what can go wrong??? RIGHT??? LOL

and the Duct Tape. It isn't child abuse to tape them to a tree and have the others do a "Search & Rescue" mission. :rofl2:

Dang Ed, you beat me to the duck tape comment! Herding that many 8 year olds is like trying to staple jello to a wall.. go with the flow John go with the flow! I'll be thinking of you this weekend! :rofl2:

Well night was great up till now, almost midnight and the first of what looks like many thunderstorms is here! I want my camper!!!!! Lol haven't been in a tent in a storm in a long time, hope I stay reasonably dry. Matt is passed out, I can't sleep worrying about stuff lol bit rain on the rain fly sounds so cool!!! Thunder Not so much :(

Well night was great up till now, almost midnight and the first of what looks like many thunderstorms is here! I want my camper!!!!! Lol haven't been in a tent in a storm in a long time, hope I stay reasonably dry. Matt is passed out, I can't sleep worrying about stuff lol bit rain on the rain fly sounds so cool!!! Thunder Not so much :(