Oh by golly, we went to Folly!

Great update. And aren't you the resourceful one. Good thinking :banana:

I try to think on my feet. :rolleyes: Although it is not unusual for me to tell DH something I am planning to do and he says "Oh that will not work" or something like that. Then it does! :banana: I did send the purse through the washer and dryer and it came out okay!

You were only a couple of hours from me!!! So close... yet so far.

I LOVE the purse cooler! Pure genius! Looking forward to hearing all about your trip. (As H said, we love James Island and Folly Beach!) :banana:

I know - I thought about you guys. I wondered if there were any campgrounds around because I didn't see any signs for any.

You're off to a great start! I love the beach (though I HATE sand :rolleyes: ) But the views, the winds, and the beach smell is wonderful!

My skin did crawl a bit when I saw your DD making sand angels! :panic:

I am sooooo the opposite. Not about the gritty "junk" :rofl2: ... just about sand in general. Doesn't bother me. DH hates it too - I tried to tell him to just "give in" to the overall sticky, gritty beach thing but he just can't. Poor guy. He's a good sport for the kids, though.

Oh, and if you sit on a chair, you generally won't have to worry about your junk. How are you sitting that you get so sandy like that? :rofl2: You're totally gonna die with some of these pics coming up then... you know kids are so graceful... :blink:

Okay, I am desperately putting off writing another paper. I'm working on my masters degree right now and am trying to finish up a Probability/Statistics class. ProbStat is the armpit of math. I swear.

Anyway, what better way to procrastinate than post some pics??? :banana:

View from our balcony off to the left:

cb14b1ac.jpg

View from our balcony to the right:

f2e6977f.jpg

Look out below!!! I believe those are the "patio" rooms. Look pretty cool.

2b3b9c7f.jpg

DD wakes up at 7:15 :argh: Doesn't she know she was up til midnight?! Oh well, so I do the thing any good mommy would do - I pop in a movie and lay back down. :rofl2: She watches Peter Pan and by the time she's done, we are all 3 ready to get up. I get her dressed and we brush our teeth and head downstairs for breakfast. There is not a free breakfast, but a buffet in the restaurant. It was $7.95/$5.95 for continental or you could do $11.95/$9.95 to add the hot buffet.

All the doors to this hotel open to an outside hallway. I posted a couple of pics from out here yesterday.

9426b9dd.jpg

I've already mentioned that there are very limited accomodations out here as far as hotels go. So, I've been noticing this almost empty lot over here to the right.

6df3431f.jpg

It appears someone is using that little house in the middle of the big empty lot.

63645de2.jpg

Are they working on the taller house? I see a lot of scaffolding but it doesn't look inhabited. I guess my question is: are these people making THAT much off parking that they don't want to build something there? I would build myself a nice house on the side facing the ocean, then maybe build some condos around with a pool in the middle. Everything was booked this weekend at Folly - even the 2 B&Bs we found online. So, I would guess you'd make your money back, right?

32b297e6.jpg

Unless he's making his living on the shaved ice...

61c426f5.jpg

Does anyone else find that weird?... I don't like it when things don't make sense. Or aren't at least funny if they aren't making sense.

I promise we will get back down to the beach eventually...

Having breakfast...

5fd030db.jpg

Yes, that is Marie lying in the middle of the table. She goes with us everywhere. If anyone knows where to find her at Disney, I would love to know. We're going in a few weeks and DD would just LOVE to meet her!

They had cereal, fruit, yogurt, various sweet breads on the continental breakfast. We got plenty to eat. The only cereals they had were Frosted Flakes, Rice Krispies, and Raisin Bran.

Back upstairs and everyone was up and putting swimsuits on - off to the beach! Here come your sand shots, Stef.

ea7762fc-1.jpg

7e6538dc-1.jpg

ad22ea57-1.jpg

Sorry 'bout the fuzzies - not sure if SiL would want the kids on the internet like that. I'm kinda funny about it myself, don't know why. I'm just weird like that. You won't see any close-up, face-on pics of us either. Backs of heads and profiles I'm okay with though. Go figure.

That's all for now - I'll have some pics from lunch coming up later. I'm really, really, really going to get to work now...

Scared.gif

OH MY, your poor little daughter is probably still chafing from all that sand! I do try to stay on/in a chair, but sometimes you have to get down and dirty in it! Even when I forgo the sandcastle building or boogie boarding and just take a dip, that darn sand finds its way into every nook and cranny :laugh:

The view is beautiful though! (the ocean, not the parking lot) Looks like everyone was having a good time!

Your daughter is a cutie pie :banana: I want to be on a beach right now, the kids look like they were having a blast. :banana:

Thanks! They were having a blast - just digging and digging!

Scared.gif

OH MY, your poor little daughter is probably still chafing from all that sand! I do try to stay on/in a chair, but sometimes you have to get down and dirty in it! Even when I forgo the sandcastle building or boogie boarding and just take a dip, that darn sand finds its way into every nook and cranny :laugh:

The view is beautiful though! (the ocean, not the parking lot) Looks like everyone was having a good time!

I think that is why a lot of people don't like the sand. It just gets EVERYWHERE! :blink: I was unpacking our dirty clothes and putting them in the washer and ended up with sand all over the laundry room - had to sweep it out! We'll be finding sand in stuff for weeks. We all had a great time - it's a fun group to hang out with.

I love the beach! Thanks for sharing with us.

No problem! More coming up - not much more, but some.

Time to take a break for lunch - a late lunch - it was probably 1:00. We walked back up to the hotel and ate at the hotel restaurant again. They had inside and outside seating - we stayed outside.

Check out the size of these mac-n-cheese plates! And this was the kid's plate! We did think it was strange not to come with at least a fruit or something. They just got a big vat-o-goodness. :rofl2:

f20a33b7-1.jpg

DH and I got chicken wraps. They were fine. The sides were very small. He got fruit - which ended up being one small fruit kebob. I got the slaw - which was probably about 1/3 cup portion. Not terrible, but we traded fries for those sides... <_<

ca898e3e.jpg

Off to the right from our table...

0ffc1b4e.jpg

To the left...

28cff661.jpg

Straight out

61b028ad.jpg

Overall, it was fine and convenient to eat there. But, I might not do it again. Right across the street are several cool-looking places - I think I should have just send DH to bring something back. The service was really really slow and the food was just OK. Our bill for 2 kids meals (We had Jack with us) and 2 adult wraps was $40 (plus tip).

That is about the excitement of it. We went back to the room and put the little girls down for a nap. And DH had a nap too. :lol: Linda napped in the other room with the girls - she'd already had a couple of Mai Tai's so she was glad to be on "nap duty". :rofl2: Woke DD up around 4:30 to make sure she got back down to the beach - this was our only day for her to play so we wanted her to get as much in as possible.

The whole group of us had reservations for dinner at 7. I'll have a few more pics and an evening report later on.

Looks like you probably paid for that view. I can't remember where we ate when we were there. It was just a shack but it had the best seafood :banana:

I agree! And it was a nice view! Oh, don't the little shacks always have the BEST food?!

Great report!! I just love the pics and wish I had some of the mac & cheese right about now!! :dance:

Thanks! I'm a sucker for mac & cheese as well. Yummy!

It may have been a little pricey... but that dining view is fabulous. ;) Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Yes, fabulous view! Hey, I took some pics of the Carowinds campgrounds for you - I'll get them posted the next day or two.

This report is great!

And I have to agree with S70 about the sand, at least the sand on the east coast. That stuff does not like to wash off.

Great pictures!

Thanks! I tried the method of "take a whole bunch of pictures and few will come out okay". That's pretty much my strategy - I am a terrible picture-taker.

Okay guys, we are winding down this report. I can really streeeeetttccchhh out a weekend! :dance:

DD did NOT want to get up from her nap - she was hilarious. When I first went to wake her up, she turned over and said "I want to dig, Mommy." and immediately went back to sleep. :rofl2: Then, we manage to get her swimsuit on her and when I went into the bathroom to get sunscreen and came back out, she was curled up on the bed. Sorry, kiddo, it's your only day so we gotta wear you out...

After more playtime on the beach it was time to head in and get ready for dinner.

We have reservations for dinner at 7:00 at "The Grill". It was a few blocks down from the hotel. I forgot my camera, so most of these coming up are from my phone.

I thought this was cute. And I do love sammiches...

0ed86ff2.jpg

Looking out onto the street from the patio of The Grill - that red pizza place is where we had ordered pizza from the night before.

2a98469a.jpg

I didn't get a picture of the outside of The Grill. As you can imagine, getting 12 people dressed and hustled down the street ontime to dinner was no easy feat! LOL

If you look at this picture, well you can't see it here either. It is that last short building on the left down this street. Probably, what, 3 blocks?

68b09b2a.jpg

Dinner was good. I didn't get any pictures of it. The food was good. I had shrimp and steak skewers with smashed sweet potatoes and green beans. DH had a grilled chicken salad. DD had a cheeseburger and smashed sweet potatoes. I was very happy with the way all the meat was cooked - not overdone like so many places do! You probably can see why DH and I aren't big restaurant eaters - we usually walk out saying "It was okay" or "It was fine". And that was the case here as well. Our bill here was like $100 I believe - but we also picked up Bill and Brenda's dinner as a "thank you" for having us down. So that bill was for 4 adults and one child. And we all had a couple of drinks, so pretty good I think.

I swear I took some pictures after we left, but can't find them. We got ice cream on the way back to the hotel for the kids and did a little shopping. We always buy a magnet everywhere we go, so I got a magnet and got DD a t-shirt. It's tie-dyed and really cute. She wore it to "school" today.

So, we walked back to the hotel and sat outside at the beach bar for a while talking and having drinks. The 3 "big" kids went down to hang out on the beach and the 2 "little" kids played in the sand at our feet. What a nice evening!!

Got up early the next morning to come home. Stopped at the gas station to grab some granola bars and fruit for breakfast (and milk for DD) and saw this happening.

6d5d9b64.jpg

be592441.jpg

The guys were alternately filling up the gas cans on either side of the pump, then pouring into that big gas can on wheels. Have any of you ever seen that? I had not and was very curious about it. DH had not, and he didn't really care, but he asked them for me anyway because he's a good sport about that kind of thing.

Does anyone know what they were doing? Whoever gets it right gets a prize. Or something. :unsure:

Looks like you probably paid for that view. I can't remember where we ate when we were there. It was just a shack but it had the best seafood :banana:

Was it AncorLine on the right hand side heading onto Folly Beach, past Bowen's?

Last I heard, AncorLine was closed but it was GREAT for fried seafood. Cash only joint that looked like it was a dive/ When I worked downtown we use to shoot out there for a lunch at least once a month. Yum fried seafood. :popcorn:

Another place is Bowen's that serves some GREAT oysters. The placed caught fire a couple of years ago, but has been rebuilt. Haven't made it out there since the fire, but understand it is just as good as before. :rolleyes:

Was it AncorLine on the right hand side heading onto Folly Beach, past Bowen's?

Last I heard, AncorLine was closed but it was GREAT for fried seafood. Cash only joint that looked like it was a dive/ When I worked downtown we use to shoot out there for a lunch at least once a month. Yum fried seafood. :popcorn:

Another place is Bowen's that serves some GREAT oysters. The placed caught fire a couple of years ago, but has been rebuilt. Haven't made it out there since the fire, but understand it is just as good as before. :rolleyes:

For the life3 of me I can't remember Genia. I'd know it if saw it again though. The seafood was yummy. :banana:

Got up early the next morning to come home. Stopped at the gas station to grab some granola bars and fruit for breakfast (and milk for DD) and saw this happening.

6d5d9b64.jpg

be592441.jpg

The guys were alternately filling up the gas cans on either side of the pump, then pouring into that big gas can on wheels. Have any of you ever seen that? I had not and was very curious about it. DH had not, and he didn't really care, but he asked them for me anyway because he's a good sport about that kind of thing.

Does anyone know what they were doing? Whoever gets it right gets a prize. Or something. :unsure:

I think they are verifying the pump rate to determine if you are getting what you pay for. I.e. the pump display reads a gallon, did it actually dispense a gallon.

You win the prize, Genia! The prize is... um... a big round of applause! :bravo:

Sorry, its a low budget TR. :huh:

I have never seen them doing that before - which is so funny - I mean, I've been getting gas for *** years. What are the odds that this is my first time to witness the calibration.

Oh well, that's all for my TR. Thanks you guys for following along!