Oh by golly, we went to Folly!

Hi everyone!

I've been enjoying reading everyone's TRs so much, I just couldn't wait until our Disney trip next month to get "get in the game"! So, here is a non-camping, non-Disney TR for ya - I hope some of you will read along.

DH's sister and her in-law fam were all coming down to Folly Beach, SC, in June. In short, we got the dates wrong and she called Sunday saying "Hey guys - where are you?" :blink: One hour later, we were packed up and on our way. More on that to come....

We stayed 2 nights and had a wonderful time. I'm currently getting all my pics loaded so I can get some photos to you - this will be the first time I've done photos on this website. I'm not terribly technologically savvy (did I get that right?), so bear with me.

Stay tuned, and I will get you some pics and stories real soon!

I love Folly Beach :banana: Can't wait for pictures and stories :popcorn:

Comin' right up!

At first I read it as DH's sister's law firm.

:rofl2: Sorry - texting has completely ruined me from using complete words sometimes.

:popcorn:

digital-camera-animation-animated-camera-smiley-emoticon-000420-large.gif

Glad you are all ready to read along! I'll do my best not to bore you to death...

Are you kidding? We live for TR's, Disney or non Disney! :suspense:

OH, me too - that's why I couldn't resist.

Pull up a seat!

When we camp at James Island County Park we always go to Folly, nice beach. Any pics? emot-munch.gif

Why yes, yes I do! Comin right up... now let me figure this out... :blink:

42e8137e.jpg

Okay, got it!

I'll start off with the cast and crew. First is me, DH, and DD3. DH's sister's in-law family always go on a summer trip together. Often, they end up on the Carolina coast and we get to join in for a few days. They are a fun fun bunch! So, group number two is... you know what, I better name them or you'll get all confused.

SiL's group: Linda (SiL), Bill (her hubby), Kailee(15), Jack( 8 ), and Emma(2) the kids.

SiL's BiL's group: Tom (Bill's bro), Linda (I know, there are two), and Adam(15)

SiL's parents in-law: Bill (yes another double name) and Brenda

Whew!!! Does that clear things up???

So, we left off where Linda had called and said "Where are you?" Ruh roh. Unfortunately, there were no hotels available within 10 miles of the beach hotel where they were staying. Fortunately, they had booked 4 rooms and had a bed to spare for us! :dance:

One hour after our phone call, we were in the car and on our way! It was so exciting to wake DD up from her nap and say "We have to hurry up and pack to go to the beach!!!"

ef3d2059.jpg

The second part of the "excitement" was that my car is currently in the shop for hail damage repair. This means we are taking DH's car. A 2-door Jeep Wrangler. Fun for around town, but... will it be okay for a road trip? Will we be able to fit all of our gear inside??? I did manage to get everything in. All the clothes, toiletries, beach gear fit in the back. DDs car seat is in the middle, so she had a cooler on one side and the DVD bag and my purse on the other side. Laptops were stowed on the floor behind the front seats. And awaaaaayyyy we went!!!

It did help to know that Linda always overpacks and probably had bought TONS of beach stuff, so a couple of towels and DDs life jacket was all we really took. Should've taken one more thing... more on that later.

3 hours later, here we are!

bc162857.jpg

aa9ec485.jpg

It did help to know that Linda always overpacks and probably had bought TONS of beach stuff, so a couple of towels and DDs life jacket was all we really took. Should've taken one more thing... more on that later.

This isn't the real life version of "Home Alone", is it? You did remembr DD, didn't ya? :rofl2:

Just a side note while I'm waiting on DH to email me a couple of pics that go with the next update...

Folly Beach is only about 10 miles from historic Charleston, SC. If you search for a hotel in Folly Beach, you will come up with only results in Charleston except for one. The Tides Folly Beach is THE only hotel in Folly Beach. Other than that, you will be about 10 miles away and right across the bridge for Charleston. Here is a photo of two of these hotels:

41e67e12.jpg

I believe that is a Holiday Inn, a La Quinta, and something else there. These hotels are strangely situated right on top of the highway, it seems, but are relatively close to both areas. That is where we were going to try and stay until Linda said they had room for us at the Tides. :banana: They are about 10-15 min drive from the beach and about a 10 min drive from downtown. We were not looking forward to having to drive back and forth, so we were so glad about the change of plans!

The Tides was formerly a Holiday Inn, and recently-ish was bought out by some Folly folks. Apparently, they like all the business down there to be owned by "Folly people". Pretty cool, I think. B)

The Tides is fine. It's a regular hotel on the beach - clean and convenient! There is an ice cream shop, a restaurant, a workout room, a pool, and a beach bar on the premises. Looking back toward "town", you will see all these cool beachy shops and eateries:

68b09b2a.jpg

5ca3fdc0.jpg

More updates to come on our evening beach activities!

This isn't the real life version of "Home Alone", is it? You did remembr DD, didn't ya? :rofl2:

:rofl2: Ha ha ha! No Home Alone! With only one I think it would be hard to forget her. Plus that big ol' empty carseat would be a dead giveaway. Of course, given our packing frenzy...

Wonderful TR Carolina Girl! BTW They are the best in the world.

Did I ever mention that, I Love South Carolina! emot-love.gif

Wonderful TR Carolina Girl! BTW They are the best in the world.

Did I ever mention that, I Love South Carolina! emot-love.gif

Thanks, H! I am proud to be a Carolina girl! ;D not native, but I figure after 15 years maybe I can be grandfathered in...

Okay, got my pics... on with the show...

Okay, so we left off with our arrival at the Tides Folly Beach. Sorry, I didn't get a photo of the hotel. Strange, but oh well. It was very windy when we showed up - even more windy than usual "beach windy". DH picked up the parking pass and room key that Linda left for us and we went upstairs to drop off our stuff and get down to the beach. Linda and the rest of the crew were in Charleston having dinner, so we were on our own for a while. They are usually late and not good at figuring time, so we knew even though they said "We'll be back at 9" that probably meant about 10:30. We were happy to have some time together anyway.

DD could not WAIT to get down to the beach. "Can we go down now???" And this was before we even set our bags down. Went to get a few beers and Capri-Sun out of the cooler to take down and realized we had not brought a beach cooler. The cooler in the car was way too big to lug a few drinks around in. Hmmmm.... what to do.

Well, I have a purse that I made (I love to sew) that has become our DVD player/DVD bag on trips. So, I quickly emptied it out and put the drinks inside. Then, I got a trash bag out of the bottom of the bathroom trash can (you know, the extras they leave in the bottom) and put in some ice from the "big" cooler. Ta da!!! Purse cooler! DH was quite impressed. I told him, "What kind of redneck would I be if I couldn't turn a purse into a cooler?" That was the main item I wished we had taken - my small shoulder strap cooler to use on the beach. Oh well. We ended up using that bag both days for drinks and such. Between the sand and drink-sweat, I think I need a new DVD bag. :rofl2:

Off we went down to the beach. At this point, it was dark. DD is rarely up after dark - so this was a thrill for her. The beach, AND up past her bedtime! Woo hoo! :dance:

Here she is enjoying the sand:

ecad2093.jpg

And making sand angels:

ac9fca37.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality - all I had was my phone to take pics with at the time.

The rest of the crew made it back from dinner around 10. The kids all stayed up watching "A Bug's Life" while the grown-ups got to sit around and chat. We all sacked out around 12 or so. It was really great to catch up with some of our favorite family! :heart:

Oh, DH and I ordered a pizza from a place called "Woody's" right there at Folly. It was a HUGE cheese NY style pizza and really delicious! Sorry, no food pictures of kitties. We totally pounded. Then the kids ate what we had left - even though they had just come from dinner. :rofl2:

You're off to a great start! I love the beach (though I HATE sand :rolleyes: ) But the views, the winds, and the beach smell is wonderful!

My skin did crawl a bit when I saw your DD making sand angels! :panic:

OMG me too. All I could think of was sand fleas and other junk buried in the sand :o

Oh I don't worry about the sand fleas, I worry about the sand being buried in my "junk" :rant: