Pookie's Roadtrip - My DD10's non-wdw Trip Report

And now back to your regularly scheduled Kaola/Child trip report...

wait a sec... I heard that... who said "finally"??

hmmmm... we'll blame it on that sneaky BF and give Dave a break just this once...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P1011531.jpg

It's one thing to go over and around but this tunnel took Pookie UNDER the Allegheny Mountain. Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel - you just can't see it from the beginning when the cell phone & satellite reception go out...

P1011397.jpg

Garmin says TURN WHERE???

P1011538.jpg

Mothers with a fear oif heights should never listen to Garmins programmed by college kids to avoid major highways just because they're finally within two hours of home.

P1011539.jpg

Pookie saw roads that went straight up - and unfortunately came straight down too.! Ewwwwww, we may have known where we were but we had serious doubts we'd make it home safely a few times there.

P1011535.jpg

Even with twenty mile an hour speed limits, there were lots of runaway truck ramps on the side of those narrow mountain roads. We were sure glad there wasn't a big rig behind us on the way down...

P1011533.jpg

Gotta love how the rain and fog start only after you've gone too far up so there's no safe place to turn around and go back...

P1011541.jpg

Entering the traffic circle in front of the old Gettysburg Hotel is confirmation that, not only did we outwit Garmin's insane computer-driven plan to run us off a mountainside but WE'RE ALMOST THERE!!

Pookie suggests we stop and kiss the ground. I'm not 100% sure he's kidding...

P1011542.jpg

"Hey, I recognize those civil war monuments and buildings" Pookie exclaims! He's always loved the costumes seen on the streets of Gettysburg.

DSC04328.jpg

After a bit more driving and crossing back into Maryland, we're finally home! Hey, where'd everybody go? Come back here and help me unload... Where in the world am I gonna hide all this AG stuff??

How'd we get it all in here anyway??

DSC04329.jpg

Do you know they don't offer the Felicity experience anymore? While you can now rent a dress, and tour buildings like the ones in Felicity's time, even Felicity's bedroom and grandfather's plantation, there's no longer any official mention of the little red headed patriot child and her attractive, uppity blond friend that helped her bring history to life for a generation of young ladies. Miss Manderly no longer offers tea lessons, or instructs in proper sewing and dance techniques either...

We took DD21 on the tour when she was young. Starla even had Felcity's pink birthday dress to wear for the weekend so she matched her doll. Oh, she thought she'd conquered the world that weekend, as people turned and complimented her and her doll on their ensemble.

My mom insisted that we do it as a family and I am so glad we did now, though to be honest, at the time I'm much rather have been in disney - and could have for what mom paid for that few days on colonial property too. Why is it that, so often, we only fully appreciate the really memorable times in hindsight?

Where does the time go?

My oldest DD just turned 20, so she and your DD are about the same age. She really enjoyed the experience in Williamsburg. It's too bad that has been discontinued.

I forgot all about good old Miss Manderley. That reminds me that we had an American Girl Tea Party at our house once. Good times.

it's good to hear the AG franchise is still going strong. When my girls were younger, I used to read to them at bed time. I think I got to read all of the American Girl books that way. I think Kit was the last one that came along before the bedtime stories ended. I'm sure there are more AG's now.

I never heard of the Benefit Sale. As I think about it, that is a good thing. If we had ever heard of it, I imagine it would have cost me a lot of money.

Thanks again for a great trip report!

TCD