At the risk of a major Hijack - Cloth diapers

Always looking for ways to save money and I have heard cloth diapers can add up to a significant savings and I also like the idea of being more responsible reguarding the environment. The options are endless, the reviews are inconsistent and I find how they work is confusing. The hybrid diapers appeal to me because you can use them as straight cloth when at home and use the disposable inserts when you are traveling out and about / camping. But it looks like the savings for those isn't that great. Anyone know of a website where I can get more consistent information? ANyone have experience with hybrid diapers? Thanks!

Always looking for ways to save money and I have heard cloth diapers can add up to a significant savings and I also like the idea of being more responsible reguarding the environment. The options are endless, the reviews are inconsistent and I find how they work is confusing. The hybrid diapers appeal to me because you can use them as straight cloth when at home and use the disposable inserts when you are traveling out and about / camping. But it looks like the savings for those isn't that great. Anyone know of a website where I can get more consistent information? ANyone have experience with hybrid diapers? Thanks!

mccain-in-depends-adult-diapers.jpg

They make hybrid cloth diapers? Wow it's been a long time since I have played the diaper game. With that said I had 2 babies in diapers at the same time. One couldn't wear paper and one couldn't wear cloth. Paper is easier but the cloth weren't bad to deal with either. And they make great cleaning rags when the baby is out of diapers. :banana:

Oh lord, you KNOW this is going to be a sh*tty subject! :rofl2:

Like doodle, I haven't messed with diapers in a very long time! I always used disposables, the thought of washing the "really bad ones" (all moms know what I mean, down the leg, up the back, seeping out the sides) really grossed me out. I do know people who swear by them though, for cost, the environment, and allergies.

I know nothing about hybrid diapers.....but I have a hybrid camper! Does that help? :lol:

My wife insisted on trying cloth diapers & I believe the hybrid ones too. She didn't seem to mind them to much. I however thought they were horrible. Personnally I don't like having to get a brick of poop out. Folding up a dispsable diaper is much better to me. Oh & I found they started to smell after a while which in & of itself sucked. I'll see if I can get her to post her opinion which I'm sure will be exactly opposite.

If they are hybred does that mean they only need gas part of the time?

The baby is gas-powered only while moving. When you stop and stand still they run on batteries. That way the gas doesn't cloud around you when you are standing still. I hear they go further on a feeding, too. Unless you are in the air conditioning, then they stay on gas. Oh well, you can't have it all.

LOL Steve - I had heard about the smell problem - I also heard there is a method for handling that. Like I said - there is a ton of info out there - just alot of it is conflicting or expensive to obtain. There is a lady online who offers a guidebook - 80 pages - but she wants almost $40.00 to access it - that sort of defeats the purpose of trying to save money here.

I wish the hybrid diapers only meant gas part of the time! Actually you put an insert into the diaper that is flushable - so its kind of the same as huggies or some other disposable diaper only they wont take 500 years to decompose.

When my fist was born I did the cloth thing for a while. I probably could have continued if there was a diaper service around. Then with 5 in diapers we never did the cloth thing. Changing time was hard enough without adding cleaning diapers out first. I know you are looking to save money, but a diaper service may be an option. You only have to flush the solids and that's it. The bags and pails they provide do a pretty good job of keeping odor down and you are saving the Earth too. I believe the cost is a wash when you compare it to the landfill fillers. And yes the cloth make great cleaning cloths for years to come.