Do any of you drive from Michigan or up here anywhere to The Fort? We always go down on I 75. It usually takes us 19 hours of driving time.

My questions are:

#1 How much longer will it take to get there towing a 35ft TT? Maybe 4 hours longer?

#2 Where would a good first day stopping place be if we left here at 5-6am? I was thinking between Nashville and Chatanooga? Without a TT we usually stop for the night just north of Atlanta.

#3 How do you go about Atlanta? It is always stressful even without a TT. Do you usually go straight through, take the bypass, go waaay around? If you go straight through, how do you manuever the lane changes? We are thinking it is probably best to go through on the weekends our first few trips, but I want to be prepared.

#4 The mountains in Tennessee are making my husband a little nervous. Any tips?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#3 How do you go about Atlanta? It is always stressful even without a TT. Do you usually go straight through, take the bypass, go waaay around? If you go straight through, how do you manuever the lane changes? We are thinking it is probably best to go through on the weekends our first few trips, but I want to be prepared.

I typically drive through ATL and I have the same length rig. Our rush hour is 6:30am to 9:30am and 3:30pm to 7pm. I would avoid going through ATL at those times either 75 or 285. 285 may be a bit better but around here you never know. Also, we have been having a lot of roadwork on weekends and late night so check this site out before you go.

http://www.georgia-navigator.com/

I will say for the first time, it may be best to go I-285 as there are several lane changes and the lanes seem much narrower on I-75. I am used to it but it was white knuckles the first few times. There are still imprints in the passenger side dashboard. :unsure: There curves seem a bit tighter as well. You really have to stay on your toes. If you travel during non-peak, all of these issues are minimized as you have more time to see what's ahead and react.

Congrats on the new trailer. Happy Camping!

In the past we always went down 75, but the last couple of times we have taken 75 to 40 and then 77 to 95. We hate going through Atlanta and the extra time it takes seems worth it. I may try the route tnbob has suggested to on our next trip and get a chance to see some new scenery :banana:

By the way if I did go 75 I avoid the bypass, and try to time Atlanta for a non-rush hour time. The semis scare me to death on 285 :blink:

I typically drive through ATL and I have the same length rig. Our rush hour is 6:30am to 9:30am and 3:30pm to 7pm. I would avoid going through ATL at those times either 75 or 285. 285 may be a bit better but around here you never know. Also, we have been having a lot of roadwork on weekends and late night so check this site out before you go.

http://www.georgia-navigator.com/

I will say for the first time, it may be best to go I-285 as there are several lane changes and the lanes seem much narrower on I-75. I am used to it but it was white knuckles the first few times. There are still imprints in the passenger side dashboard. :unsure: There curves seem a bit tighter as well. You really have to stay on your toes. If you travel during non-peak, all of these issues are minimized as you have more time to see what's ahead and react.

Congrats on the new trailer. Happy Camping!

Thanks! Bookmarking that site now. :D

In the past we always went down 75, but the last couple of times we have taken 75 to 40 and then 77 to 95. We hate going through Atlanta and the extra time it takes seems worth it. I may try the route tnbob has suggested to on our next trip and get a chance to see some new scenery :banana:

By the way if I did go 75 I avoid the bypass, and try to time Atlanta for a non-rush hour time. The semis scare me to death on 285 :blink:

How much extra time do you think it adds going 75 to 40 then 77 to 95?

What route is it that tnbob suggests?

It only took us about an hour or so longer, but we don't have any kids so we didn't have to make any extra stops.

Thanks! That might be worth it avoiding Atlanta.

Oh, and we don't stop much, lol. The kids are used to traveling and I like to get where we are going ASAP. We stop for bathroom breaks every so often and then it's a 5 minute stop. I pack food and we eat in the van. I am not a patient person. :-[

Okay, I'm terrible with directions. I can't find the route you are talking about on google maps. Where do you pick up 40 and what cities/states does that have you going through? Thanks!

I think I found it. Going that way would probably add a few more hours for us because we actually start out on 69, then 65 to 24, and then pick up 75 in Chatnooga.

We take US23 south into Ohio until it connects with I75 near Maumee, then go 75 the rest of the way.

#1 towing will take you more than 4 hrs extra due to the slower speed required when towing, we are usually around 24 -25 hrs total depending on traffic and accidents.

#2 we leave around 6 and stop about 18-20 hrs later in Perry GA IIRC exit 135 at a place right on the West side of the road across form the AG center, I think its snug harbor RV. Usually you can pull in without ressies late but we almost always make ressies and prepay the $30

#3 I go straight though Atlanta, I stay towards the middle lanes and just drive with the flow. watch the signs carefully and signal any lane chages WAAAAAY before I need to make them.

#4 Mountains ? them aint mountains, they got some really big ones out west. Seriously, I walk right by the big trucks going up the hills, just watch your speed coming down and if you need to brake do it slowly and smoothly and you wont have any issues.

Just remember to take your time and be safe and you will be fine.

That's our normal route too, but lately going through Atlanta holds less and less appeal. I must be getting old :blink: I agree the mountains through Tennessee are nothing, never had any problems even in the winter months. Our usual first night stop is the Fox Inn about 10 miles north of Knoxville. If we get an earlier start we stop at Harvest Moon in Adairsville GA.

And like BDD says take your time and stay safe it is vacation after all :heart:

We drive from Wisconsin and if stopping overnight, it is usually just north of Atlanta. When we get going the next morning we drive straight through Atlanta, all those lanes and nobody on them, but it is usually around 4 or 5 in the morning.

We drive from Wisconsin and if stopping overnight, it is usually just north of Atlanta. When we get going the next morning we drive straight through Atlanta, all those lanes and nobody on them, but it is usually around 4 or 5 in the morning.

What time do you leave Wisconson to get north of Atlanta on your first day? That is where we have usually stopped without a TT. We usually leave here at 6am and with very minimal stopping, end up just north of Atlanta by 7pm or so. It would be nice ot make it that far with the TT too.

We take US23 south into Ohio until it connects with I75 near Maumee, then go 75 the rest of the way.

#1 towing will take you more than 4 hrs extra due to the slower speed required when towing, we are usually around 24 -25 hrs total depending on traffic and accidents.

#2 we leave around 6 and stop about 18-20 hrs later in Perry GA IIRC exit 135 at a place right on the West side of the road across form the AG center, I think its snug harbor RV. Usually you can pull in without ressies late but we almost always make ressies and prepay the $30

#3 I go straight though Atlanta, I stay towards the middle lanes and just drive with the flow. watch the signs carefully and signal any lane chages WAAAAAY before I need to make them.

#4 Mountains ? them aint mountains, they got some really big ones out west. Seriously, I walk right by the big trucks going up the hills, just watch your speed coming down and if you need to brake do it slowly and smoothly and you wont have any issues.

Just remember to take your time and be safe and you will be fine.

Thanks for the estimate on the extra time, it is good to know so we can plan where to stop and if we will need to stop 2 nights on the way down or 1. We only drive about 12 hours before stopping for the night so i am still trying to estimate where that will put us. I am thinking mid-Tennessee with the route we take.

That's our normal route too, but lately going through Atlanta holds less and less appeal. I must be getting old :blink: I agree the mountains through Tennessee are nothing, never had any problems even in the winter months. Our usual first night stop is the Fox Inn about 10 miles north of Knoxville. If we get an earlier start we stop at Harvest Moon in Adairsville GA.

And like BDD says take your time and stay safe it is vacation after all :heart:

I would love to be able to make it to Adairsville. I guess we will see how early we can leave. What time do you think you get on teh road to be able to amke it to Adairsville, any idea?

We'll defintely be taking our time with the driving and being safe. I just feel like the vacation doesn't start until we hit WDW though. ;) It's not the most fun driving 12 hours with the littler ones. The big kids do great though.

You will also have to stop more often to fuel up.

Good thing to remember. I hadn't thought of that, thanks!

We usually get started around 6. With gas stops we usually hit Adairsville around 9 o'clock. Harvest Moon is a nice campground, quiet ,level paved pads. It can be a little hard to find in the dark (the sign on the road is small showing where the turn is) but well worth it.

I'm still waiting on Mike for the directions I want to send you. He has been to Indiana twice already this week and is there again today. As soon as I can talk to him I will get those directions to you. :banana:

We usually get started around 6. With gas stops we usually hit Adairsville around 9 o'clock. Harvest Moon is a nice campground, quiet ,level paved pads. It can be a little hard to find in the dark (the sign on the road is small showing where the turn is) but well worth it.

I'm still waiting on Mike for the directions I want to send you. He has been to Indiana twice already this week and is there again today. As soon as I can talk to him I will get those directions to you. :banana:

That's ok, I can wait. We probably won't take the TT down until next May, so as long as you can get it sometime before then. ;)

We have made the trip from Mitten to Magic many times with a TT and always make it a point to make the trip as stress-free as possible. This means allowing an extra day for travel, leaving o' dark early (4am) for a good first day of miles under our belt, and interesting stops that allow for family time along the way. One of our goofy faves is having KFC in Corbin, KY. (This is where you will find the first KFC and a mini-museum to look at after eating) There is ample parking for large TTs and easy on and off access to 75. Another stop we like to make is the KOA in RInggold, GA. The owners are SUPER nice and there is a winery just before the entrance for taste-testing for mom and dad before supper. :lol:

There are two books I am looking to get. I thumbed through them just before our Borders closed up shop. (Wished I would've purchased them then!) You may want to check them out...

Along Interstate I-75: Local Knowledge and Insider Information for Your Interstate Journey Between Detroit and the Florida Border

Kids Love I-75: A Family Travel Guide for Exploring the Best "Kid-Tested" Places Along I-75 - From Michigan to Florida

One of our goofy faves is having KFC in Corbin, KY. (This is where you will find the first KFC and a mini-museum to look at after eating) There is ample parking for large TTs and easy on and off access to 75.

The KFC in Corbin, KY IS FUN!!!!!

100_2479.jpg

100_2478.jpg

100_2477.jpg

100_2476.jpg

100_2475.jpg

100_2474.jpg

100_2473.jpg

100_2472.jpg

100_2471.jpg

100_2469.jpg

100_2467.jpg

We have made the trip from Mitten to Magic many times with a TT and always make it a point to make the trip as stress-free as possible. This means allowing an extra day for travel, leaving o' dark early (4am) for a good first day of miles under our belt, and interesting stops that allow for family time along the way. One of our goofy faves is having KFC in Corbin, KY. (This is where you will find the first KFC and a mini-museum to look at after eating) There is ample parking for large TTs and easy on and off access to 75. Another stop we like to make is the KOA in RInggold, GA. The owners are SUPER nice and there is a winery just before the entrance for taste-testing for mom and dad before supper. :lol:

There are two books I am looking to get. I thumbed through them just before our Borders closed up shop. (Wished I would've purchased them then!) You may want to check them out...

Along Interstate I-75: Local Knowledge and Insider Information for Your Interstate Journey Between Detroit and the Florida Border

Kids Love I-75: A Family Travel Guide for Exploring the Best "Kid-Tested" Places Along I-75 - From Michigan to Florida

Do you mind me asking what route you take from Michigan to FL? And where you stop for the night on your first day?

Do you mind me asking what route you take from Michigan to FL? And where you stop for the night on your first day?

We usually travel down I75.

Here is our travel plan from 2009. Keep in mind, we traveled with 10 people - 4 adults and 6 teens and preteens, so we chose to make more stops. (It's tough getting bladders to be in sync.!) We had two vehicles and a TT. We were also pretty tight on our budget that year, so we chose to boondock it night #1. (Lots of fun, if you're adventuresome!) One added note: We didn't really care for the Calhoun KOA. A bit unkempt and not the friendliest staff....but that may have changed since then.

2009 Christmas Travel Plan

December 18th: Our house - Walton, KY

Ø Flying J Travel Plaza

Ø 282 miles

Ø 4 hours 42 minutes

December 19th: Walton, KY – Calhoun, GA

Ø Calhoun KOA Kampground

Ø 373 Miles

Ø 5 hours 50 minutes

December 20th: Calhoun, GA – Lake Park, GA

Ø Lake Park KOA Kampground

Ø 307 Miles

Ø 4 hours 54 minutes

December 21st: Lake Park, GA – Lake Buena Vista, FL

Ø Disney’s Fort Wilderness Campground

Ø 206 Miles

Ø 3 hours 13 minutes

Total Travel Estimate: 18 hours 40 minutes / 1168 miles

Last year, we changed it up a bit and liked the new plan SO much, we're going for it again next year! Keep in mind, we only had one vehicle with a TT in tote and 5 total people. We also chose to start our trip o' dark early (4am). This gave us a GREAT head start the first leg of the trip...AND allowed us the chance to stop early for our first overnight, have a great meal, plenty of rest and really enjoy the camprground. (Which was clean and had very friendly staff! We LIKE the Ringgold KOA!) For the last leg, we knew we'd all be ready for Fort, so it's only 3 1/2 hours of travel. This got us to the Fort at a decent time, we were fresh and non-cranky, and ready to enjoy our stay! (Now, Valdosta KOA was JUST a place to sleep...not a total thumbs up in my book...but who cares...the Fort is practically around the corner! Actually, if you're brave and ready for a longer second leg, you could forego this stop and plow right through to WDW... ?)

Here's how this plan looks:

Christmas 2010 (and 2012)

Home to KOA in RInggold, GA

618 mi – about 10 hours 5 mins

Ringgold to Valdosta/Lake Park KOA

341 mi – about 5 hours 54 mins

Lake Park to Fort Wilderness

213 mi – about 3 hours 31 mins

Hope this helps your planning! :rolleyes:

(Where in MI are you traveling from?)