• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Also Old Stone Fort in Manchester TN is a great over night stop $20 it be half way between Nashville and Chattanooga TN.

I camped at Old Stone Fort once, at least the section we were in, the sites were weird. The power was on the wrong side (or the water was, I forget which)

This year, on our return trip, there was a major snarl in Atlanta -- accident on one of the other highways -- so we went into the HOV lane for most of the distance.

Our stops were Forsythe, GA and Corbin, KY. depending on weather we may stop at Monroe, MI. Last 2 times we drove straight through to Toronto because we had winterized in Corbin. (12 + hours) The 9 am start from Forsythe misses most of the Atlanta rush hour.

Along I75 (Dave Hunter's book) is the best of the guides. Better than his Florida's Expressways because he has separate maps for north and south. Worst problem with it? we gave a copy to some cousins and she started reading the extra material and missed some turns!

• 1 month later...

We'll be stopping between Atlanta and Macon - even towing the popup with a mini van we made it the in around 8:00pm. We'll be staying at the KOA in Forsyth, GA. Not sure about on the way back since it will have to be south of the cold/snow line, we may even stay at a hotel.

O I just realized ya'll are in a Popup!! I don't think I would go through the trouble of popin it up and down just for an overnighter. Ya'll are gung ho!!!

• 2 weeks later...

With only 341 days until we leave, it's time to start planning the route we'd like to take this year. :laugh:

So far, my dreamin' has lead me from home, MI.... (AFTER WORK-FRIDAY NIGHT)

to Walton, KY (5hr)... (NAPPING at FLYING J)

to Chattanooga South KOA (5 1/2 hrs)... (ARRIVE EARLY SATURDAY AFTERNOON FOR GOOD OVERNIGHT REST/CAMP)

to ????, FL (SUNDAY NIGHT CAMP)

We want to get close enough to be within 2-3ish hours of the fort. (CHECK IN ON MONDAY!!)

Any suggestions for places off of 75 in Florida?

:camp1:

We always stay at the Inn & Out in Lake City, Deb. It's nothing fancy but there is a Walmart down the road and several chain restaurants nearby. Tyhe price is right too. I think it was $26 last time we were there.

Thanks! How far away from the fort is it? I like the idea of doing some stocking of the fridge (and Christmas stockings) before we arrive. This may be the place! Do you have any pictures of the sites?

2 1/2 - 3 hours depending on traffic. Sorry no pictures, we usually get there late and leave early. Like I said it's nothing fancy dirt pads, but they are fairly level. The bathhouse has always been clean and you can fill up with fuel right there.

They do have sites in the back that are nicer than the front but these are not always open. Oh they have wi-fi and cable too.

• 4 weeks later...

Mtns along I-75 in Tennessee are a non issue. No real mtns at all. Only Mtns in TN worth a worry and then not bad are on I-40 and I-24. As far as Atlanta goes I go right downtown I ALWAYS use the HOV lane. No lane changes Sister In Law is a Po Po down there and said as long as I have more than 2 people in the truck and running the 55 MPH speed limit no problem. I have done this several times.

• 2 weeks later...

For another route, we always take I-65 thru Alabama to rt 231 to I-10 then I-75. It is a little longer but less traffic and NO Altanta. It may not work for you.

We have stayed at Ocala Rv Camp Resort like BR6013 has suggested. It is about 1 1/2 hrs to Disney. You can walk to Cracker Barrell. Also, there is a Sam's Club near by.

For another route, we always take I-65 thru Alabama to rt 231 to I-10 then I-75. It is a little longer but less traffic and NO Altanta. It may not work for you.

We have stayed at Ocala Rv Camp Resort like BR6013 has suggested. It is about 1 1/2 hrs to Disney. You can walk to Cracker Barrell. Also, there is a Sam's Club near by.

Look at what we have here. Thought you could sneak in under the radar, forget it, busted.

Ok Doodle, give them the glitter blast.

Look at what we have here. Thought you could sneak in under the radar, forget it, busted.

Ok Doodle, give them the glitter blast.

BUSTED!!!! You'll learn, nothing gets by the bus driver. By the way, Welcome. :welcome2: