From the Disney Food Blog...

Guest Review: Bratwurst at Epcot’s Sommerfest

Aug 10th, 2011

by AJ.

Thanks to our good friends at WDW for Grown-ups for this great review of the Bratwurst at Sommerfest, the counter-service location in Epcot’s Germany pavilion!

Apparently, many people don’t care for sauerkraut.

I get this impression because in the short time I was eating outside of Sommerfest, several families passed on eating there because the food came with kraut. This is a shame, because they missed out on a great meal for no reason.

Statements of fact: 1. Sommerfest has pretty good food, even if you don’t like sauerkraut; and 2. You can avoid the kraut. Let’s proceed…

DSCN1962.jpg

DSCN1957.jpg

Sommerfest Mural

Eats

Germany’s Sommerfest is located next to the entrance to the table-service location, Biergarten. According to their current menu, Sommerfest has two “entrees:” you can either get a bratwurst, or a frankfurter (both of which come with sauerkraut — FYI).

DSCN1963.jpg

Sommerfest Menu Whether you go with kraut or kraut-less, the brat is definitely worth trying. I’ve had a few strong-tasting brats that I didn’t much care for in the past, but Sommerfest has it right. If anything the taste may have been a bit too subtle, but I really enjoyed it. In fact, this may be one of my new favorite counter-service meals!

DSCN1945.jpg

Sommerfest Bratwurst with Sauerkraut The roll, interestingly, comes on the plate next to the sausage, but of course I ate it like a hot dog.

DSCN1950.jpg

...but this is how you'll eat it. The key to enjoying your bratwurst, however, is the condiments. I highly recommend you go with the brown, spicy mustard. I found that the mustard compliments the subtly rich taste of the sausage perfectly. Throw in a bite of sauerkraut on the side and you have a very nice combination of tastes.

DSCN1956.jpg

For dessert I chose the apple strudel. It comes with a vanilla sauce that is quite tasty, and the whole thing is covered in powdered sugar.

DSCN1948.jpg

Apple Strudel Given that it had apples, a crust, powdered sugar, and a vanilla sauce I figured it was a can’t-miss proposition. Unfortunately while I enjoyed all the tastes individually, the whole was less than the sum of its parts. The apples were quite tart and overpowered everything else; and I would say the powdered sugar and the vanilla sauce are an either-or proposition.

I would still say it was a good dessert, but it wasn’t the masterpiece I was expecting based on the ingredients.

DSCN1951.jpg

Sommerfest Apple Strudel Close-Up I wish I had gone with one of the soft pretzels. They were listed under “desserts,” which gave me pause, and I wanted to try the strudel, so I passed on the pretzel. By the time I decided I wanted to go back, a huge line had formed so I went without.

This brings up one of the downsides of Sommerfest. There is fairly limited seating, which can be a problem when the park is busy. While you can easily pull off eating your brat standing as long as you put it in the roll, the strudel would have been impossible without a table.

This meal would obviously be great with a beer (it was a little early for me to start drinking, or I would have had one for ya).

Overall

In the end, the need for a little extra seating doesn’t overcome all the other strong points. While sauerkraut may scare off some picky eaters, you can easily avoid it and the remaining dish should be acceptable to just about anyone unless you absolutely hate sausage. I can heartily recommend you give Sommerfest a try…even if you don’t care for sauerkraut.

You mean this???

You're in luck - it's on the menu for this year too!

http://www.disneyfoo...-wine-festival/

That's IT! And just a hint, you can go to the Sommerfest Stand and get some 'kraut to add to that, as well as the spicy mustard!

That's IT! And just a hint, you can go to the Sommerfest Stand and get some 'kraut to add to that, as well as the spicy mustard!

I have a dumb question. What is that made of? Is it pork, beef or (:gaah: variety parts) I would love to try it, but my 7th grade science teacher put the fear of God into me regarding foreign foods.

I have a dumb question. What is that made of? Is it pork, beef or (:gaah: variety parts) I would love to try it, but my 7th grade science teacher put the fear of God into me regarding foreign foods.

Soylent Green ... It's Germans! :rofl2:

Seriously, they are Pork Bratwurst with a delicious seasoning mix. :popcorn: