A Long Weekend In The Rocky Mountains - Part 2 April 2012

What a fantastic report! I just read the whole darn thing! Your pictures are spectacular! I remember when I was at Yellowstone a number of years ago on a snowmobile trip - we encountered a moose. I always figured they would be like a horse with antlers. No way! Those things are HUGE!!!

Yes, even Junior Moose was big! I wouldn't have wanted to come between Mamma and Junior.

I especially thought that the moose crossing was very cool. I wish I could think of a "Why did the moose cross the road" joke but I've got nothing.

Don't feel bad... I Googled "Why did the moose cross the road" jokes and nothing worthy came up.

129155533789547471.jpg

and yes it WAS a great TR!

Now, if I had seen that guy walking down the halls of The Stanley, I would have run the other way. Other than the Ghost Tours and an occasional Ghost Hunting night, the hotel plays it pretty straight.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a great idea that Joyce set up a recorder. Please keep me posted and let me know what else she hears throughout them.

We (mostly Joyce) reviewed all 10-plus hours of audio recording from room 217.

To set the stage, we know that we could not hear the people above us or in the rooms next door; although, we know the rooms were occupied.

This being the case, it was interesting to say the least, the number of times while listening to the recording that we heard doors/drawers open and close, tapping on the glass-topped desk next to the microphone, footsteps in the room when we were not there, sounds of children playing in the room, what sounded like a ruler smacking a table top and blinds rattling against the window frame when the windows didn't have blinds.

We did not hear any of this when we were in the room, although the recording proves that it was going on... (it also proves I snore :-X )

It was a very comfortable room and I wouldn't hesitate to stay at The Stanley again.

WOW!! I have to go there. Thanks for the update Judy.

Obviously (by the snoring ;D ) you weren't uncomfortable sleeping there. As much as this kind of stuff interests me, I would probably be awake all night!

I don't know how I missed this TR. I have read through the entire thing and your pictures are gorgeous! I now want to go to Colorado! Actually, when you were talking about long sleeves 49 degrees and all that, I thought about moving!

You are a great story teller, I can't wait for you to do more trip reporting!

I read page one and two but have to go out for a little while. I really want to keep reading this. Thought it was going to be some nice pics and now it's like a book you can't put down. Your trip reports kick a$$ lol. Your explanation of each photo is perfect. Not too short or long.

Dang, a short report with almost 800 views. You really know how to pull someone right in to the surroundings. Do they have lots of pics in the hotel where things were filmed? I flew into Bangor Maine a few times after the Stephen King movie "The Langoliers" was filmed. They had pics all over the airport where scenes were filmed. On the way from my hotel to the airport the hotel van driver took me by Kings house. Really cool place with spooks and gargoyles on the fence. I'm not a huge SK fan but one of my favorite movies is the Green Mile. The Shining was good but a little too much for me. One thing about King movies, and I'm not sure if it's who directs or what, but they're hard to stop watching.

I don't know how I missed this TR. I have read through the entire thing and your pictures are gorgeous! I now want to go to Colorado! Actually, when you were talking about long sleeves 49 degrees and all that, I thought about moving!

You are a great story teller, I can't wait for you to do more trip reporting!

Thanks, Rita. While 49 degrees sounds wonderful now, especially since it has been 107 in Fort Worth the last few days, I would find it difficult to live in the Colorado mountains year around. Trail Ridge Road between Winter Park and Estes Park is closed mid-October to late May depending on snowfall. I'm totally spoiled when it comes to wanting a loaf of bread and quart of milk within a 20-30 minute drive.

Do they have lots of pics in the hotel where things were filmed? I flew into Bangor Maine a few times after the Stephen King movie "The Langoliers" was filmed. They had pics all over the airport where scenes were filmed. On the way from my hotel to the airport the hotel van driver took me by Kings house. Really cool place with spooks and gargoyles on the fence. I'm not a huge SK fan but one of my favorite movies is the Green Mile. The Shining was good but a little too much for me. One thing about King movies, and I'm not sure if it's who directs or what, but they're hard to stop watching.

Thanks! The Stanley Hotel emphasizes the Stanley family history and really only mentions Stephen King and the Shining to help explain the changes to the interior decor and the addition of aspen trees near the front entrance. They are tastefully using the notoriety of The Shining and the Ghost Hunters TV show to their benefit - $$ raised through the Ghost and History & Concert Hall Tours plus the ghost hunting evenings have helped the current owner make a success of the hotel where numerous previous owners have failed (my personal opinion). The pictures displayed throughout the property at 99% related to the Stanley's and the Estes Park area of the early 1900's.

I've only read one of the Stephen King books, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. I loved it; but, I understand that the hardcore Stephen King fans do not... not enough of the scary bits.

One thing we learned on the Ghost and History Tour is that the original The Shining movie with Jack Nicholson was not filmed at The Stanley Hotel. It was deemed not remote enough and not snowy enough. Stephen King did not approve of the movie so he bought the rights back. He created The Shining mini-series which was filmed in and around The Stanley.

we stayed at Oak meadow, on the left just before you get to the visitors center entering RMNP.

Very nice people and a decent park. they had a show on the weekend with a guy name "cowboy Brad" great local entertainer and a must see dinner show for the price of $25 per person (food was from a BBQ place just down the street, IIRC named Daves)

Could it have been Elk Meadows Campground which is near the Beaver Meadows Visitors Center? Elk Meadow Campground It has TP's near the road.

DSCN1390.jpg

DSCN1391.jpg

The Shining was good but a little too much for me.

Judy I love this TR. I saw the Ghost Adventures where they went to the Stanley & wouldn't stay there if you paid me. Thanks for all the great pics.

Maybe we could plan a fiend trip out west. We can put the girly-men up in a Holiday Inn Express. :rolleyes:

I mistyped, it was Elk meadow, aptly named since we saw several wandering through the area while we were there. The first pic actually shows the spot we were in at that park. It was a nice place with great people running it, just a little more dusty than I would have liked but thats easily fixed. The office building was rumored to have been a brothel at one time before it was moved to the place it is now and there is a large covered grill that was built for Dan Blocker "Hoss" from Bonanza, supposedly there were plans for them to film some episodes in that area and he was planning on staying there, they wanted somewhere to have large meals for the crew so the grille was built, unfortunately the filming was cancelled and it was never used by them.

This was my first trip out west and I definitely have the desire to go back.

Maybe we could plan a fiend trip out west. We can put the girly-men up in a Holiday Inn Express. :rolleyes:

Most members of the Ghost Hunters group plus Chip Coffey from A&E's Psychic Kids will be at The Stanley for a seminar Friday April 13 thru Monday April 16, 2012. Information here.

Friday is a meet & greet and Monday is a travel day, so the meat of the weekend will be Saturday and Sunday.

Sounds fun. Might be enough time to start saving the pennies.

• 7 months later...

Part 2... Week end of April 13, 2012

Joyce and I took off again for The Stanley Hotel, Estes Park Colorado. If you aren't interested in ghost hunting, then you might want to bypass this thread.

The entire weekend was sponsored by T.A.P.S. of Ghost Hunters Syfy channel fame. It was much better than I expected. Joyce and I were surprised that the folks there, for the most part, were just like us. Not the scary blue/purple spike-haired people I thought might be there.

All afternoon Saturday and Sunday we attended seminars on a wide variety of subjects:

Ben Hansen of Fact or Faked. He's an ex-FBI agent who talked about his TV show and also gave tips on interviewing clients.

Britt Griffin of Ghost Hunters: Ghost hunting Tech Talk

Chip Coffey of Psychic Kids: General discussion about growing up psychic and then a gallery reading.

Rex Williams of Destination Truth: He started out as a paramedic in California picking up extra work as a medic on movie sets. He was then hired by Josh Gates to be the medic for Destination Truth.

Amy Bruni of Ghost Hunters: The History of Ghost Hunting

Adam Blai: "Demonology from a Roman Catholic Perspective". Adam is one of the few Lay Demonologists/exorcist for the Roman Catholic Church attached to the Vatican. He has a most interesting website that is mostly anti-ghost hunting when you are doing it for the fun of it. Google his name and you will find it.

There were about 250 people in attendance. We were each assigned to either the Saturday and Sunday 8:00 PM to 12:45 AM ghost hunt. We rotated between 6 different loacations: The Concert Hall, the tunnels, the administration building, the 4th floor (rooms 401 and 418), room 217 and room 1302 in the Manor House.

Here is The Stanley Hotel as we are arriving.

DSCN1987.jpg

DSCN1988.jpg

The side yard as we are going out for supper:

DSCN1995.jpg

From across the lake in Estes Park:

DSCN2064.jpg

It's such a lovely hotel:

DSCN2059.jpg

Look what we saw in the town parking lot!

DSCN1990-1.jpg

Judy!! I've been waiting for this!

I'm so bummed watching Grants final investigations. It really seems like the crew has learned a lot from him and are very sad to see him leave.

I was star struck just looking at that table!! Can't wait to hear about your experiences this time. Have I mentioned that I'm GREEN with envy?!?! :)

How is Joyce feeling?

Judy!! I've been waiting for this!

I'm so bummed watching Grants final investigations. It really seems like the crew has learned a lot from him and are very sad to see him leave.

I was star struck just looking at that table!! Can't wait to hear about your experiences this time. Have I mentioned that I'm GREEN with envy?!?! :)

How is Joyce feeling?

Take a look at the last picture with the Ghost Hunters folks sitting at the table. There is an empty chair on the far right for Grant.

Joyce is feeling OK. Thanks for asking. She received the official "C" diagnosis the day before we left for Colorado. Now she's waiting for the oncologist to put together the plan of attack. We carpool and it was interesting this morning when she mentioned that the pain in her back that the chiropractor has been trying to adjust is now gone. Sounds like it might not have been her spine out of place after all. Doctors do what they specialize in... surgeons cut, chiropractors manipulate, others will give you medicine.

I'm reading Jason and Grant's book Ghost Hunting, True Stories of the unexplained Phenomena from TAPS. I bought it at Half Price Books. It's more interesting than the TV show. You might enjoy it.

By the way... we used frequent flyer miles that have been piling up for years so the airfare was -0-. We figured we'd better use them before American Airlines decides to get rid of them as part of the backruptcy.

PS: Joyce has this posted in her office:

Keepcalmandthinkdisney-1.jpg

Saturday AM we had free time so we drove into the National Park. The road was only open to the Many Parks curve; however, it is due to open the beginning of May which is about a month earlier than normal.

DSCN2028.jpg

Here's Joyce:

DSCN2030.jpg

While here, we started hearing someone chanting. I walked up the road a bit till I found the man standing about 30-40 feet above me on a pile of rocks. It was definitely non-English. I made out the word Allah on a regular basis, and he was chanting with such passion, almost sobbing. It went on for as long as we were there taking pictures... at least 10 minutes. I hope he found peace up there.

A number of elk along the road here, too.

DSCN2000.jpg

DSCN1997.jpg

Judy, I'm so sorry to hear that about Joyce. Saying a special prayer for her. I have faith that she'll get through this, I'm sure she has more ghosts to hunt and more Disney vacations in her future. :)

I found that book on ebay, along with Ghost Files: The Collected Cases of Ghost Hunting and Seeking Spirits. Thanks.

Beautiful scenery shots!

Don’t you just hate it when you have this really great, really long post that is almost done and *POOF*, it goes away? GRRRRR!

Let’s try this again…

We were with the Saturday night ghost hunt group, +/- 120 people total with about 20 people is a group. They let us know that the groups were really too large for a legitimate ghost hunt; but, they would go over the proper process and equipment normally used.

We started in room 1302 of The Manor House with KJ McCormick of Ghost Hunters. For fans of the show, this is the room Grant was in when the table moved. KJ walked us through how he had explored the room on past hunts. It was quiet.

Next we went to The Tunnels under the main building with Rex Williams of Destination Truth. One man had a bit of luck asking questions and having his flashlight turn on and off in answer.

Next we went to the Administration building with Adam Blai, the Roman Catholic Demonologist/Exorcist. I spent my time there listening to him. Quite interesting. This building was quiet, also.

Next we went to the main building’s 4th floor – rooms 401 and 418. We were divided into two groups and I spent my time in room 418 with Adam Berry of Ghost Hunters. This is the room he stayed in for his 9 days in Ghost Hunters Academy. He said he was uncomfortable in the room the entire time but didn’t say anything until the end. It turns out a 30-something year old man had committed suicide in 2008 in the room next door because he wanted to be a Stanley Hotel ghost. Adam had quite a bit of luck communicating with him using two flashlights, one for yes and one for no. I was also poked twice in the ribs. After the first poke I looked at the man standing to that side of me and he had both hands on his camera. I moved to the left and was poked the second time. I should have said something but didn’t.

Next we went to room 217 (the Stephen King room) with Britt Griffith of Ghost Hunters. Several people had K2 meters that were really active and others had Ovilus apps on their cell phones (that are supposed to speak for the spirits) which were also active. When one cell phone said F*ck Adam, Britt texted Adam Blai to have him come and see what was going on. I assume he blessed the room after we left. It was really creepy.

The last stop was The Music Hall. It was after midnight by then and I was starting to droop. I didn’t experience anything out of the ordinary; however, a door swung closed twice in a room Joyce was in. The door was dragging on the carpet which made it not very likely that it was gravity making it move.

That’s all for our big night. It was fun!

Amazing Judy!! I would loved to have been there. The cell message would have creeped me out a little. I prefer nice ghosts, to mean ghosts. :mellow:

Even if you didn't experience much, just spending time with the team is a great opportunity!

On the TAPS website, it shows Britt at Give Kids The World Village from July 26th-29th. It doesn't say what's happening, maybe just an appearance? I may have to make my way over there.