Down by the Riverside (and Fort): A TCD End of Summer Trip Report

Alright- just so you all know, this is going to be a brief installment, and a longer one will follow right away. That's kind of how the photo count worked out.

We got back to POR from our visit to AK before noon.

I figured that mousekeeping would not have visited our room yet, and that we might not get service because we would be in the room when they showed up.

To my surprise, our room had been serviced and was ready to go when we arrived back.

Awesome!

It sure is nice arriving back to a clean room.

And, our AC worked great!

Here's one of the few shots I took of the room:

100_1900.jpg

If you look carefully under the bed, you will see that there is a small trundle bed under there. That is how they sleep five in these rooms. Those trundle beds are very small, and probably are only suitable for young children.

Our room was nice and clean, but it seemed odd to me that the wall behind the beds was so bare. There were curtain rods hanging over the head boards, and I wondered why. It turns out our room was supposed to look like this:

POR-Room.jpg

I don't know what happened to our curtains.

As I mentioned, we were staying in the Alligator Bayou part of the resort. The rooms in this section look like the photos I posted. The other part of the resort is called the mansions. Here is what their rooms look like:

POR-Roommansion.jpg

We will be going on a walking tour of the resort next, and we will take a look at what the outside of those mansion rooms looks like.

We have never stayed in the mansion section. Which is fine with me. I prefer Alligator Bayou.

Since we were already wet from our KRR rides, we decided to go for a swim before getting showers and changing.

We headed to our quiet pool first. There is supposed to be a big black snake in this photo. He was slithering across the sidewalk while I fumbled with the camera. He crawled in to the bushes next to the sidewalk by the time I snapped this photo:

DSCF0284.jpg

The quiet pool was too quiet, so we headed over to the main pool. It is a pleasant walk. We just had to go to the bridge you see in this photo:

DSCF0285.jpg

Here's a closer shot of the bridge:

DSCF0286.jpg

I have already mentioned it, and will be discussing it some more, but I love how there is so much natural landscaping around this resort:

DSCF0287.jpg

Just to document it, we went by the Fishing Hole on the way to the pool. A couple of folks were fishing. None of them were catching:

DSCF0288.jpg

DSCF0289.jpg

The pool was busy.

No big surprise there.

It was after noon now.

But we still were able to find a chair to put our stuff on.

We probably wouldn't have if we were at the Fort.

And I'll tell you something else that I really appreciated.

Towels.

Lots of clean towels.

As many as we wanted.

I know that it wouldn't work for them to provide towels at the Fort.

But, it sure is nice not to have to deal with our own wet towels.

We swam for a while, and then headed back to the room.

The girls wanted to chill for a bit and get showers before we headed out for the afternoon.

That was fine with me.

It gave me a chance to do some exploring.

Which I did.

And I'll tell you about it in the next post.

TCD

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing you are seeing the corn dogs end-on. From the side they probably look more like the average corn dog ...

:rofl2: Well that just shows you how my mind works! All I saw were breaded balls! :rofl2:

TCD,

I like your room much better than the mansions. Too stuffy and foo-fooey for my taste.

I really like the beds in your room. I looked into that type of "rough cut" furniture, and it isn't cheap!

When you said you went to the big pool, I honestly thought we were going to see a pic of you standing on the rocks "springing a leak" ;D How could you have resisted that?!

Once in a blue moon, the Corn Dog & Egg Roll Kiosk is supposed to be out and set up in Magic Kingdom’s Adventureland. I've never seen it, but others have ...

WDW-sign.jpg

Corn-Dogs-and-Egg-Rolls.jpg

Hmmm. I have never noticed this stand. But, based on the price of a bottle of water, it looks like this must be a recent photo.

$2.50 for an egg roll doesn't sound bad.

I guess the big balls are corn dogs? Not into corn dogs too much, but they look good. ;)

TCD, I wish you had a twin too! If one is good, two must be better.

I am an only child (Yes, spoiled) so sibling relationships are interesting to me, especially twins. Is it your side or Mrs TCD's side of the family that has the twin genes?

1. No comment on the big balls.

2. Both Mrs. TCD and I have first cousins who are twins. But ,as I understand it, the Dad has nothing to do with the twin thing.

probably a stupid question but are they identical or fraternal (they look enough alike to be identical). my mom is a fraternal twin and they really don't share much of a bond... unless you count jealousy of each other.

They're fraternal. They used to look almost identical, but now one is noticeably taller than the other. I also tell them that one of them is definitely smarter than the other, but the one who is allegedly smarter changes from time to time.

TCD

:rofl2: Well that just shows you how my mind works! All I saw were breaded balls! :rofl2:

TCD,

I like your room much better than the mansions. Too stuffy and foo-fooey for my taste.

I really like the beds in your room. I looked into that type of "rough cut" furniture, and it isn't cheap!

When you said you went to the big pool, I honestly thought we were going to see a pic of you standing on the rocks "springing a leak" ;D How could you have resisted that?!

I thought they were breaded balls too! Great minds...right?

very too foo-fooey

They're fraternal. They used to look almost identical, but now one is noticeably taller than the other. I also tell them that one of them is definitely smarter than the other, but the one who is allegedly smarter changes from time to time.

TCD

:rofl2:

If I had twins I would probably tell them the same thing. My kids already have a firm grasp on sarcasm....

I did want one of those photos. But somehow it didn't seem right asking my 16 year old daughter to take it. There were plenty of moms taking photos of their boys and husbands. It was comical how many people did it. You know how people are. One family would do it, and then another. Like I said before, I wish the imagineer who designed this pool could have been there to see what people were doing with his great design.

TCD

I did want one of those photos. But somehow it didn't seem right asking my 16 year old daughter to take it. There were plenty of moms taking photos of their boys and husbands. It was comical how many people did it. You know how people are. One family would do it, and then another. Like I said before, I wish the imagineer who designed this pool could have been there to see what people were doing with his great design.

TCD

i think you might be right...

Out of curiosity, why would the locals use the Fort pool if they have to park up front, when they could use this pool and park closer and not have to rely on a bus to get to/from the pool?

I.e. there "security" on site verifying you are a resort guest?

Maybe the Feinds should promote the POR pool to get the Fort's freed up?

2. Both Mrs. TCD and I have first cousins who are twins. But ,as I understand it, the Dad has nothing to do with the twin thing.

TCD

Looks like you're right!

Is There a "Twin Gene"?

Of the factors that influence multiple birth, there is only one that could be identified as genetic or explained by family history: hyper ovulation. Hyper ovulation is the tendency to release multiple eggs during ovulation, increasing the chances of conceiving dizygotic (or fraternal) twins. So, in families where the women have a gene for hyperovulation, genetics would sufficiently explain an increased presence of fraternal twins.

However, only women ovulate. So the connection is only valid on the mother's side of the family. While men can carry the gene and pass it on to their daughters, a family history of twins doesn't make them any more likely to have twins themselves.

I thought they were breaded balls too! Great minds...right?

Phew! I don't feel so bad now. ;D

Out of curiosity, why would the locals use the Fort pool if they have to park up front, when they could use this pool and park closer and not have to rely on a bus to get to/from the pool?

I.e. there "security" on site verifying you are a resort guest?

Maybe the Feinds should promote the POR pool to get the Fort's freed up?

That is a good point.

I guess locals who want to bring coolers and food blend in better at the Fort. Nobody had coolers or food at the pool at POR.

Also, the Fort has picnic tables and a shelter for the freeloaders. No such amenities at POR.

TCD

Please join me on a walking tour of the Port Orleans Riverside resort.

To help you follow along, here is a map of the resort:

Port-Orleans-Riv-Map-.jpg

We will be starting at building 16, heading toward the lobby area, over to the pool, then back past the Fishing Hole, and then taking a right and walking along the river in front of the mansions.

Despite having stayed here a few times, I really have never explored this resort.

In fact, when I finally got to the mansion section, I was kind of surprised by how big those buildings were. I definitely had never seen them before.

So, let's begin.

Here we are in the Alligator Bayou section. The palmettos grow high here. That is one of the "lodges" there in the background:

100_1904.jpg

Here is some typical scenery from this section of the resort. Note how natural and wooded the grounds look. You can barely see the building in the back of this photo:

100_1905.jpg

Here is another shot of the side of one of the lodge buildings:

100_1907.jpg

This is a photo taken from just outside the food court building. I took it to get a shot of the hippie you see walking away from us. We had seen him at the quiet pool earlier. Check out his luscious hair:

100_1908.jpg

Now we are up at the food court. It is styled after an old mill. This big wheel turns, and is attached to some impressive and authentic looking gears and machinery inside the building:

100_1911.jpg

The wheel is actually powered by running water:

100_1910.jpg

It's kind of hard to believe that the Disney company spent this kind of money on a building that just houses a food court. But they did. As I commented earlier, things sure used to be different.

The water wheel is huge. These photos don't do a great job on showing that:

100_1913.jpg

There is great detail on the wheel. It looks the the real thing to me:

100_1914.jpg

I recall this food court having a different name when this resort was called Dixie Landings. Something more exotic than this generic name:

100_1915.jpg

They call the waterway which travels through the resort a river. Here are some kayaks in the river:

100_1916.jpg

As with all the Disney resorts, the landscaping around this resort is superb. This butterfly garden was planted at the base of the bridge which leads to the mill:

100_1917.jpg

The marina is here in this area. That is the building that rents kayaks as well as pontoon boats and watermice. This is also where you catch the shuttle boat to Downtown Disney:

100_1918.jpg

There is a bridge here that takes you over to the main pool. This is a shot from the bridge, looking back at the building that houses the lobby as well as the lounge where we saw Yehaw Bob:

100_1919.jpg

Here we are at the pool:

100_1920.jpg

Heres another look back at the food court building. Look how tall they built it:

100_1921.jpg

Here's the part of the pool where the guys were doing the leak springing poses. The kid there in the back almost has it right:

100_1922.jpg

From here, I walked past the Fishing Hole.

I have some photos of that, but I think we have seen enough of those.

Here we are crossing back on to the mainland from the island. There is another kayak there in the river:

100_1927.jpg

Now we will walk along the river and check out the mansions.

There are nice benches and lots of wilderness before we arrive at the mansions:

100_1928.jpg

100_1929.jpg

The first mansion we come to is called Acadian. Here it is:

100_1930.jpg

I saw several groups enjoying the surreys:

100_1931.jpg

Here are some more shots of the Acadian building:

100_1932.jpg

100_1933.jpg

Continuing on, the next building we come to is the Magnolia building. But it appears to be closed. This sign tells us that it is being renovated. And note that there is a construction wall built in the back. As luck would have it, the gate was open. Maybe we should go in and see what is going on in the Magnolia building?:

100_1934.jpg

Sorry, but we are at our photo limit.

Next up, you will see what I saw at the Magnolia building.

And, I have some news for those of you who did not care for the room decor there.

TCD

That is exactly the feeling you get when you stay there :banana:

oh my... I do believe I'm gonna faint. Rhett, oh Rhett make sure you catch me before my swoon hit this gorgeous ballroom floor. - Snarklet O'Fort

although maybe that should say, "Andrew, oh Andrew, I do believe i'm going to faint. Oh please make sure to catch me before my swoon hits this gorgeous ballroom floor." - Snarklet O'Fort

oh my... I do believe I'm gonna faint. Rhett, oh Rhett make sure you catch me before my swoon hit this gorgeous ballroom floor. - Snarklet O'Fort

although maybe that should say, "Andrew, oh Andrew, I do believe i'm going to faint. Oh please make sure to catch me before my swoon hits this gorgeous ballroom floor." - Snarklet O'Fort

that would be a great tag, Nicki :banana:

It only took me about 45 minutes to take my little walking tour of the POR grounds, but it is sure taking me a lot longer to get through all of these photos.

We left off with the new construction sign outside of the Magnolia building.

I wondered what they were up to.

Was it a big deal?

Or just normal room refurbishment.

It looked like it was a big deal.

It looked like there were building permits in all of the windows:

100_1935.jpg

I could hear some workers working somewhere, but they left their gate open, and that was all the invitation I need to take a peek.

I looked in the first window I came to. This is what I saw:

100_1936.jpg

Look- new TV's!

And, new furniture there in the plastic bag.

The windows had these extensive checklists on things to be done. I should have stopped to read the check list, but I figured I would just snap a photo and read it later. The problem is, I didn't get good focus. Sorry:

100_1937.jpg

You can see here that this door has been prepped for new paint. Also note how there is rubber flooring and even a corridor of plywood built here:

100_1938.jpg

The next room was equally in the midst of a major overhaul. These photos came out weird because it was so bright out that the windows were reflecting what was outside, making it look like it was inside:

100_1939.jpg

100_1940.jpg

So what the Fort is going on here?

I didn't know at the time.

But I have checked on this since I got back.

I think I may have heard something about this in the past. But, I didn't know it was actually happening.

Do you know that they converted some of the rooms at the Caribbean Beach Resort into pirate-themed rooms?

Well, they are converting some of the rooms at POR into princess-themed rooms.

And, that is what I had stumbled upon.

These new rooms are supposed to be ready early in 2012.

If they had been further along, my photos may have created an internet sensation.

But, for now, things don't look too grand.

Here's what the finished product is going to look like:

POR-RoyalRoom.jpg

I think those headboards are going to have fiber optics in them, so it looks like fireworks are exploding right there in your room.

Cool.

But, I'm not sure princesses went to eat in old mills with water wheels.

Is this the right place for princess rooms.

Pirates at the Caribbean Beach Resort.

That works.

Princesses in southern mansions?

I'm not so sure.

But nobody asked me.

Here are some more views of the Magnolia building:

100_1941.jpg

There is a big gazebo out front:

100_1942.jpg

I love these light posts (note I did not say poles S70):

100_1943.jpg

Here is what the folks from the Magnolia building see as they look across the river to the lobby area. You can see the water wheel and mill there on the right:

100_1944.jpg

Here's another shot in front of the Magnolia building. The landscaping here is great. It's more manicured than in the Alligator Bayou part of the resort:

100_1945.jpg

Here we are looking across the river again:

100_1946.jpg

Here we are continuing on our walk. The buildings are on our left, and the river on the right:

100_1947.jpg

After we pass the Magnolia building, we come to the Oak building:

100_1948.jpg

Here's the view of the river from in front of the Oak building. That is one of the rental pontoon boats there:

100_1949.jpg

Here's a look at the grounds around the Oak building:

100_1951.jpg

Oddly enough, they use a lot of Oak trees in the landscaping here:

100_1952.jpg

Check out the elaborate stairs and entry area:

100_1954.jpg

As you can see on the map, the Oak building has a couple of smaller out buildings. Here is one of them:

100_1955.jpg

And here we are continuing down the path:

100_1956.jpg

They have a couple of quiet pools over in this section. Here is one of them:

100_1957.jpg

I like the Alligator Bayou quiet pools better.

This one looks like the pool at an apartment complex.

But with better landscaping:

100_1958.jpg

This bridge takes you across the river over to the main entrance for the resort:

100_1959.jpg

You can see the main entrance for the resort in this photo:

100_1960.jpg

Well, we sure have seen a lot of buildings.

But, we're not done!

Next up, the Paterre building.

And then we cross the river and start heading back.

TCD