Kate, I believe the generator they were using was an external type. I have a Yamaha 2400 I use when I dry camp and I can't tell you how important it is to keep them away from the camper. For some reason people think campers are sealed units and nothing can get in them, not even fumes. It looked from the pics on the story they had this unit under the camper and the fumes came right up in the camper. Prayers to these people and their families.

Something like this happened a few years back in Indiana at the race track. It was an onboard generator and the pipe had gotten mud in it and gases backed up into the camper and killed everyone. I feel sorry for the families and the whole project they were working on.

If you've gotta boondock in tight quarters like at racetracks, parking lots, outdoor concerts or rallies, using one of the "snorkle" kinda things is really necessary.

13831F-f.jpg

These things divert the exhaust up over the top of the motorhome, away from you and other campers. Last time we went to a music festival, there were *hundreds* of motorhomes, travel trailers and popups in a bunch of big huge farm fields. These things were REALLY needed, otherwise, in June temperatures, the generator exhaust could have killed someone easily.

We also use a small portable generator at times, especially if the weather's good.... and there's a long bigass chain that secures it away from the motorhome.

Be safe.... these things are so very very sad to hear of.

We saw this happen years ago at Atlanta Motor Speedway in the infield back in 1994. A family was in their motorhome and one of their sons pitched a tent behind it where the generator exhaust was. He was drinking and obviously wasn't thinking and the exhaust fumes got him sick and he asphyxiated on his own vomit lke Jimi Hendrix did. The weirdest and saddest part, was that the family couldn't leave the infield, because the motorhome was trapped by other campers, so they stayed and watched the race.

Best Regards,

Norm