Sugarloaf 1, White Mountain National Forest, Twin Mt., NH

It's been a while since I posted any photos, but here was the latest scouting adventure. Troop 27 went to the White Mountain National Forest, just 5 days after the remnants of Hurricane Irene trashed the northeast with flooding. We departed at noon on Friday of Labor Day weekend and arrived by mid afternoon.

We had two tent sites and were limited on the number of tents we could use on the sites. So we used two borrowed 8-man tents and then a few smaller hiking tents to squeeze in.

This is not the kind of campground that you can fit a large RV in, but could easily fit a popup or T@B style trailer in all the sites. The sites have a fire ring and crushed stone base and that is about it. The comfort station near us had two flush toilets, but no sink which seemed odd. In addition, there was no common dishwashing area, and this park has a bear problem. Felt a little uncomfortable dumping grey water near the sites, but the kids were good about dumping the grey water behind the scoutmaster's tent so that they would be safe :-)

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

On Saturday, we took a quick hike on the Trestle Trail that is around the campsite and crosses over the nearby river. It had rained overnight, and everything was still wet and humid, but only about 60 degrees.

IMG_1055.jpg

As we neared the river, the kids discovered that the crossing bridge had been taken out earlier in the week by the floods.

IMG_1056.jpg

So, they do what any red-blooded teen or near teen kid would do, cross the river on the rocks. Only one of them fell in, and none of the adults got pushed in either!

IMG_1058.jpg

Later that day we took the aerial tram to the top of Cannon Mountain and walked along the rim trail:

IMG_1065.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

After the hike, the kids went for a swim in a nearby river near Loon Mountain Ski Area in order to clean off. Did I mention that there were no showers at Sugarloaf? Believe me - a pack of kids this age can smell pretty ripe pretty quick in these conditions!

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

That night was a spaghetti dinner with meat sauce, with Matt responsible for frying the hamburger. We've discovered frying fatty foods like hamburger or bacon takes careful supervision. One of the kids got burned (not bad) on a prior trip when some bacon grease landed on his forearm. I guess that's how you learn.

IMG_1163.jpg

The next day was a hike to Zealand Falls and Zealand Falls Hut operated by the AMC. This hike was chosen because we have a bunch of younger scouts who are new to hiking. The trail is not very challenging, with the majority of it in the shade with only a gradual climb. When they get to the steep part at Zealand Falls, they only have 2 tenths of a mile to go to the hut and the spectacular view:

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

Beautiful pics. Looks like all had a good time too. Nothing like roughing it with bears around and having the protection of a tent.:rofl2:

IMG_1095.jpg

Is it the camera angle, or did this bridge get damaged in the floods also? Looks a bit cattywampus.

Most of the bridges in this area were taken out by the floods that week. This particular one, a private bridge connecting the ski area to the main road, was being repaired after the damage. Most of the Kancamangus Highway and Route 302 through the valleys were washed out. We had to choose alternate routes to get around that weekend. Fortunately, interstate I-93 was still open through Franconia Notch.

Several miles of I-91 in Massachusetts and Vermont were closed until they could inspect the footings for the bridge supports.

Check out the Youtube video of the covered bridge in Quechee, VT being hit by floodwaters. Then check the videos during non-flood times. Normally, the bidge is 35 to 40 feet above the river!

Beautiful views you had! Because I have a son, I know all about ripe boys. Why is it they all tend to smell like little wet dogs?

Good thing they were able to swim off the stench, but didn't you say it was 60 degrees?coldsmiley2.gif