We have just arrived at Pigeon Forge, specifically River Edge Campground site 40, and I hope to have a running trip report since I hate to sit down and try to write a big one at the end. I will say now that this place has the best bathrooms EVER!!! I will also try to post some pics, but I have had some wine tonight and it makes doing this very hard for some reason. I did cook some meat on the grill tonight and ate it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought the greatest campground bathroom deserved a post of it's own. The shower has a couple jets coming out by the faucet in addition to the overhead shower head which give an experience that is

Let me tell you about the campground on the way down until I do something interesting. We stayed at the KOA in Wytheville, VA. I will give them points for location. Nicely wooded, a lot of space between sites. That's where the good ends. The bathrooms were horrible. Considering it is off season and the place was practically empty, I would not expect the men's room to smell like urine at 3:30 in the afternoon. The sites were no where near level, so bring a lot of Lynx levels if you are gonna stay here. I got a pull thru and the site was labeled on the wrong side, so I had to get out of the truck and walk around to find the site. The hookups were at the front of the site and a mile away from my connections on the trailer, so I didn't have a long enough coax for the cable, and of course this trip I left the extra freshwater hose home since I never need it anyway. Fortunately I had some water in the freshwater tank, but not more than about 15 gallons since I wanted to keep the weight down. My electric cord barely made it to the power box. Cost me 41 and change but it was just an overnighter and won't make that mistake again.

Log Cabin Pancake House

Pigeon Forge

4235 Parkway

(865) 453-5748

Country Ham · Biscuits & Gravy

All You Can Eat

Buffet Lunch Open Year Round

Open 7:00am to 2:00pm

(Click on image for larger version)

Site Designed and Hosted by The Thomas Group

Today's breakfast location

* JT Hanna's Kitchen in Piegon Forge...Highly reccomended

* Old Mill Restaurant, piegon Forge... Highly recomended, long wait times though

* Wood Grill Buffet.. Lousy, Dirty, messy....I hate buffets :(

* Alamo Steak House. Gatlinburg location better than Piegon Forge IMHO

* Gatlinburg Brewery Resturant...Downtown gatlinburg... Highly recommended

1fe42840.jpg

dbf7c94b.jpg

c8961ae7.jpg

fb2811e8.jpg

I thought the greatest campground bathroom deserved a post of it's own. The shower has a couple jets coming out by the faucet in addition to the overhead shower head which give an experience that is hard to describe. That is real marble on the walls, too, folks. They pipe in classical music and the place smells like Polo.

I should have said the marble is behind the toilets and urinal. The rest is ceramic tile but nice too.

eb158303.jpg

So here is the Outback on site 40. As you can see, the spaces are tight. If you like a wooded campground with lots of room between you and the neighbors, this is not the place. However, each site has a concrete pad and the picnic tables are really nice. They are a rubber covered metal table. Sites are level, gravel covered. The utility boxes have a sweet night light on them. That's a nice feature Disney could use. I get about 29 channels on the cable.

fb1870b6.jpg

This is the greatest bathroom at a campground building. Upstairs is a pretty nice arcade. One of the tv channels cycles through closed circuit pictures of the arcade so you can keep an eye on your kids from your trailer.

f20023cf.jpg

Campstore and check in station.

Today started out with breakfast at the Log Cabin place. I had a western omelet with 3 buttermilk pancakes. It was delicious and as it turns out, the highlight of my day. Carol wanted to go outlet shopping today so we headed down to the Tanger outlets. We also hit the Incredible Christmas Place which I did not find incredible. In fact, I found it overstimulating and was about ready to blow my brains out. There is no way I could work in a place like that. There was a lounge for stressed out guys with a big screen tv and some sofas and stuff, but it was full of stressed out guys and they were watching golf which is about as exciting as watching paint dry so I passed. We went to Food City to replenish supplies which was an experience, too. I believe the citizens of Pigeon Forge subsist primarily on soda and junk food since the produce section was a couple of small coolers but there were 4 aisles of chips and soda was all over the store. I did buy 2 polo shirts and a pair of shorts for under 20 bucks at the outlet store that ironically was within walking distance of the campground. Found nothing at the Tanger outlets.

Tomorrow we will hit Gatlinburg and hopefully grab some lunch at the brew place Starbuc recommended after a visit from Liv in the morning. Wednesday is Dollywood day. Last time Dolly was over to the house she said she would meet us there. We'll see if she blows me off or not.

Today we went to Gatlinburg. I have to admit it wasn't what I expected. It was like somebody took Wildwood New Jersey and transplanted it in the Great Smokey Mountains. Now it wasn't all bad, just a lot of cheap souvenir shops, gimmicky attractions, that sort of thing. Very crowded, however, if you looked hard enough, there were some unique and interesting things going on.

We started out the day with a visit from livluvsdisney and her two kids. What a nice family. Glad to have finally met her after these several years we have known each other thru the Internet. By far, this was the highlight of the day.

We then went to Gatlinburg and started off with lunch at the Smokey Mountain Brewery. It was a place recommended by Starbuc on his trip report and it is worth hunting out. A microbrewery and restaurant, I had the three beer sampler for only 3.50. Tried three ales and they were all excellent. The beers accompanied the Brewmaster Club Salad - a large salad with ample portions of turkey, ham and bacon. Delicious. Here is some food pictures of kitties:

7be1d3ed.jpg

We wandered around town a bit and found a good candy place that sold a nice assortment of sugar free candy at Ober Gatlinburg and picked up some taffy and peanut brittle. Tasty. Then down the road to Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine. It's an interesting place with several little storefronts selling barbecue sauces and rubs. I picked up a jar of Memphis Rub which we tried on some boneless chicken breasts on the grill tonight and it was amazing. The highlight of this place was the moonshine tasting. I tried the original flavor and the cherries soaked in moonshine. Worth the stop, for sure. Carol had the cherries and some apple pie flavored moonshine which she thought was pretty good. You can also watch them cook up the mash and distill the moonshine on the premesis. Here is a pic of the decorations outside of the place:

7ff91cbb.jpg

As you can see, it is next to Dicks Last Resort.

We went back to the trailer after this. Tomorrow: Dollywood. Will Dolly stand me up? Time will tell.

It's not really food pictures of kitties, but I do like the substitution for the word I actually typed. It's pretty funny this way, so I'm leaving it.