Latest In Bus Transportation

Just some of the stuff going on in bus transportation.

Earlier this year 50 new buses were added to the fleet which brought the total number of buses to about 300. This made it possible to retire more of the older buses, the RTS. It's the model with the steps. As far as I know, there are only about 30 left. Another fifty buses have been ordered and will be added to the fleet soon and that should be the end of the RTS buses in regular service. Why the increase, Art of Animation opening in May and the GF DVC will require more buses.

BTW, the last two digits of the bus number, if it has a dash, is the year that it was put into service.

Four or five years ago, Disney implemented the first phase of an automated bus dispatch system. It's the little rectangular box next to the driver that you may have seen them interacting with. It was incorrectly assumed by the self proclaimed Disney experts that a new super duper, automated dispatch and bus tracking system had been put into place, wrong. It's been a long haul, but 5 years later, it's finally almost working as intended. Until about six months ago, buses could not be tracked by dispatchers, but now they are. They know where all buses are now as long as the unit on the bus is working properly. Drivers no longer have to call in for their next route.

What does it do you ask. The automated system is in effect during non-peak times. At peak times, buses are dispatched based on real time reports from CMs at the resorts or attractions. Once that's over, the computer decides where buses are sent to meet the 20 minute time interval.

Either way the next route is sent to the box on the bus which tells the driver where to go next. Drivers don't go back and forth to one location. It's always a different resort or park. And that's why new drivers have a hard time learning the system. There are hundreds of routes and bus stops and drivers need to know them all.

Back to the magic box. It automatically plays all the departure and arrival spiels as well as the resort or park traveling music.

A new scooter/wheelchair hold down system is being phased in. It's only on a hand full of buses now. It's supposed to be safer than the old system. Have I told you that I hate scooters?

Drivers now are able to request that non- essential bags be removed from the back of scooters for clear access during the strapping procedure.

With the monorails always breaking down, they've decided to reduce the operating hours which means that the buses have to bail them out, again, so new routes and bus stops have been added at MK & Epcot at closing time.

Pretty exciting stuff ehh? And as always, if you have a car, use it. It keeps you off my bus.

Just kidding. I actually like interacting with guests and enjoy driving a WDW bus.

Either way the next route is sent to the box on the bus which tells the driver where to go next. Drivers don't go back and forth to one location. It's always a different resort or park. And that's why new drivers have a hard time learning the system. There are hundreds of routes and bus stops and drivers need to know them all.

Lou-

Thanks for posting this.

I, for one, find it fascinating.

The part I quoted squares with my recent experience with bus drivers. You can tell at some of the parks that the drivers are very tentative about pulling up to the correct bus stop. I have also seen drivers looking at their "cheat sheets" at stop lights and other places en route.

In the big scheme of things, I think the new system works better than the old. The one thing I definitely don't like about it, though, is where guests get dropped off at the parks. I guess I'll get used to it, but I liked getting dropped off at my resort's bus stop- it made it easy to remember where to come for the return trip.

TCD

You can tell at some of the parks that the drivers are very tentative about pulling up to the correct bus stop. I have also seen drivers looking at their "cheat sheets" at stop lights and other places en route.

The fleet has grown quite a bit over the last year and along with that comes new drivers. With every additional bus, 4 or 5 drivers are required to support that bus. Seventy five new buses equals over 300 new drivers, that's a lot of inexperience. And because they're new, they'll work 2nd & 3rd shift, which is closing time, the busiest time.

In the big scheme of things, I think the new system works better than the old.

They could never go back to the old system. It would require a lot more buses.

The one thing I definitely don't like about it, though, is where guests get dropped off at the parks. I guess I'll get used to it, but I liked getting dropped off at my resort's bus stop- it made it easy to remember where to come for the return trip.

Buses would have to make two stops. Drop off guests on the bus at their resorts bus stop and then go to the one that they're going to, not too efficient.

then how in the world could I ask you the list of stupid questions I plan on compiling before our next trip?

It might require a private consultation.

More apple pie baby?

Buses would have to make two stops. Drop off guests on the bus at their resorts bus stop and then go to the one that they're going to, not too efficient.

I like the way they do it for the Studios, drop off at a central location, then circle around for their stop. Fairly short distance to the park entrance, and right next to the path for the Epcot resorts :-)

I like the way they do it for the Studios, drop off at a central location, then circle around for their stop.

That's actually changed since DHS became a mini bus Hub. Most, not all, buses now drop off at their next destination's bus stop. Just like at the other hubs

About six months ago, you're right, all buses dropped off at the charter lot, but no more. That only happens now when the next run doesn't make it to the magic box on the bus in time. If it doesn't appear on the screen in time, we have no choice but to drop off in the charter lot and go to the white van parked at the end of that lot to get the next run. It's becoming more rare, but still happens.

That's actually changed since DHS became a mini bus Hub. Most, not all, buses now drop off at their next destination's bus stop. Just like at the other hubs

About six months ago, you're right, all buses dropped off at the charter lot, but no more. That only happens now when the next run doesn't make it to the magic box on the bus in time. If it doesn't appear on the screen in time, we have no choice but to drop off in the charter lot and go to the white van parked at the end of that lot to get the next run. It's becoming more rare, but still happens.

Well it happened both times we took a bus to the Studios last week, so haven't seen the other new way.

Well it happened both times we took a bus to the Studios last week, so haven't seen the other new way.

What time of the day was it?

I stopped by DHS twice today and both times I got the next dispatch in time so I was able to drop off at the next destinations bus stop.

However last week it was 50/50.

Some of it depends on who's in the van dispatching

What time of the day was it?

I stopped by DHS twice today and both times I got the next dispatch in time so I was able to drop off at the next destinations bus stop.

However last week it was 50/50.

Some of it depends on who's in the van dispatching

One was about 6:30ish in the evening, on Wednesday, we were heading for Fantasmic

The second time was at 8:00 am on Sunday, I drove the truck and camper over, and Rick rode the bus on the scooter. We were heading for breakfast at H&V, then TSM rope drop stampede

It might require a private consultation.

More apple pie baby?

exactly how much pie can you eat? maybe I should rephrase that... how much pie can you eat and not have to crawl away?

did you know real butter makes a very flaky crust? the streusel topping includes more butter and sugar....

how do you feel about granny smith apples in your pie?

A few years ago, they moved all the bus routes at FW to the outpost -- I think the last one changed was the Studios. Anyway, we were coming back and after the stop at the Lodge, the driver drove us in to the Settlement loop, found he wasn't supposed to be there, drove back to the Lodge and back in to the Settlement!. I think we persuaded him to let us off there. He said that he hadn't driven that route for a while and the GPS still had out-of-date routings.

exactly how much pie can you eat?

how do you feel about granny smith apples in your pie?

I'll only have a piece or two.

I don't know the difference when it comes to the apples in pie.

A few years ago, they moved all the bus routes at FW to the outpost.

He said that he hadn't driven that route for a while and the GPS still had out-of-date routings.

You're going back a number of years. Drivers didn't have GPS then and we don't have it now. He was giving you a line.

There are printed directions for all the routes that drivers can look up, but no GPS.

ok....your not picky.

Nope, I'm not. There is no such thing as bad apple pie.

Thanks for sharing this info Lou. I want Disney to go back old school where as you are looking for your bus going was that a green flag with yellow strips or a yellow flag with green strips

They probably had 50 buses when that system was used.

Now they have about half that amount back stage just for CMs.

• 7 months later...

Buses can now, for the first time since it opened, exit out the main entrance at the Art of Animation resort.

They were exiting by way of the Pop Century main entrance.

Dozens of new buses were added to the fleet last month. The fleet has well over 300 buses.

Hiring and training of bus drivers continues. They now total almost 1500.

The new DHS exit on to BVD looks finished but it's still not open.

Additional left turn lane from BVD on to Victory Way is completed but is not being used.

DHS is now a full bus hub. It was a partial hub up until last month with the other hub's buses doing runs in and out of DHS.

After only 40 years, MK drivers will soon have a dedicated, enclosed, with restrooms, break room.

It's located on the far end on the right side of the MK turnstiles next to the restrooms.

The rumored additional bus loop at MK is just that, a rumor.

The cool looking Monorails continue to break down with the buses bailing them out on a regular basis.

My granddaughter's sweet boyfriend's mother has a good friend who works at WDW. She started out driving the folks from the parking lot to the parks. Then she moved to the AK and worked the Safari. Now she is in the transportation dept. I think she said she is a supervisor. Her name is Cat. I know you probably don't know her Lou but I thought I would ask.

Nope, that's not even a WDW bus. It's an Mears bus advertising the WDW water parks.

They've been around for a long time, it's just that you haven't seen them.

The new buses look exactly the same as the older buses.

You can tell if it's new if it has -12 after the four digit number.

Nope, that's not even a WDW bus. It's an Mears bus advertising the WDW water parks.

They've been around for a long time, it's just that you haven't seen them.

The new buses look exactly the same as the older buses.

You can tell if it's new if it has -12 after the four digit number.

Hmm interesting! I've seen a ton of Mears buses but not that one.

• 1 month later...

I guess it's it's finally official. The VP of WDW transportation announced in a recent interview that there will be a third bus loop at MK and that It will take about a year to complete.

Even more interesting is that he also said the new loop will better be able to handle the articulated buses, so maybe we'll see some of those after the loop is completed.

I doubt that you'll see more than handful as they're limited at which resorts they can be used. Not to mention that except for the values at opening and closing times, those types of buses, just like all of the regular buses, will be running around WDW nearly empty for most of the day.

I have to assume that the "park to park" buses will operate out of MK instead of TTC, that's a good thing.

That means that the non-Disney resort guests will be inconvenienced rather than MK guests.

Currently guests at MK that want to park hop over to AK or DHS have to take the ferry or monorail to TTC in order to catch those buses

I guess it's it's finally official. The VP of WDW transportation announced in a recent interview that there will be a third bus loop at MK and that It will take about a year to complete.

Even more interesting is that he also said the new loop will better be able to handle the articulated buses, so maybe we'll see some of those after the loop is completed.

I doubt that you'll see more than handful as they're limited at which resorts they can be used. Not to mention that except for the values at opening and closing times, those types of buses, just like all of the regular buses, will be running around WDW nearly empty for most of the day.

I have to assume that the "park to park" buses will operate out of MK instead of TTC, that's a good thing.

That means that the non-Disney resort guests will be inconvenienced rather than MK guests.

Currently guests at MK that want to park hop over to AK or DHS have to take the ferry or monorail to TTC in order to catch those buses

Or walk to the Contemporary :)