Disney Christmas Parade Taping 2011

From WDW Magic...

'Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade' taping dates and entertainment impact

Nov 23, 2011

The annual Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade will be taping on Friday December 2 and Saturday December 3 2011 at the Magic Kingdom. To accommodate the taping, the park makes some changes to the entertainment offerings. This is what we understand will be changed, but this is always subject to change, so check with a times guide on the day for official confirmed information.

- "Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade" will start in Frontierland both days at 5pm.

- "Main Street Trolley Show will not take place on either day.

- "Move it! Shake it! Celebrate it! Street Party" will not perform on either day.

- "Dream Along with Mickey" castle show will only be performed on Friday.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Magic-Kingdom/News/23Nov2011-%27Disney-Parks-Christmas-Day-Parade%27-taping-dates-and-entertainment-impact.htm

Unless, you enjoy just standing in one spot, and cheering on cue for something that isn't there, AVOID THE MAGIC KINGDOM on those days at all costs!!!!!!

Yes, cheering for something that isn't there. They film the crowd responses seperately from the parade and the stars performances. A couple of years ago when the parade taping was moved to Sunday due to weather, we had the misfortune of being in MK that day. They were filming the Justin Bieber crowd response sequence. They had a fill in singing the song and the crowd was given cues on how to respond!!! The actual performance on the castle stage is done after hours or early morning with lots of fake lighting and no general public!!!!

Thanks for sharing that information Carol. I had thought how much Rachel my 11 year old would love to be there when the taping was going on. When I say she loves watching the Disney Channel I am not exaggerating. It does not matter if it is a show she has seen 10 times before she would watch it again. I saw that the stars from Shake it Up were going to be there and really tried to get a trip there specifically so she could be there for the filming. It didn't work out and I was bummed, but now I think I am at peace about it.

I will have to check with the TCD twins to be sure, but I don't think Justin Bieber has ever performed in the WDW Christmas Parade. If he had, I am sure we would have been there.

We did attend the taping in 2009, where the Jonas Brothers were featured. We were able to secure tickets to the taping itself via a tip from a FF.net member. For the taping, we had to wear Christmas clothes and we entered the park very early- before sunrise. We were all placed around the stage and taught the moves to a flash mob dance. The Jo Bro's didn't arrive until maybe 9 am, and the park was open then, and on this occasion, the invited park guests to particpate because they wanted the crowd to look bigger.

TCD twin #1 managed to work her way up to a spot next to the stage, and she was right there on TV when we watched the parade on Christmas morning.

We left the MK after the taping, but I can imagine that things would be messed up on the taping days.

I am sure by now that the tickets for the taping itself for this year have all been distributed. But, it's possible to see the taping as a regular park guest if anyone is crazy enough to want to.

TCD

I will have to check with the TCD twins to be sure, but I don't think Justin Bieber has ever performed in the WDW Christmas Parade. If he had, I am sure we would have been there.

We did attend the taping in 2009, where the Jonas Brothers were featured. We were able to secure tickets to the taping itself via a tip from a FF.net member. For the taping, we had to wear Christmas clothes and we entered the park very early- before sunrise. We were all placed around the stage and taught the moves to a flash mob dance. The Jo Bro's didn't arrive until maybe 9 am, and the park was open then, and on this occasion, the invited park guests to particpate because they wanted the crowd to look bigger.

TCD twin #1 managed to work her way up to a spot next to the stage, and she was right there on TV when we watched the parade on Christmas morning.

We left the MK after the taping, but I can imagine that things would be messed up on the taping days.

I am sure by now that the tickets for the taping itself for this year have all been distributed. But, it's possible to see the taping as a regular park guest if anyone is crazy enough to want to.

TCD

Ok, you got me, then it was the Jonas Brothers, I knew it was one of those boy band singers, I don't have girls, so have no clue who all those folks are. (Just pulled a name out of the air) Also, I was also trying to avoid the main street mob at all costs to get to our first destination, so only saw stuff as I was ducking and weaving. However, it definitely looked like they were filming audience sequences without the "main attraction" there and having them react to signs and stuff instead of the real thing.

Ok, you got me, then it was the Jonas Brothers, I knew it was one of those boy band singers, I don't have girls, so have no clue who all those folks are. (Just pulled a name out of the air) Also, I was also trying to avoid the main street mob at all costs to get to our first destination, so only saw stuff as I was ducking and weaving. However, it definitely looked like they were filming audience sequences without the "main attraction" there and having them react to signs and stuff instead of the real thing.

I'd have been ducking and weaving and avoiding too. If they are all around the stage then the lines for the rides would be short .... right?

I'd have been ducking and weaving and avoiding too. If they are all around the stage then the lines for the rides would be short .... right?

I would think that the lines for rides would be short during the taping, but probably bad after it concluded- which was before noon. But after they taped the castle sequence, they then taped the parade itself, which involves a lot of blocked traffic along the parade route. My impression is that it would be very difficult to move around the park on a taping day.

TCD

We inadvertently stumbled into parade taping day once years ago.

Main St and the hub are JAMMED with people. I've even heard that sometimes they'll route regular day guest through the backstage areas behind to get them through.

The crowds seemed to spill over into Fantasyland some - not really sure why as I've heard the rest of the park is generally pretty "normal" during the tapings. We waited an hour to get an order of french fries then high-tailed it out of there.

One thing to keep in mind is that once the taping is over for the day (usually mid-afternoon-ish) all those people flood into the rest of the park.

We inadvertently stumbled into parade taping day once years ago.

Main St and the hub are JAMMED with people. I've even heard that sometimes they'll route regular day guest through the backstage areas behind to get them through.

The crowds seemed to spill over into Fantasyland some - not really sure why as I've heard the rest of the park is generally pretty "normal" during the tapings. We waited an hour to get an order of french fries then high-tailed it out of there.

One thing to keep in mind is that once the taping is over for the day (usually mid-afternoon-ish) all those people flood into the rest of the park.

avoid... avoid... avoid. Warning Will.... avoid

TCD

We were at MK that day too but not for long. What a mob. We hopped to another park. It reminded us of home that day though because it was cold and windy.

From the Touring Plans blog...

Impact of Christmas Parade Taping December 2 and 3

by Brian McNichols on November 30, 2011 3 Comments

As many of you are probably aware, Disney is filming its annual Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade on Friday, December 2, and Saturday, December 3. This will only affect the Magic Kingdom, but here are a few things you should be aware of if you are planning on visiting the park on one of those days:

One last very important thing to be aware of is that the Magic Kingdom will be extremely busy all the way down Main Street, U.S.A. The extra crowds actually do not affect the wait times very much, which is why our Crowd Calendar ratings are not exceptionally high. The problem you will face will be simply maneuvering down Main Street to get to the attractions.

If you are not interested in the parade taping it is probably best to avoid the Magic Kingdom this weekend. If you decide to visit the park, make sure you get there early and use a Touring Plan. It also won’t hurt to sharpen your ‘squeezing through people’ skills.

http://blog.touringplans.com/2011/11/30/disney-world-christmas-parade-201/

For what it's worth, the TCD twins heard a rumor that Justin Bieber was going to be at the WDW parade taping this weekend.

But, from what they have heard so far, today was just Scotty McCreery, the guy who won the last American Idol show.

The Bieber thing could have some truth to it, since he is pushing a new Christmas CD, and he is dating Disney Channel star Selena Gomez, but the twins don't believe it. We don't have tickets anyway, so we are sitting this year's taping out.

TCD

My DD came into the bathroom - SCREECHING - this morning because she heard either on the news or GMA that the Biebs was going to be performing at Disney for the Christmas parade. Bless her heart - she was cute and confused because she of course thought this was going down ON Christmas (she watches it every year and thought it was live from MK that day) and was so thrilled because she thought she would see the Biebs. I told her that they FILMED the parade to show it on Christmas day and.....here was the kicker....Biebs was supposedly at DisneyLAND, not World.....

She was crushed.....