From the Disney Food Blog...

Guest Review: Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue

Dec 26th, 2011 by AJ.

Learn About:

Hoop Dee Doo Revuehoopdeedoo.jpg

Disney World Restaurants

Welcome back James Hummel with a rousing review of the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue at Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground. You may want to kick up your heels after this fun read! By the way — don’t forget that Hoop Dee Doo experienced a few changes after a copyright battle this summer…

Hoop Dee Doo Revue Review – Yee ha! I had read and heard many things about Hoop Dee Doo Revue leading up to my last vacation. I was always reluctant to attend Pioneer Hall as it never seemed like an accessible location. Since I was staying in the Cabins at Fort Wilderness, it was the perfect opportunity to check out one of the most talked about dining experiences in Walt Disney World.

If you aren’t staying at Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge or the Contemporary, Pioneer Hall can be a challenge to get to. In most cases you have to make your way to either the Magic Kingdom and hop on the Fort Wilderness boat (recommended) or get to one of the other 3 parks and take the Fort Wilderness bus (not recommended; it will end up being a 2-bus ride as you have to take a second internal bus to get to the hall). If you are staying at Wilderness Lodge or the Contemporary, it’s a simple and relaxing boat ride.

Atmosphere

Once at Fort Wilderness and Pioneer Hall, you’ll feel like you’re in an old Western town, complete with horse carriages and a Trading Post. Kids can have fun before and after the show in the sizable playground and with old time games like horseshoes (rubber shoes for safety). If you time your reservation right, you can sit on the Bay Lake beach and catch Wishes and the Electrical Water Pageant.

WLandAKL-033.jpg

Pioneer Hall at Fort Wilderness

So, what’s the dinner show all about?

Inside the hall, you feel like you are sitting in an old stage saloon. Families sit at large tables on the lower level or in the balcony. We sat on the lower level, under the balcony. Our table was taller so that we could see over the other tables, and we sat on swivel chairs so we could swing around while we were eating.

Inside-Pioneer-Hall-500x375.jpg

Inside Pioneer Hall

Eats

Dinner is served family style and is all-you-care-to-eat. When we sat down we were provided with fresh corn bread with butter, and tossed salad. The bread was very tasty, and thankfully not dry (can’t stand dry corn bread). The salad was OK. A typical tossed salad.

Corn-Bread-and-Salad-2-500x374.jpg

Corn Bread and Salad

We were also served all you can drink beer, wine, or Sangria in addition to other non-alcoholic beverages. My brother-in-law and I enjoyed the beer, while my wife tried the Sangria. I would pass on the Sangria. It seemed bitter to me.

menu-1.jpg

Hoop Dee Doo Revue Menu

Dinner came shortly after and included Fried chicken, Ribs, Corn, Mashed potatoes, and Cowboy beans.

Chicken-Ribs-and-Yummy-Cowboy-Beans-2.jpg

Chicken, Ribs and Yummy Cowboy Beans

Let’s talk about the protein first: the ribs were OK but the Chicken was fantastic. The chicken was very moist and the skin was very crispy. I love me some crispy fried chicken.

The winner of the meal though was the Cowboy beans. The beans contained loads of pulled pork. I could have eaten the beans as an entire meal.

For dessert we had strawberry shortcake. The cake was moist and the strawberry topping was not overly sweet. If I wasn’t filled up on chicken, I would have had a hearty serving. (Editor’s Note: This looks like a different Strawberry Shortcake than what we were served on my last visit. Can anyone concur?)

Strawberry-Shortcake-500x476.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake

The Show

As good as the meal was, the real reason I was at Pioneer Hall was for the show. The Revue was fantastic. The show just doesn’t happen on the stage but all around you. There is lots of guest interaction going on.

Singin-500x375.jpg

Singin'

Dancin-500x375.jpg

Dancin'

I won’t give too much of the show away, as you really need to experience it in person. The dancing and singing get your feet tapping.

The jokes may be corny but they are also family friendly. I was afraid that my three year old son would get bored with the show, but he was glued to the action. He barely ate his dinner for all the action going on. Oh, and fair warning, the finale is LOUD!

Overall

The only negative part of the experience was the service: I think the Cast Members have too many tables to handle in such a short period of time. We had to wait for our drinks and I still haven’t been served the extra fried chicken we asked for.

The Hoop Dee Revue is a fantastic experience. It may be kinda pricey (we were on the dining plan so we had to use 2 credits, but I think the bill was over $200 for the 5 of us) but I will return to Pioneer Hall on my next trip. Yee Ha!!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/12/26/guest-review-hoop-dee-doo-musical-revue/

We did HDDR on Christmas night and we thoroughly enjoyed it! Every time they left the stage, the Princess would say "are they coming back??!" ~ she didn't want the show to end! I will say that one of the performers ~ Flora ~ appeared to be simply dialing it in. She didn't seem so interested in being there. Hubs said she was probably upset that she was relegated to HDDR when she had her sights set on the Beauty and the Beast show at DHS. :)

The salad was GREAT (loved the dressing), the food was good and the dessert was wonderful. Our first time there and all in all, a great experience!

A "FYI" for anybody considering the HDDR. You can ask for special meals if you don't want the standard menu. Linda and I had some low-cal meals last year when we were there. The chef is very accommodating, he came to our table and asked what we would like and the food was wonderful...

The music has changed a lot, but the show is still great and really the actors make the show what it is. The ones tonight were great and really played to the audience a lot. They added buttered sweet corn to the menu. I don't think they removed anything. The corn was good, heavily buttered. All-in-all it was as good of an experience as always. I still love HDDR.

The music has changed a lot, but the show is still great and really the actors make the show what it is. The ones tonight were great and really played to the audience a lot. They added buttered sweet corn to the menu. I don't think they removed anything. The corn was good, heavily buttered. All-in-all it was as good of an experience as always. I still love HDDR.

I'm so glad that you weren't disappointed! I haven't been, but I will one day!

We took in the HDDR on December 19th and thoroughly enjoyed it, We try to do it every year when we are there. The kids loved the music and we all loved the food. I do think the strawberry shortcake was a little different but still wonderful.....just not enough of it. We did not ask for more though.

On Dec. 31 we went to the Back Yard Bar B Que and enjoyed it as usual. Food is always wonderful but I was not as fond of the chicken this year as I have been in the past. Not crispy enough. Shawnee did much better with the loud music this year too,

We will do both of them next year too.