We are trying to stuff some long weekend trips into our schedule before our honeymoon. I <3 Fort Wilderness and am trying to find a way to keep the tent cool while camping out at the fort. Any suggestions? Has anyone else braved the Florida summers in a tent?

I have thought about renting a popup but financially it may not work. However, it would guarantee cool. :)

You can rig a window air conditioner for a tent. Some poke it in the door, some put it through a window, and there is also this fancy gadget called an A/C Tent Boot.

http://acboot.com/

July 4th, 2010 my son survived with just a fan circulating air in the tent.

There are a lot of tent campers at the Fort every summer.

Many find a way to rig an a/c unit to their tents.

But a lot rough it with just fans.

Fellow Fiend RM0530 just posted a trip report with photos of her set-up from a summer tent camping trip:

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/4739-some-summer-fun-for-winter-a-july-tr/

Yes, it's hot and humid.

But, as I have said before, people lived in Florida before a/c was invented.

So, if there's a will, there's a way.

TCD

We did tents for years. I would say if your only sleeping in it, bring a couple of fans, take a cool shower right before bed, and you will survive. It's during the day that you wouldn't want to be hanging around. I find that you can tolerate things much more than normal when you're at the Fort, because you're at the Fort! :))

We went in August 2008 with our trailer and a tent for the two teenage boys. They had the AC running so cold in the tent that there was condensation on that puppy in the morning! We had a fair amount of shade, and their tent was under a screenhouse to keep the downpours off the tent and AC.

I think we contributed to global warming that week!