Camping an hour or two north of the Fort?

We're driving down from GA and would like to leave a day early, drive most of the way, and camp close. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonable campground an hour or two north of the Fort? Doesn't need to be fancy, just clean and reasonably priced.

Lots of folks stop at In and Out in Lake City. That's about 3 hours out though.

I don't have any personal experience, but there is the KOA Wildwood at the exit just before you enter the Turnpike

http://www.wecamphere.com/Campground/CampgroundDetail.aspx?C1=7430

Also this website is an excellent resource!!

www.wecamphere.com

The Inn & Out is fine for overnight. We can usually make it to the Fort in 2 !/2 hours. It is nothing fancy but there are a lot of restaurants and a Walmart nearby. I think the last time we stayed there in October the rate was $26. They have full hook-up sites with free wi-fi and cable.

Lots of folks stop at In and Out in Lake City. That's about 3 hours out though.

I don't have any personal experience, but there is the KOA Wildwood at the exit just before you enter the Turnpike

http://www.wecampher...il.aspx?C1=7430

Also this website is an excellent resource!!

www.wecamphere.com

No longer a KOA and, don't don't, don't stay there. We were there last year and it was a "DUMP" and very expensive. Also agree about Ocala, nice park, close to everything. We just spent 3 nights there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read many reviews about the Wildwood location, none good, there is a small capground up the road from there that is ok, not great but ok.

I agree, Bob. It's not worth the money you have to spend. Not that it's awful, but it's certainly not what you pay for...

We come down I-95 for the last leg of our trip and we usually stop at North Beach Camp Resort at St. Augustine. The campground is about 2 miles north of the city centre and the historic district. It fronts on the Atlantic with a nice beach and it extends back to the Intracoastal Waterway where you can launch your boat. There's plenty to do in St. Augustine with all the services you need, including a Disney Character outlet and a Camping World.

From there its a two-hour hop to the Fort.