That is Discovery Island. Back in the 70's it was called Treasure Island. Guests could visit the island, which was kind of like a zoologic sanctuary. It closed in 1999 around the time Animal Kingdom opened. At this point it is abandoned.

Interestingly, it was open as an attraction exactly 25 years. It opened on April 8, 1974, and closed on April 8, 1999.

Here's a blog from the guy that managed to pull off a covert mission to the island in 2009...

http://shaneperez.blogspot.com/2009/12/discovery-island.html

Here's another good page with info...

http://www.disneyeveryday.com/discovery-island-an-extinct-walt-disney-world-attraction/

I thought I read on this very site, where no one ever pulls anyone's leg, that the island was going to reopen. It was going to feature copious amounts of alchol and a massage parlor. Can't remember who let us know. By the way on Google maps the island is named after one of my grandsons, it's called Riley's Island.

I thought I read on this very site, where no one ever pulls anyone's leg, that the island was going to reopen. It was going to feature copious amounts of alchol and a massage parlor. Can't remember who let us know. By the way on Google maps the island is named after one of my grandsons, it's called Riley's Island.

Shhh! Don't let the cat out of the bag! Only people that know the special handshake will be allowed on the island...