Long Weekend to Disneyland and San Diego Zoo

Love the roger rabbit cars!

What were the temps like? I thought it was always warm in CA but it looks like some people are bundled up.

We were comfortable but we saw ahead of time that the temps would be in the 60's during the day and in the 40's at night. We made sure we wore our longjohns. So many people were complaining about being cold... but then they were dressed in shorts and t-shirts. It also drizzled the entire time we were at the San Diego Zoo. So much for "It Never Rains in Southern California".

Here we are bundled up.

DSCN1748.jpg

Is the small world at DL the original from the Worlds Fair? I think Great Moments was moved from the fair. I remember reading once that Carousel of Progress was moved from the Worlds Fair to DL, and then moved on to the MK in 1975. But I wasn't sure if they moved small world from the fair or just recreated it at DL.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Small_World:

"It's a Small World was created by WED Enterprises in record time as the 1964 New York World's Fair UNICEF pavilion sponsored by Pepsi as a gift to the children of the world. Coincidentally, this attraction debuted in the same year as another prominent Disney attraction, "Carousel of Progress". It featured the kinetic sculpture Tower of the Four Winds, a 120-foot-high, perpetually turning mobile created by WED designer Roland "Rolly" Crump. It is one of five attractions (Magic Skyway [Ford], Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln [illinois], it's a small world [uNICEF/Pepsi], Carousel of Progress [GE], and a tentative Circlerama 360°) which were used by Disney to test concepts and ride systems, then moved and re-built at Disneyland after the World's Fair closed in 1966. The company was given only 11 months lead time to create the ride.[1]"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had been at Disneyland since just after 7:00 AM so we were starting to drag. We headed to Downtown for supper and had to stop at the two-story Build a Bear Store. They have a huge selection of Disney outfits and Pro Sports team uniforms.

DSCN1609.jpg

DSCN1605.jpg

DSCN1604.jpg

DSCN1607.jpg

We walked back to the hotel and watched the Disneyland Fireworks from the top floor of the hotel.

This was looking toward California Adventure. Tower of Terror is to the left, the roller coaster and ferris wheel are toward the middle.

DSCN1722.jpg

Now for the fireworks.

DSCN1723.jpg

DSCN1741.jpg

DSCN1731.jpg

It's now Sunday AM and we were planning on spending most of the day at California Adventure... but it doesn't open till 10:00 AM. No clue why. Seemed like it should open at the same time as Disneyland. We headed to Disneyland first because Joyce didn't use her Star Tours Fast Pass yestersay. She got in the single rider line, which turned out to be the same as the Fast Pass line. I decided to ride Buzz Lightyear multiple times. What fun!

We then rode the monorail that goes from Tomorrowland to Downtown.

DSCN1795.jpg

DSCN1796.jpg

DSCN1793.jpg

We walked through Downtown to California Adventure. The park's main entrance area is closed for renovation so we had to weave around to actually get into it. I wanted to ride Monsters Inc, Mike and Sulley to the Rescue so we headed there first. It was about 10:15 by the time we got there and no one was in line. We were the first to ride it??? I thought it was fun, sort of like the Sleeping Beauty and Pooh's Blustery Day at Magic Kingdom, only based on the Monsters Inc movie, complete with the Door conveyor belt. Then, we were off to Turtle Talk with Crush. Again, no line. There were only 6 of us for the entire show so Joyce and I sat down front on the floor. We got to spend the entire show interacting with Crush. Wow! That would never happen at Epcot.

Joyce wanted to ride Tower of Terror so we head that way across the Hollywood Backlot.

DSCN1760.jpg

DSCN1759.jpg

DSCN1758.jpg

Here we are at Tower of Terror.

DSCN1761.jpg

While I'm waiting on her, a Monsters Inc "parade" goes by. They were heading to the Backlot to do a show.

DSCN1763.jpg

DSCN1764.jpg

DSCN1765.jpg

Next we are off to A Bug's Land.

DSCN1782.jpg

This is where It's Tough to be a Bug lives. The show is the same as the one at Animal Kingdom.

DSCN1773.jpg

DSCN1774.jpg

This is Flik's Flyers. Isn't it cute!

DSCN1769.jpg

DSCN1770.jpg

The lights have bugs on them.

DSCN1771.jpg

We walked toward Paradise Pier. Note the cars on the ferris wheel.

DSCN1775.jpg

DSCN1778.jpg

The roller coaster (above) has just loaded and moved to this position. There is a count down 10, 9, 8... and at 1 it takes off like a jet.

We were heading toward Mickey's Fun Wheel. I've never seen a ferris wheel like it. Part of the cars are fixed like normal ferris wheels cars and part are on rails that swing the cars from the outside toward the middle of the hub. I didn't explain that well... check out the pictures. Here is a close up of the cars as they near the loading area.

DSCN1780.jpg

There are two queues for this ride... one for the fixed cars and one for the cars that move. Unlike Monsters and Turtle Talk with Crush, there were long lines. We waited in line 45 minutes, had 6 people in front of us when the ride was closed for some unknown reason. We had to leave the queue area. Big BUMMER!

We headed to the Golden State area for lunch at the Concina Cucamonga Mexican Grill where we were serenaded by a female Mariachi band.

We stopped at the Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar that shows what changes are in store for the parks. From the entry area, we could see into the new Cars area.

DSCN1783.jpg

Here you can also see the mesas that are being built.

DSCN1777.jpg

Cars characters.

DSCN1787.jpg

Now we are off to Soarin'. There is a single rider line, again it is part of the Fast Pass line. The movie is the same as the one at Epcot, only without the piece of black lint that has been on the screen that last couple times I've been to WDW.

This is the backside of the Grizzley River Run. It was supposed to be closed but we did see people riding it.

DSCN1788.jpg

DSCN1789.jpg

We head back to the hotel for a rest prior to heading to Disneyland for the Fireworks.

I have ALWAYS wanted to visit Disneyland. This is not helping.

Great Great Great report!!!! I wish WDW still had the Davy Crockett canoes. My boys would love them... I know WE sure did growing up!

Our group was very uncoordinated. The cast member did a lousy job calling cadence. The other canoes in front of us were working as teams and fun to watch. Definitely on the "Let's do that again" list.

OK, it's Sunday night and we head over the Disneyland for the 8:40 PM fireworks. We wondered if they would be held because it had been raining. I didn't bring my rain coat so I bought a Disney poncho at one of the stores on Main Street - the first one on the left... the same store, same position as Magic Kingdom.

We walked up to Sleeping Beauty Castle to take some pictures.

DSCN1798.jpg

DSCN1802.jpg

We camped out in the rain on a bench by the Main Street flag pole and the fireworks started on time.

DSCN1805.jpg

DSCN1807.jpg

DSCN1809.jpg

After the fireworks we walked around a bit and headed back to Adventureland so I could ride the Jungle Cruise at night. I didn't know how they would light up the scenes along the way. For those who haven't ridden it at night, the boats have spotlights on the edge of the roof.

We head back to the hotel. Tomorrow is The San Diego Zoo.

Joyce and I had talked from the beginning planning stages of this trip about taking a tour. Gray Line, the company that runs Disney Express to and from the airports also offers an array of trips. LA, LA and Hollywood, LA shopping, Legoland, Knotts Berry Farm, Sea World, The San Diego Zoo, Tiajuana.

We had it down to two, LA/Hollywood and The San Diego Zoo. It came down to... if I were 90 years old, which would I regret not ever having done. The Zoo won.

Gray Line made the rounds of all the Disney area hotels between 8:00 and 8:45 AM. The tours all left their main hub about 9:00 AM. Our double-decker bus took the people headed to both Sea World and The San Diego Zoo. Joyce and I were the first two on the bus so we sat on the top level, front row. It rained most all day so we had the windshield wipers to contend with but we still had a good view. We went by lots of exits that would be worth exploring if we had time.

San Juan Capistrano

DSCN1843.jpg

San Clemente

DSCN1846.jpg

Here's the Pacific Ocean

DSCN1848.jpg

DSCN1850.jpg

All but 9 of us got off at Sea World. Cute Shamu car!

DSCN1855.jpg

Our San Diego Zoo ticket included a bus tour plus the hop on, hop off bus. We start off with the tour to get a lay of the land. It is much more rugged that I expected.

Here's a cute hippo statue.

DSCN1858.jpg

The polar bear exhibit.

DSCN1861.jpg

The elephants. After we got back I found out that two elephants had been euthanized the week before for problems related to old age and a 21 year old female had been killed by the lead female elephant at the San Diego Safari Park (part of the same complex) in November.

DSCN1865.jpg

A bear

DSCN1869.jpg

Giraffe

DSCN1876.jpg

A cheetah and his pal, a rescue dog. I'd not heard of this program, but it's been part of the zoo for 30 years.

DSCN1878.jpg

DSCN1879.jpg

DSCN1880.jpg

We then took the sky ride from the front of the park to the back corner.

DSCN1882.jpg

We started in the back corner at the Polar Bear exhibit.

DSCN1885.jpg

Arctic Fox

DSCN1890.jpg

This is Yun Zi, A Giant Panda. I've been following him on The San Diego Zoo webcam since he was born.

DSCN1895.jpg

DSCN1898.jpg

The Gorillas

DSCN1905.jpg

Orangutans

DSCN1911.jpg

DSCN1912.jpg

Koalas. This guy is smart. He's asleep under a heat lamp.

DSCN1914.jpg

DSCN1919.jpg

Now the Lions. Note the interesting sign in the foreground.

DSCN1920.jpg

Camel

DSCN1928.jpg

There were quite a few peacocks and peahens roaming the grounds.

DSCN1937.jpg

DSCN1936.jpg

DSCN1931.jpg

The park closed at 5:00 but the bus wasn't due till 5:45. When the bus arrived, one guy was missing. The bus driver called his supervisor and was told to wait 10 minutes. Well, 10 minutes later he still wasn't there so we left. Turns out he really wanted to go to Tijuana but the bus company wouldn't take him because he didn't have his passport, so he took the zoo trip. Guess he got as close to the border as he could and found someone else to take him. Odd.

Judy, you take the coolest trips!! I didn't think you could ever top the Stanley Hotel, but the zoo runs a tight second place. A rescue dog in the pen with a cheetah?!?! I would love to know the story behind that.

I did not know that lions "sprayed" Ewwww. I guess they are just a big cat. :)

Judy, you take the coolest trips!! I didn't think you could ever top the Stanley Hotel, but the zoo runs a tight second place. A rescue dog in the pen with a cheetah?!?! I would love to know the story behind that.

I did not know that lions "sprayed" Ewwww. I guess they are just a big cat. :)

You can read more about the program here. Very interesting.

http://blogs.sandiegozoo.org/2009/10/09/cheetah-and-dog-pals/

My current vacation theory is to take more frequent, short trips. It's been working so far. The next one is back to the Stanley Hotel in April to participate in a Ghost Hunters (the TV show guys) weekend. :banana:

The next one is back to the Stanley Hotel in April to participate in a Ghost Hunters (the TV show guys) weekend. :banana:

To say I'm jealous would be an understatement!! I looked into that after your report, and it was a little out of my budget. I hope you have a ghostly time. ;)

Great pictures from the zoo, it is one of the best zoos to visit, if you ever get to the Philadelphia Pa area you should try that zoo I think it's the oldest zoo in America. Thanks again for the great photos :bravo:

You can read more about the program here. Very interesting.

http://blogs.sandieg...h-and-dog-pals/

My current vacation theory is to take more frequent, short trips. It's been working so far. The next one is back to the Stanley Hotel in April to participate in a Ghost Hunters (the TV show guys) weekend. :banana:

To say I'm jealous would be an understatement!! I looked into that after your report, and it was a little out of my budget. I hope you have a ghostly time. ;)

I am jealous too! I so want to go and do that!

Very awesome update!!!

Got a question, did Tink fly that night??

That's another big difference between DL and WDW, tink actually kindof goes AROUND the castle. Not just hurtles down a line from the top of the castle.

Tink flew the night I watched the fireworks from the hotel. I couldn't tell exactly where she was flying but it lasted several minutes and it wasn't just down the zipline. She didn't fly the night we watched from the Main Street. It might have had something to do with the rain.

Judy,

What wonderful trip report!!!! I absolutely LOVE all the pictures that you have shared of Disneyland!!!!! They are bringing back wonderful memories for me. We went to DL in 2009, sadly, I have no pictures from the trip. Before we arrived for our week long disneyland trip we had gone to Yosemite National Park, where some jerk stole my camera. It was a vacation of a lifetime, with no pictures! I can tell you that when my husband and kids get home tonight, we are all going to look at your pictures together!!! Great memories, thanks again!

Heidi

Judy, What wonderful trip report!!!! I absolutely LOVE all the pictures that you have shared of Disneyland!!!!! They are bringing back wonderful memories for me. We went to DL in 2009, sadly, I have no pictures from the trip. Before we arrived for our week long disneyland trip we had gone to Yosemite National Park, where some jerk stole my camera. It was a vacation of a lifetime, with no pictures! I can tell you that when my husband and kids get home tonight, we are all going to look at your pictures together!!! Great memories, thanks again! Heidi

Thanks! Yosemite with no pictures to show for it! What a shame. Don't you wish you could poke the guy in the nose? You'll just have to go back and take more pictures!

Judy, Thank you so much for posting this wonderful Trip Report. I've never seen a Disney Land TR before. I really

enjoyed it. :)

You're welcome H in SC. My pleasure.

Tuesday AM we left for home using the Grayline Disney Express Shuttle to the airport. We had to be on the curb outside the hotel ready to be picked up at 8:40 AM. Good thing it wasn't raining. All the literature states that their goal is to get you to the airport two hours before flight time for domestic flights. That wasn't our experience. We were picked up on time, but we were taken to the Disneyland Grand Californian where we were put on another bus with folks from other hotels. We finally arrived an hour before our flight. Fortuately, the line at Security was short. If there is a next time, I'll give them an earlier time for my flight. Note to self... remember that Orange County John Wayne Airport is a stickler for the one suitcase and one carryone rule. I bought a bottle of wine at a stand inside the terminal. It wouldn't fit in my bags, so they made me check my suitcase.

Looking back on the trip, there were several things that stood out:

Other than at park opening, it seemed like we could never find a cast member at Disneyland or California Adventure if we had a question. I don't remember that being an issue at WDW.

The restaurant queues at Disneyland weren't as organized as WDW.

The Dole Whip line in Adventureland crossed the entrance to The Enchanted Tiki Room. They had to station a cast member there for traffic control. They also had only two people working in the Dole Whip stand. One taking the orders/money and one making them. It was a slow process.

I still don't understand why California Adventure doesn't open till 10:00 AM and closes at 8:00 PM most nights.

It is nice having the parks so close together and the partner hotels nearby. No need to pay >$300 a night for a room on property. It made going back to the room easy. It was also nice to have McDonald's in the parking lot and Pizza Hut on the hotel's 3rd floor.

Early morning hours at Disneyland start at 7:00 AM? Now that's early!

No matter how nice The San Diego Zoo is, the animals are still in captivity. The polar bear was pacing 6 steps forward, 6 steps backwards on a small rocky area. We passed him an hour later, he was still pacing 6 steps up and 6 steps back.

Before they added the new stuff in DCA, it was purely a partial day park, and they couldn't fill it with guests during the early or later hours.

I'm guessing now, to give the construction folks more time to work without guests (for entrance and exit of heavy equipment???). Maybe they will make the hours longer once all the work is finished.

• 2 weeks later...

This link will take you to the Howard Johnson Hotel webcam. It rotates between multiple views of Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. I understand it is disabled during the fireworks. The top right hand side of most views will tell you what you are looking at.

http://www.hojoanaheim.com/take-a-tour/webcam

Judy great trip report! We were at DL in 2001 over new years. We had the same weather, it drizzled and was hazy foggy the whole time we were there. We also stayed at the same hotel. It was very convenient and with 2 growing boys along it helped having McDonalds right there ;0.

Maybe some day we will get back that way.