TCD's College Road Trip (via the Fort)

Yesterday, I said this trip report would be wrapping up today.

But, I was wrong about that.

I found some bonus photos that I thought I should share.

These are from the real photographer in the TCD gang- Twin #1.

Here is her photo of the sunset over the All Star Music pool:

IMG_8944.jpg

Nice, huh?

Well, it was even nicer in person.

And, those are people swimming in the pool.

On the evening of January 27th.

I tell you if we didn't love the Fort so much we would become All Star people.

These resorts have really grown on me.

One thing that I neglected to mention about the All Stars is that the guests who stay there like to have fun. In some of the WDW resorts we have been to, the guests seem stressed out, and not very happy. Not so at the All Stars. These places are full of regular people having a good time.

As it should be.

I told you that we tried out the new Katsura grill at the Japan pavilion in Epcot on Friday night.

I am not big on taking food photos.

But Twin #1 is.

So, here are a couple of photos of what we had that night:

IMG_8971.jpg

That's the Tsukemen salad that I mentioned. It has noodles, shredded lettuce and crab meat, and a very light soy/ginger flavored dressing. It is served cold. I have never had it or even heard of it before, but I'm telling you it was good. You can see our sushi in the photo as well.

Here's a better shot of the sushi:

IMG_8972.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, the sushi seemed to be the same prepackaged sushi that they sell in the Polynesian quick serve restaurant. But, it is good.

I am not sure that I mentioned that we sat in the newly renovated outdoor seating area at the Katura Grill. It has these festive lanterns providing the lighting:

IMG_8974.jpg

There is also a multi-level waterfall, and really nice Japanese style gardens around the seating area. The sound of the waterfall muffles the sounds of Epcot, and makes a really nice atmosphere here. We were there on a nice cool evening, and it was great. I'm not sure how much I would enjoy sitting out here in the summer.

I mentioned earlier that we rode Soarin' during Illuminations.

Here is a photo Twin #1 took as we soared over the PGA course:

IMG_8980.jpg

This scene has one of my all-time favorite Hidden Mickeys. You really have to concentrate to see it. When the golfer hits the golf ball, focus on the ball as it flies up toward you. There is an outline of the familiar Mickey head on the golf ball! You will see it if you look!

I already shared the photos I took on Spaceship Earth showing how I would look in the future.

Well, it looks like Twin #1 and I will be wearing the same outfit, and striking that same sassy pose! :

IMG_8992.jpg

That's awkward.

Here are Twin #1 and Twin #2 enjoying the future:

IMG_8997.jpg

Note how the automatic camera doesn't know what to do about their hair.

Here are our faces on the big map before we turned into specks of light and flew away:

IMG_9002.jpg

Twin #1 even took a photo of their spots landing on Djibouti (that is the NE coast of Africa- the narrow light blue glob is the Red Sea) :

IMG_9007.jpg

Now we will look at some photos from Saturday.

This one was taken on our bus ride to Hollywood Studios. We hadn't heard about this new "Buddies" movie. Which raised two questions:

How many of these has Disney pumped out?

and

Do these greedy boogers have no shame? :

IMG_9014.jpg

I think this photo display has been in front of Hollywood Studios since last year, but I don't remember ever looking at the photos before. They caught our attention today. It is interesting how Disney chose to use regular looking people in these photos and not fake looking models:

IMG_9015.jpg

Hey look, they have a photo of an Imperial Walker on the cover of the Japanese version of the HS guide map:

IMG_9020.jpg

And here we are standing under the big Imperial Walker outside of the Star Tours attraction:

IMG_9027.jpg

I can see where a Star Wars geek would think this was pretty cool.

Here's the Star Tours sign:

IMG_9028.jpg

And here's a shot of all the Ewok stuff up in the trees:

IMG_9029.jpg

The girls asked me to take this photo as we waited to board the ride. They didn't really want a photo of themselves, they wanted a photo of the three identically dresses asian girls in the next row. They were all taking photos of themselves posing like the TCD twins are posing in this photo:

IMG_9034.jpg

Here is a photo of when C3P0 met Darth Vader:

IMG_9037.jpg

I didn't know until just recently that Darth Vader built C3P0. How odd is that?

Here are a couple of shots of where we ate in Pizza Planet. It was pretty busy in there, so we ate upstairs. There always seem to be tables available up there, and it is a lot more peaceful than the main floor:

IMG_9046.jpg

IMG_9047.jpg

This is a shot of the revolving door in front of one of the buildings on the New York Street:

IMG_9050.jpg

The very loud Mulch, Sweat and Shears group was blaring their music and "entertaining" the crowds here on the street:

IMG_9056.jpg

I don't know who these guys have for an agent, but their agent must have some really incriminating photos of the Hollywood Studios manager. I don't think we have been to Hollywood Studios at any time lately when these musicians guys were not blaring their noise music. Does anybody really like these guys?

Here is Twin #1's photo of the forgotten Osborne lights strand:

IMG_9057.jpg

Here are a couple of Twin #1's photos of the New York street:

IMG_9058.jpg

IMG_9059.jpg

I kind of like seeing it without all of those lights and things.

The last thing we did at Hollywood Studios was Tower of Terror. Here is our ride photo:

IMG_9061.jpg

As already mentioned, after TOT, we left and headed over to AK.

Twin #1 took some photos there too.

We will pick our story back up with our arrival at AK in the next post.

TCD

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am amazed that Disney was able to find so many dogs for the buddy movies with the same genetic defect that prevents them from growing out of puppyhood, allowing Disney to continue to use them in sequels. Way to go, Bobby!

I didn't know until just recently that Darth Vader built C3P0. How odd is that?

If you haven't seen Episode I, or in your case you were probably snoozing because of all that technical talk, you wouldn't know that.

In that movie, Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader as a little boy, is building C3PO.

I am amazed that Disney was able to find so many dogs for the buddy movies with the same genetic defect that prevents them from growing out of puppyhood, allowing Disney to continue to use them in sequels. Way to go, Bobby!

Wow, this is news to me. Silly me, I thought they just got a new batch of puppies for each movie.

Way to go, Bobby, indeed!

If you haven't seen Episode I, or in your case you were probably snoozing because of all that technical talk, you wouldn't know that.

In that movie, Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader as a little boy, is building C3PO.

What I should have said is that I just recently watched Episode 1 (I got the 6 disc set for Christmas), so I did see C3P0 without his gold skin there in Anakin's little shack. The force is strong in that one. ;)

For what it's worth, I am having a hard time buying what George Lucas is selling in those movies.

There sure are a lot of coincidences that happen out there in that big old universe of ours.

TCD

We have time for a short update . . .

It is Saturday afternoon, and we were heading to Animal Kingdom via the bus from Hollywood Studios.

Our elderly, tattooed driver delivered us there safely.

The AK entrance has some of those really candid looking photos like we just looked at from the Hollywood Studios entrance (photo credit to Twin #1 for these next few photos):

IMG_9062.jpg

You see that couple standing there in the photo in front of Expedition Everest? The young man in that photo has those great big ear gauge things in his ears. You know- those giant earring things that make big holes in your ears? What would Walt say about this?

Here is one of them animals that they have in Animal Kingdom. I would say it is something in the pig family, but to be honest with you, we usually rush through this part of the park, so I can't really say what it is:

IMG_9064.jpg

As we entered the park, the parade was about to start.

We are not big of parade fans, so we cut through the gift shop on the right, and headed toward Dinoland.

We didn't have a real clear plan of what we were going to do here. We know that Dinosaur rarely has a long wait, so we figured we would save that ride for last. We decided to head over to Expedition Everest to see how bad the wait was. The posted wait time for EE was 45 minutes. But, they were still dispensing Fastpasses with a 6:30 return time. We decided to get a Fastpass, and try to ride the Safari first, and then head back for EE and Dinosaur.

For some reason, none of the Fastpass machines would give us a Fastpass. I think maybe our tickets did not scan right when we came in the park. There was no castmember around to ask for help. Which is weird, because there always seems to be a castmember around. So no Fastpasses for us.

We knew that the parade would block our access to the Safari ride for a while.

So, what to do?

It sure was a warm afternoon.

We decided some ice cream would be good.

And, as luck would have it, this truck had apparently pulled up and parked just in time for us to get some soft serve ice cream.

We have passed this truck many, many times, but we have never gotten ice cream from here.

Today was the day.

Check this truck out:

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3184.jpg

If you study this thing, you will see that it has scenes depicting some of the AK attractions. You can see Kali River Rapids depicted here in the painting next to the peacock:

IMG_3185.jpg

And, there is a reference to Expediton Everest there in the painting to the right of the ice cream cone (that's a Twin #1 photo):

IMG_9067.jpg

We chilled for a bit and enjoyed the ice cream.

Then we headed over to the safari ride.

Unfortunately for us, everybody apparently swarmed there after the parade. The posted wait time was 20 minutes, but the line was spilling all the way out of the entrance. If you have been on the queue here, you know that meant the line was very long. We debated whether or not to get on line anyway, but we decided not to. We like the safari, but we don't like it enough to wait an hour for it, and it looked like it would take that long.

So, we had walked all the way over to this corner of AK for nothing.

We knew EE would be busy too.

So we decided to head over to Dinoland.

On the way, we snapped a few photos of and with the Tree of Life:

IMG_9069.jpg

IMG_9071.jpg

IMG_9073.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg

We did make it onto Dinosaur, and there was no wait, as expected.

Here's the ride photo:

IMG_3189.jpg

We noticed the wait for Premieval Whirl was short, but the girls didn't want to ride it. We watched it in operation, and despite the long time the ride was closed, it still looked like it was still operating very jerky. It's too bad. This ride used to be one of our favorites. But then they added brake mechanisms along the track to slow the vehicles down. I guess maybe people were getting hurt. These slow-downs have really taken the fun out of the ride. And, I would say the lack of passengers confirms that the ride has been ruined. It used to be a Fastpass ride. Now, you can pretty much walk on.

It was past 5 now. There wasn't much chance of us being able to ride anything here without a long wait. So, it was time for us to make a move.

We had discussed a couple of options about eating dinner, and then heading for home.

I used another Jedi mind trick and convinced the girls that we should head to the Fort for a Giddyap and Go chicken dinner.

And, that is where we decided to head next.

Next up, we will be heading back to the Fort!

TCD

TCD you just keep telling people you are Bob, my George would greatly appreciate it. Geez Bob, George is gonna have a complex and be afraid to go to the fort! :smartass:

Jeez-

I thought Bob was making up a random name. I forgot that we really do have a Fiend named George from Wisconsin.

From now on, I'll just use a completely stupid made up name.

How about Larry from Virginia? That sounds really stupid. And completely made up.

TCD

Andrew, it's nice to see you and your family getting into Star Wars. I guess I would consider myself a huge fan, but not a comic-con or geek fan. Star Wars is my overall favorite movie. true Star Wars fans will argue ove the sequels or prequels or whatever they call the new ones that Lucas got too soft. All in all, it's a great sci-fi story that families can watch and I'm glad my kids can enjoy them as I did at thier age. I'm dying to go on the new Star Tours, but til we get an annual pass, my opinion of an $80 one day ticket for DHS is just not worth the price. Once you get hooked on all the movies, you will be amazed on how big the star wars world is with merch, books, internet sites and what not.

I guess I would consider myself a huge fan, but not a comic-con or geek fan.

See, I knew it was just a matter of time before we connected on something.

When the first one, Episode IV, was originally released in 1977, I went to see it three times. I've never done that with any other movie before or since.

I only took the kids the first time though. Now my grandkids are into it. Wow, I'm old.

I've lost count on how many times I've seen all six.

Well, you are getting this in small doses today.

It's easier for me to keep the photos straight that way.

We left off with us in AK.

And we wanted to go to the Fort.

Our car was parked at All Star Music.

What would you do?

Well, I said let's take the bus to the Fort. Then we would hop an internal bus at the Outpost, and we would be there.

So, that's what we headed off to do.

When we got to the bus stop, there was a bus in the Fort bus stop. But the lights said Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach. The driver had probably forgotten to switch the sign over. But, just to be safe, I popped my head in the door and asked the not so young lady bus driver if this was the Fort Wilderness bus. She said sure it was. I said I was asking because the sign wasn't lit up. These days, bus drivers coming in to the parks drop off passengers all over the place. And sometimes they don't pick up passengers. So, I thought I should ask. The not so young lady told me she was going to get to changing the sign. She must have just started her shift, because she had a clipboard in her hand, and she was filling out some kind of report. I got the feeling from her that she was a new driver, and perhaps wasn't completely sure what she was doing.

As we had this conversation with the not so young lady, a Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian bus pulled up right across from the Fort Wilderness bus. This driver looked like he knew what he was doing. Twin #2 said let's take the Wilderness Lodge bus, and then get the Fort Wilderness bus from the lodge. That way, we would have a non-stop trip to Pioneer Hall, and not have to go through the whole campground. Plus, we wouldn't have to ride with the not so young lady.

That was Twin #2's second genius transportation idea on this trip.

We got on the Wilderness Lodge bus.

Of course, then the bus driver got off and a new driver came on. This new guy could have been the father of the old guy with the tattoos who drove us here. What I am trying to say is that the new guy was old. Really old. He also had to do some kind of inspection. He got going on that, and in the meantime our not so young lady bus driver took off. Fail. The really old guy took his time doing his inspection, but it wasn't too bad of a wait. Then he got on the bus, sat down, and I thought we were off. But I was wrong. He opened the door back up and got out to adjust his mirrors. Then he shuffled back on the bus, buckled himself in, and we were about to go when some ding-dong in an LSU shirt ran up and banged on the bus door. Really? We had been sitting there for about 10 minutes, and this ding-dong had to run up and bang on the door? Did I mention he was wearing an LSU shirt? Our ancient bus driver opened the door, and the guy in the LSU shirt asked if this was the bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge? Really? The bus stops are marked. The buses have big signs on them that say where they're going, and this one said Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian, and Mr. Bayou Bengal had to stop us to ask if this was his bus?

Some people.

Finally, we left the station.

Fortunately, the old guy remembered how to get to Wilderness Lodge, and then we were there.

Are you wondering why I gave you all of this detail.

Wait for it.

This is another weird bus story.

Lou likes them.

So, we are at Wilderness Lodge.

We just have to wait for the Fort bus, and we are good to go.

While we waited, I decided to get some photos of the beautiful flowers they have there at the Lodge.

Remember, it was January 28th:

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

Pretty nice, huh?

We hadn't been there 5 minutes when the girls called out to me that the Fort Wilderness bus was here!

And it was:

IMG_3193.jpg

Now, here's the weird part of the story.

The bus driver in that bus was the not so young lady who we had just seen at AK, and who was supposed to be going to Blizzard Beach and the Fort.

She wasn't supposed to be here.

I was confused.

I asked her if she was going to the Fort.

She said yes.

We were about to get on, but then I stopped and asked if she was going to the Outpost. She said yes. This was not one of the Fort's internal buses. I reminded her that we had just seen her a little bit ago at AK, and I asked her why she was here. She truthfully said she got lost.

Oy.

We didn't get on her bus.

At this point, I didn't want to go to the Outpost.

The not so young lady took off.

I wonder if she ever made it?

Just a couple of minutes later, the real Fort Wilderness bus showed up.

And we were in business.

Our choice turned out to be the right one after all. If we had gotten on the not so young lady's bus, who knows where we would be?

Here we are walking up to Pioneer Hall:

IMG_3197.jpg

This morning I had this whole place to myself.

This evening, it was mobbed with hundreds of people.

The wagon was out and waiting for passengers for the first ride of the night:

IMG_3198.jpg

There's that cowboy butt I promised you. That butt belongs to Joe, who goes way back with the TCD gang.

He has been a castmember for a long time.

Here's a look at the beautiful horses:

IMG_3199.jpg

And here is TCD Twin #1's more artsy shot of the same scene:

IMG_9080.jpg

This wagon is new:

IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3201.jpg

We ordered our chicken, and grabbed a picnic table on the porch.

The playground was packed! :

IMG_3203.jpg

And there were people everywhere!:

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg

Our food was ready in 15 minutes.

Here it is before we dug in:

IMG_3206.jpg

One of these days, I'm going to get a good photo of a Giddyup And Go (GAG), because that isn't a very good one.

As we were dining, a Fiend approached us to say hello. It was good old Grumpy/Dave, who was staying on the 100 loop. I had posted on FortFiends.net on the bus ride over that we would be on the porch in a little bit, and if there were any Fiends around, they should stop by and say hello. Dave did. I also got to see his new golf cart, built for him by good old fellow Fiend, Richey from Alumicar (aka Mr. LornaDuck). The cart was sweet, and Dave clearly was proud of it.

Dave, if you are reading along, it was good to see you!

We finished up our meal a little before 7.

At this point on trips like this, we often call it a day.

But we still had to get back to our hotel.

We would be taking the boat over to the MK to get our bus.

And, since we were heading that way anyway, we decided that we ought to pop in to the Magic Kingdom and watch the castle show at 7:45 and then Wishes at 8:00 before we called it a night.

So, that is what we did.

I'll tell you about that in the next post.

And, in case you think that all the intersting things in this report have already happened, let me tell you that we are not done with our weird bus experiences yet on this trip. And the weirdest one of all is yet to come.

TCD

Andrew, it's nice to see you and your family getting into Star Wars. I guess I would consider myself a huge fan, but not a comic-con or geek fan. Star Wars is my overall favorite movie. true Star Wars fans will argue ove the sequels or prequels or whatever they call the new ones that Lucas got too soft. All in all, it's a great sci-fi story that families can watch and I'm glad my kids can enjoy them as I did at thier age. I'm dying to go on the new Star Tours, but til we get an annual pass, my opinion of an $80 one day ticket for DHS is just not worth the price. Once you get hooked on all the movies, you will be amazed on how big the star wars world is with merch, books, internet sites and what not.

Dave- You are right about the movies being good to watch with the family. I have enjoyed watching them with my daughters.

I'll bet that we are the only people who have become Star Wars fans as a result of the Star Tours ride and the Star Wars Weekends at Hollywood Studios.

You know they have that 3 day pass special going on right now for Florida Residents, right?

I think you would find attending one of the Star Wars weekends would be worth the price of admission.

banana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif

Yes!

That is what I am talking about!

Thanks, Lisa!

When the first one, Episode IV, was originally released in 1977, I went to see it three times. I've never done that with any other movie before or since.

I only took the kids the first time though. Now my grandkids are into it. Wow, I'm old.

Wow, I feel like we should all get in a circle and sing kumbaya!

The snarky old chowd has finally connected with the young Tampa Bay fan!

I never thought I would see the day.

Actually, having met both Dave and Lou, I think they would get along fine.

I was a teenager when the first Star Wars (Episode IV) came out.

I immediately associated it with Star Trek, which was only for nerds where I came from.

So, I didn't see it right away.

I eventually did see it, and thought it was kind of boring and confusing.

I thought I had seen the next two that came out, but now that I have watched them, I have come to find out that I never did see Episodes V and VI before.

Now I like Star Wars.

Kind of.

There are still way too many coincidences in the plot for me to buy in to the story. If I let that go, then it's not too bad.

TCD

Now, here's the weird part of the story.

The bus driver in that bus was the not so young lady who we had just seen at AK, and who was supposed to be going to Blizzard Beach and the Fort.She wasn't supposed to be here.

Well you know, Wilderness Lodge, Fort Wilderness, it's all the same.

Come on, give the lady geezer a break. Adding the WL to the run was a bonus.

I'm so glad I've never made a mistake and gone to the wrong resort?

But seriously, there are way too many really, really, old drivers. If you shuffle or waddle when you walk, you shouldn't be driving a 40' bus with up to 75 people in it.

Here is one of them animals that they have in Animal Kingdom. I would say it is something in the pig family, but to be honest with you, we usually rush through this part of the park, so I can't really say what it is:

IMG_9064.jpg

That's a tapir. No, I didn't have to look it up. I have no idea why that piece of information is stored in my head. There's a lot of stuff I should know and don't, but for some reason I know what that pig-thing is. A tapir.

I somehow feel dumber for knowing that...

Awesome, another Jedi like myself. I too saw the Original 3 times back in 77. It was a movie to this day makes you go wow when you realize it was made in 1977. George Lucas is sure a cash cow. He makes us stupid fans buy both trilogies again and again when he releases a special edition or blu ray

Dave- You are right about the movies being good to watch with the family. I have enjoyed watching them with my daughters.

I'll bet that we are the only people who have become Star Wars fans as a result of the Star Tours ride and the Star Wars Weekends at Hollywood Studios.

You know they have that 3 day pass special going on right now for Florida Residents, right?

I think you would find attending one of the Star Wars weekends would be worth the price of admission.

Yes!

That is what I am talking about!

Thanks, Lisa!

Wow, I feel like we should all get in a circle and sing kumbaya!

The snarky old chowd has finally connected with the young Tampa Bay fan!

I never thought I would see the day.

Actually, having met both Dave and Lou, I think they would get along fine.

I was a teenager when the first Star Wars (Episode IV) came out.

I immediately associated it with Star Trek, which was only for nerds where I came from.

So, I didn't see it right away.

I eventually did see it, and thought it was kind of boring and confusing.

I thought I had seen the next two that came out, but now that I have watched them, I have come to find out that I never did see Episodes V and VI before.

Now I like Star Wars.

Kind of.

There are still way too many coincidences in the plot for me to buy in to the story. If I let that go, then it's not too bad.

TCD

We thought about the 3 day pass, but we have one trip to the fort at the end of march and we will be christening our sea world season passes. The wife and kids like to have a good day of just fort festivities

I think Lou thinks i hate him. I think someties we don't see eye to eye, but like he says, and I agree, it's all in good fun. He has to be a great guy since I hear nothing but good things about him...lol and he's a Jedi

Blasphemy! ALL of the movies are great!

Well, except Ep. 1. I hate that damn Jar Jar. Meesa no likey him.

Dave, I couldn't agree more. I just watched episode 1 the other week and compared to the others, it's really poor. But it's Star Wars and everthing Star Wars is good (Except JAr Jar). You know in a few weeks I will spend the big bucks to see episode 1 in 3D on Imax and with D-box if all possible just because you have to

1. According to the internet we are both right. Imperial Walker and AT AT are the same but I thought the At-ats were the little ones.

2. Love Twin #2 hiding on Dinosaur ride... I will always look for it.

3. My husband refuses to watch Star Wars IV, V, VI with me. I can't not quote the movie.

4. Dave.. I have to disagree. the Duel of the Fates rocked out over that duel at the end of Episode II. I waited too many years to see Yoda fight and he was just a forting blur.

5. Go TWIN's for embracing the Force.

6. See I have a love of the Star Wars Expanded Universe (books).. talk about geeked out. Rebel Stand is one of those books... pretty advanced stuff.

7. Sorry about delay.. was doing laundry... again.

8. I'll stop now...

That's a tapir. No, I didn't have to look it up. I have no idea why that piece of information is stored in my head. There's a lot of stuff I should know and don't, but for some reason I know what that pig-thing is. A tapir.

I somehow feel dumber for knowing that...

Hate to poliitely disagree, but that isn't a Tapir. That animal is a Babirusa which is native to Indonesia. See the upward curling tusks? Tapirs don't have tusks. Interesting fact about them, if the tusks are not broken nor worn down, they will continue to grow and eventually pierce the animal's skull.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=indonesian%20pig%20like%20animals&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FNorth_Sulawesi_babirusa&ei=vHssT4bPDoKFtgf8xfn3Dw&usg=AFQjCNEIVEIutFoVXqdynzL4vUESqQAIaQ