Need your help with Dining Plan Juggling...

My sis and her family are planning on coming with us this Christmas and wanted to purchase 5 days of dining. We called and the CM said we will ALL have to purchase the dining plan for the ENTIRE stay....which is 10 full days...

That's $57 per person...per day!!!! $5700 for FOOD!!! ACK!!!

I need your expertise to plan some sit down meals that would be easier on our wallets....

I am not real up on the Dining Plan since I think it is a waste of money to start with, with that said, I forget if you are staying in a Room or a campsite so I will be generic.

If I were staying in a Campsite I would only register those that want to use the dining plan to start with, all you are going to lose is a room key and how many do you actually need. They are never checked for transportation and they're only use would be for the gates.

As for a Room, pretty much the same thing applies, they don't know if you have 2 or 5 in the room. If you are getting more than one site or room then book separately and book one with the diners and the out under the non-diners.

Much of this depends on your tickets. Are you doing a package stay, buying your tickets and room together or are you doing a "room only" reservation. Bob said you could do separate reservations for the diners and non-diners. You could also do 2 separate reservations for 5 days each.

I'm assuming that you are purchasing tickets with the room, so everyone would have to have a key card. If that's the case I would make separate reservations for the 2 time periods. If you are planning on the DDP, you might want to consider one person buying an annual pass. That would get you discounts on the room and allow you to purchase the dining plan without it being part of the package. I'd still do the separate reservations though!

OR are you asking about cheaper places to eat? Are you staying in the cabins or campsite? If you are planning to eat out a lot, the dining plan is a good deal. The only quick service at the Fort is at breakfast and supper at Trails to Go.

I'm not sure what options you are getting on your 10-day tix, but the difference between a 10-day PHP and an AP is right at 190 dollars or so I think. An AP also gets you some small discounts in some of the restaurants and the stores. PLUS, you could have to come to a "conference" in Orlando and sneak down by yourself and use your AP! :rofl3:

I'm not sure what options you are getting on your 10-day tix, but the difference between a 10-day PHP and an AP is right at 190 dollars or so I think. An AP also gets you some small discounts in some of the restaurants and the stores. PLUS, you could have to come to a "conference" in Orlando and sneak down by yourself and use your AP! :rofl3:

Hmmmm, I believe there may be a few conferences I'd need to attend... ;)

Bob - I agree that the DDP is a HUGE chunk of $$ that is never really recovered through food. Not only am I extremely frugal (ok CHEAP) when we go, but I really don't like being tied to where our next meal is. (Particularly during Christmas!) However, my sister and her DH want to treat our family to meals while there as a way to thank us for the "lodging" and travel expenses we have towing. Her plan was to buy a 5 day DDP and use it to take us out a few times while there. I explained to her that we could probably just book a couple of restaurants and go, but I think they wish to have everything paid for in advance and within a package they can wrap their minds around.

We also thought about having them stay as "extras", but wouldn't that mean no EMH for them?

Rita - So far, the only thing we have secured is our site. All under my name...10 of us... I mentioned TIW to my sister and thought about the AP option. Just trying to figure out how much that would save us in the long run.

For now, we're in a holding pattern until we figure it all out. (I mean we have over 300 days until we go, right?) That gives me plenty of time to pick my FF brains, check out menus, prices, and be financially creative.

Deb, I would not do the DDP. If she wants to pay for it ahead of time, what about picking your restaurants and getting an idea of the cost for the 10 of you and she could just buy a Disney GC to pay for meals? I would pick 5 TS, 5 QS and add about $40 per day for snacks. That would be the eqivalent of the DDP. And I would definately choose Le Cellier!

We also thought about having them stay as "extras", but wouldn't that mean no EMH for them?

If you add them as "guests" once you're already there, they can be issues KTTW cards, which they can use for EMH.

We did this in November. Our in-laws came to stay with us for 5 days towards the end of our trip and we registered them as our guests and got them cards.

Me, DW, and DD(7), and my DFinlaw went this past Christmas and what we did was book him, since he was in a different room, separately without the DDP. This worked out great for us. We always ate together and when it was time for the check I would hand them my key to the world and told them we where on the DDP. They never questioned us and put all 4 meals and the plan. It takes a little planning but it's a way for you to get the benefits of the DDP and still have freedom to pay for the less expensive restaurants with cash and not use a TS credit. I have figured out that unless your big eaters and you like to have most of your days dining planned out it's just not worth it especially if your planning at eating at your TT. But only you know if it's worth the cost fir your family. Just look at what each restaurant you want to go to cost compared to the DDP and you'll find your answer.

Have fun

OK, I think I've got this figured out. Stay with me...

$368.49
(one 10-Day Magic Your Way Ticket w/Park Hopper)

-$552.74
(cost of Annual Pass)

$184.25
(additional amount to purchase the annual pass with PHP)

+
$75.00
for TIW

$259.25
(total additional cost)

If we go out for just six meals (ten of us) during our trip (to places like Garden Grill, Tusker House, Biergarten, Kona Cafe), the cost would be apporixametly $1675.

Take 20% off of that....
and we'd be saving about $335!!!!

So, who's it gonna be that gets the AP???

...hmmmmmm... :jumpforjoy

Don't forget that you can try to get AP discounts on the sites! Call as soon as they announce the AP rates!

Will they discount during peak season? We are going for Christmas break...

All I know, when I do the math on the dining plan for my family I always end up looking like this.. ???

We enjoy eating at the campsite some, it's part of the fun, and as much as my guys eat, the only things that make sense are buffets. I think it's a great deal for the 3-9 group, but not so much for the adults. Also it takes a lot of planning to get the most bang for your buck, I'm more of a "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of girl.. :rofl2:

Oh and some tips on TiW...

20% off is food and beverages, including alcohol

Along those lines, you can use the TiW for adult beverages at most of the lounges around WDW, including the take out window at Crockett's Tavern. :)

18% gratuity will automatically be added to your bill (don't forget and double tip!)

Animal Kingdom is the only park where you can use TiW on counter service - I think it's because they have very few TS locations in the park

You can use TiW for up to 10 people, but it has to be billed altogeher (you can't get separate checks)

more details from AllEars...

Benefits:

-- Members receive a 20% discount on all food and beverage (including alcohol) for up to 10 people at participating table-service Disney restaurants. A charge of 18% gratuity will be added to all Tables in Wonderland table service transactions, regardless of party size. At Victoria & Albert's, a 20% gratuity will be added to all transactions, regardless of party size.

-- Discount applies to member's check only.

-- You cannot use multiple cards for one check. For example, if you have a party of 14, you cannot use two TIW cards, unless you split your group into two smaller parties, each with its own check. Then each smaller group could use one card for a TIW discount. For groups larger than 6 kindly speak with the manager once seated to see about using multiple cards.

-- Member must be present to receive discount. Occasionally you will be asked for photo id.

-- Card must be presented when ordering.

-- Complimentary parking for the purposes of dining:

Theme Park:
after 5 p.m. daily, show membership card at Guest Relations. Before 5 p.m., you'll have to pay parking at the toll booth, then after dining, present dining receipt and parking ticket at Guest Relations for a refund if you have been in the park less than three hours. NOTE: There are some holidays and blackout dates when you will have to pay for parking.

Walt Disney World Resorts -
when dining at a Walt Disney World resort, valet parking is complimentary. After dining, present a dining receipt and your membership card at the valet stand. Only valid for one car per membership card.

-- Exclusive invitations to special dining events.

WDW-DINE (407-939-3463) will book advance reservations.

Theme park admission is required when dining in Theme Park restaurants.

Participating restaurants are subject to change. Guests will be notified of any changes in future newsletters. See BELOW for a list of restaurants.

Certain restrictions apply during holidays and special events, please check with the restaurant when you make your reservation. Blackout dates include major holidays: Mother's Day, Easter, 4th of July, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day.

This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discount.

This discount cannot be combined with any other discount or package. This includes events such as Fantasmic Dinner Package, Epcot Food and Wine Festival Events, and Candlelight Dinner Packages.

MEMBERSHIP AND CARD INFORMATION: Call the office at (407) 566-5858, Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern, or visit their website: www.disneyworld.com/tablesinwonderlandFL or www.disneyworld.com/tablesinwonderlandPH

You can also visit Guest Relations at Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdrom, Disney's Hollywood Studios, or Downtown Disney to purchase a Tables in Wonderland card.

BY MAIL: Post Office Box 10000, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

NOTE: Allow several weeks for processing. Guests planning vacations in the next month should not order by phone but should plan to purchase their card once they arrive at Walt Disney World.

Tables in Wonderland was formerly known as Disney Dining Experience -- the name changed September 15, 2008.

Printer Friendly Version Of Chart

Participating Restaurants and Lounges as of March 2011: All-Star Movies Resort

World Premiere Food Court

All-Star Music Resort

Intermission Food Court

All-Star Sports Resort

End Zone Food Court

Animal Kingdom Lodge

Boma-Flavors of Africa

Jiko-The Cooking Place

Sanaa

Victoria Falls

Beach Club Resort

Beaches & Cream Soda Shop (eat-in only)

Cape May Cafe

Martha's Vineyard Lounge

BoardWalk

Belle Vue Lounge

Big River Grille and Brewing Works

ESPN Club

Flying Fish Cafe

Kouzzina by Cat Cora

Osprey Ridge Golf Club

Sand trap Bar & Grill

Caribbean Beach Resort

Shutters at Old Port Royale

Contemporary Resort

California Grill

Chef Mickey's

Outer Rim Lounge

The Wave

Coronado Springs Resort

Maya Grill

Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground

Crockett's Tavern

Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue (9:30 p.m. show only, offered seasonally)

trail's End Restaurant (Excludes take-out)

Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

1900 Park Fare

Cítricos

Garden View Lounge

Grand Floridian Cafe

Mizner's Lounge

Narcoossee's

Victoria & Albert's (excluding Chef's Table and Queen Victoria Room)

Old Key West Resort

Olivia's Cafe

Polynesian Resort

'Ohana

Kona Cafe

Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show (late show only)

Tambu Lounge

Pop Century Resort

Everything Pop Dining (excluding merchandise) Port Orleans Resort

Riverside:

Boatwright's Dining Hall

River Roost

French Quarter:

Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory

Scat Cat's Club

Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa

Artist's Palette

The Turf Club Bar and Grill

The Turf Club Lounge Wilderness Lodge

Artist Point

Territory Lounge

Whispering Canyon Cafe

Yacht Club Resort

Ale and Compass Lounge

Captain's Grille

Crew's Cup Lounge

Yachtsman Steakhouse

DOWNTOWN DISNEY Marketplace

Cap'n Jack's Restaurant

Fulton's Crab House

DOWNTOWN DISNEY Pleasure Island

Paradiso 37

Portobello

Raglan Road

DOWNTOWN DISNEY West Side

Bongo's Cuban Cafe

House of Blues (excludes Sunday brunch)

Planet Hollywood

Wolfgang Puck Cafe

Epcot

Akershus Royal Banquet Hall

Biergarten Restaurant

Bistro de Paris Restaurant

Chefs de France Restaurant

Coral Reef Restaurant

Garden Grill Restaurant

La Hacienda new.gif

Le Cellier Steakhouse

Nine Dragons Restaurant

Restaurant Marrakesh

Rose & Crown Pub & Dining Room

San Angel Inn Restaurante

Tokyo Dining

Tutto Italia Ristorante

Via Napoli

Disney's Hollywood Studios

50's Prime Time Cafe

Hollywood & Vine

Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano

Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant

The Hollywood Brown Derby

Tune-In Lounge

Magic Kingdom

Cinderella's Royal Table

Liberty tree Tavern

The Crystal Palace

The Plaza Restaurant

Tony's Town Square Restaurant

Animal Kingdom

Flame tree Barbecue

Pizzafari

Restaurantosaurus

Tusker House Restaurant

Disney's Vero Beach Resort

The Green Cabin Room

Shutters Restaurant

Sonya's Fine Steaks & Chops (Sunday Brunch not included)

Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort

Il Mulino New York trattoria

Garden Grove

Kimonos

Shula's Steak House

Todd English's bluezoo ESPN Wide World of Sports

ESPN Wide World of Sports Grill

<a href="http://allears.net/din/dde.htm">http://allears.net/din/dde.htm

If you add them as "guests" once you're already there, they can be issues KTTW cards, which they can use for EMH.

We did this in November. Our in-laws came to stay with us for 5 days towards the end of our trip and we registered them as our guests and got them cards.

Note: This only works if people don't lose their cards 5 minutes after they get them. Twice. :rofl2:

Talked to my sister tonight and it looks like we're going to go for the AP + TiW option. :thumbsup3: Is it bad of me to ask if I could be the one with the AP? I mean, I AM the nutty-Disney-nut in my family, right? ::)

TurkeyPants & Mo, your pooches are adorable! We have (what we think) is a border-jack rescue...looks like these guys. :heart: