Ghirardelli Soda Fountain - Downtown Disney

From the Disney Food blog...

Review: Ghirardelli Soda Fountain

Mar 27th, 2012 by AJ.

There are lots of great spots to grab dessert in Orlando’s Downtown Disney, but a favorite of many of our readers is Ghirardelli Chocolate Shoppe and Soda Fountain.

This chocolate-lovers’ heaven has both a chocolate store and an ice cream and soda fountain, so it’s the perfect spot to grab a sweet treat.

We’ve written about Ghirardelli before, but when we stopped in to have a couple of our own custom creations, I knew I wanted to tell you about those as well!

October-1st-and-2nd-254.JPG

Ghirardelli Soda Fountain Downtown Disney, Orlando

Atmosphere

The first thing to know is that the store and ice cream shop are separate. If you’re in the wrong one, go outside and head next door. icon_smile.gif Once you get into the ice cream shop, you’re greeted with a soda fountain and an ordering area.

October-1st-and-2nd-247.JPG

Soda Fountain

October-1st-and-2nd-250.JPG

Soda Fountain

Once you check out the amazing menus (see below), you’ll put in your order, take a number, and go find a seat! Speaking of, the seating area is adorned with this cool San Fran mural!

ghirardelli-mural-500x213.jpg

Ghirardelli Mural

Eats

Ice Cream is the name of the game here, though they do have other treats to sample (coffee drinks, brownies, etc.). Just take a gander at these amazing menus!!

October-1st-and-2nd-252-225x300.jpg

Menu -- Click and Enlarge to see larger version

October-1st-and-2nd-253-225x300.jpg

Menu -- Click and Enlarge for larger version

My favorite part, as you may know, are is the varied options for cones, hot fudge, and more!

October-1st-and-2nd-248.JPG

Cone and Chocolate Choices

But, as I mentioned previously, we decided to create our own custom sundaes on this visit!! We started with a simple butterscotch sundae — isn’t it gorgeous? In this monster, vanilla ice cream was topped with rich, thick butterscotch, whipped cream, and a cherry. Awesome!

ghirardelli-butterscotch-sundae-350x525.jpg

Butterscotch Sundae at Ghirardelli

And of course, my love for peanut butter meant we had to also get a sundae drowned in the stuff! We chose a chocolate dipped cone bowl, and included hot fudge as well. This is pretty much the Gold Rush Sundae in a waffle bowl, so feel free to order that if you think this looks great!

That chocolate square? It’s a Ghirardelli peanut butter chocolate piece! icon_smile.gif

ghirardelli-peanutbutter-hot-fudge-sundae-in-a-chocoalte-waffle-bowl-500x425.jpg

Peanut Butter Hot Fudge Sundae in a Chocolate Waffle Bowl

And don’t forget, if you’re on the West Coast, visitors to Disney California Adventure can soon enjoy their favorite ice cream creations at the new Ghirardelli factory opening soon!

Overall

If you can take the super-sweetness, Ghirardelli is one of the best places to stop for dessert in Downtown Disney!

This spot does get crowded though, especially during the late afternoon and evening. If you want to guarantee yourself a seat, head over when the shop first opens earlier in the day!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/03/27/review-ghirardelli-soda-fountain/