Landscape of Flavors at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

From the Disney Parks Blog...

Tandoor Ovens, Mongolian Grill, and Real Gelato at Landscape of Flavors at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

posted on April 9th, 2012 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

We got a chance to talk with Michelle Clegg, food & beverage operations manager for the soon-to-open Landscape of Flavors food court at the new Disney’s Art of Animation Resort that debuts next month at Walt Disney World Resort.

lof398467THUMB.jpg lof589432THUMB.jpg lof834067THUMB.jpg

They’re still tweaking the menu, but all sorts of creative new items make this the next generation of Disney food courts. Even burgers are “create your own”; you can start with a beef, chicken or veggie burger, and then the kitchen will pile on your favorite toppings (say, pepperjack cheese, pickles, tomatoes, onions and lettuce). But most fun are the four onstage tandoor ovens where chefs will bake bread and roast chicken, shrimp, sausage and acorn squash and other veggies – Michelle says that the roasted acorn squash is her favorite dish at the new restaurant. Tandoors are cylindrical ovens that reach very high temperatures and quickly bake, so it should be a grand onstage show for diners. The real treat is naan, a delicious Indian bread that’s slapped directly onto the oven’s walls and left to bake until puffy and lightly browned, perfect for wrapping all sorts of delicious food.

lof309857SMALL.jpg

And the restaurant’s Mongolian grill is another new touch – 3 feet in diameter, the chefs will make everything onstage, from challah bread French toast for breakfast to grilled beef and fish for lunch and dinner.

lof340896THUMB.jpg lof846097THUMB.jpg lof806548THUMB.jpg lof509874THUMB.jpg lof329590THUMB.jpg

There’s lot of attention on “better-for-you” options, so you’ll find buckwheat waffles and pasta, multigrain rice, low-fat smoothies, egg white frittatas and make-your-own yogurt parfaits. But it’s all about choices, so there are still pizzas and fries (and chocolate chip pancakes).

lof023446SMALL.jpg

And we’re excited to see real gelato on the menu, the Italian version of ice cream with less butterfat but bigger flavor. That and a whole menu of coffee drinks, including iced French vanilla, iced mocha, cappuccino, espresso and mochachino. We’ll carpool to the new resort for our 3 p.m. break!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/tandoor-ovens-mongolian-grill-real-gelato-at-landscape-of-flavors-at-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/

• 3 weeks later...

From the Disney Food Blog...

Art of Animation Food Court and Menu

Apr 30th, 2012 by AJ.

We got a peek at the Art of Animation food court this weekend! It’s lovely, and I can’t wait to actually eat there!

Art-of-Animation-2-600x443.jpg

Art-of-Animation-600x400.jpg

Art Of Animation Entrance

Atmosphere

The food court is broken into several seating areas or “dining rooms” representing sections of the resort — Lion King, Cars, Finding Nemo, and Little Mermaid.

Each dining room has concept art drawings and themes from the films decorating the walls and ceiling.

Lion-King-Dining-Room-600x400.jpg

Lion King Dining Room

And each dining area has a light fixture themed to the film as well. In the Lion King room, you’ll see a giant tree growing around the light fixture.

light-in-lion-king-dining-area-600x400.jpg

Light in Lion King Dining Area

Seating-in-the-Cars-Land-Dining-Room-600x400.jpg

Seating in the Cars Land Dining Room

In the Cars Land dining room, you’ll see the bright blue sky of Carburetor County above you…punctuated by tire tracks in the clouds, of course!

Light-in-Cars-Land-dining-area-600x400.jpg

Light in Cars Land Dining Area

The light fixture in the Little Mermaid dining room depicts both of Ariel’s Worlds — above water and below water! You’ll see her underwater Treasure Trove on the bottom, and the waves and rocks of the above-water world at the top!

Little-Mermaid-Dining-Area-600x400.jpg

Little Mermaid Dining Area

The check-out is very similar to Pop Century’s and other value resort food courts.

Check-Out-600x400.jpg

Check Out

Eats

Here’s what we got to see was on the menu! When I was there, the Smoothies and Desserts section was to my immediate left.

I LOVE the addition of the mini cupcakes here! So fun!

Smoothies-600x294.jpg

Smoothies - click image for larger version

Desserts1-600x429.jpg

Desserts - click image for larger version

Burgers look great — who’s gonna try that pastrami cheeseburger with me?!?

Burgers-1-600x447.jpg

Burgers - click image for larger version

Burgers-2-600x366.jpg

Burgers - click image for larger version

The Pizza pod menu is pretty standard for Disney food courts, but the cheesy pesto bread is new!

Pizza-Area-600x420.jpg

Pizza Area - click image for larger version

The make-your-own salad on the Kids’ Picks menu is pretty cool!

Menu3-600x407.jpg

Menu - click image for larger version

And while they only had one side of this pod menu working, I really like seeing the Mongolian Grilled meats and stir fry options. Very cool!

Menu-22-600x316.jpg

Menu - click image for larger version

For those who love Mello Yello — here ya go!

Coke-Machine-600x466.jpg

Coke Machine

I can’t wait to dine here on my next visit to Disney World! I’ll also have a walk-through video coming up soon!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/04/30/art-of-animation-food-court-and-menu/#more-54623

Interesting menu, but I bet that place will be like a zoo at meal times. I've never been to one of the value resorts, but it looks like the food courts are huge! Then again, maybe the size helps spread out the people...as Captain Cooks gets very cramped at busy times. It could stand to be quite a bit larger.

• 2 weeks later...

This is all interesting to me. I was reading the menu and was about to post "We'll see how long this menu lasts. Tourists at WDW aren't going to eat that." Why do I think that? Because I WOULD eat it. If I like it, usually it's gone. Then all of you say "I can eat my weight in naan", etc. Either I'm wrong that they'll dumb down the menu or we all have the same tastes and better get there quick before they do. hahaha.

I'm shooting for get there quick before it disappears!

Interestingly though, Disney's been adding a bunch of new and different stuff lately. MK has quite a few new QS and snack items that go beyond the usual pretzels/turkey legs/burgers/hot dogs.

Let's hope it sticks, cause there's only so many Pecos Bill's burgers you can eat.

I agree. I'm sure I'll be there when y'all are in November (and this time will definitely say hello and offer up something frosty from my bar). If you ever need an excuse to go eat somewhere, just let me know.

I've noticed some variety coming back as well. Some good, some not as good. The waffle sandwich I highly approve of. The taco salad... not so much.

• 4 weeks later...

From the Disney Food Blog. Follow the link at the end for LOTS more photos and info...

Food Photo Tour: Art of Animation Resort Landscape of Flavors Food Court

Jun 4th, 2012 by Erin.

Life is a highway, and my pit stop this past weekend was Walt Disney World’s brand new Art of Animation Resort in Walt Disney World.

AoA is a value level resort, and like other WDW value hotels the main source of on-site nourishment is a food court, here called Landscape of Flavors.

I gathered dozens (hundreds?) of food photos to share, so you’ll be able to take a look at breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert as well as pre-packaged goodies in the photo tour below!

Some of the elements of Landscape of Flavors will be familiar to those who have been to other Disney hotel food courts. There are multiple lines to order different types of food. There are self-serve soda and condiment stations past the registers, toasters for guest use, and a mug wash sink for rinsing your refillable mugs.

And the sides of the service area are lined with refrigerator cases of beverages and a limited selection of prepared items.

As for the actual food, Disney has tried to step it up a notch, offering fresher and more customizable options than in the other resorts. But before I get to that, here’s a tour so you can get the lay of the Landscape.

Overview Photos

IMG_5703-001-600x400.jpg

Registers and Food Ordering

Refrigerator Cases and Packaged Food Areas

Again, the main refrigerator cases will seem familiar to those who have stayed at value resorts in the past. These include a variety of soft drinks, milk, juices, beers, wine, bottled cocktails, cut fruit, and small selection of chilled takeaway items.

IMG_5685-001-600x400.jpg

Pre-made sushi in the refrigerator case.

Along with the standard Bud, there were some more interesting beer choices available. And even bottled hard cider. Yum!

IMG_5941-001-600x400.jpg

More refrigerated alcohol options.

Have a hankering for a late-night indulgence? Try the four-pack of mini-cheesecakes or a Macaroon Cupcake!

IMG_5732-600x400.jpg

Four-pack of mini-cheesecakes. Key lime, raspberry, brownie bottom, and plain.

Or go healthy with veggies or yogurt.

One interesting item in the refrigerator was a full case of water bottles, for about $16. This is more expensive than the supermarket, but a good option over constantly paying for individual bottles at the resort or in the parks.

And remember, you can use your Tables in Wonderland card here to get an extra discount!

Landscape of Flavors Breakfast

Breakfast is offered from 6:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. I happened to eat one day at exactly 11:00 and there was a small bit of confusion about whether we could order breakfast or lunch.

My favorite breakfast station allowed guests to create their own yogurt parfait or blend of cereals. There didn’t seem to be any limit to the number of choices you could make; they’d let you try as many things as you wanted, as long as they fit in the bowl.

This station also featured the famous Disney waffles!

IMG_5991-001-600x400.jpg

Waffle/yogurt/cereal station menu.

There were very friendly cast members at the make-your-own cereal and yogurt bar, and you’ll find lots of fresh and dried fruit mix-ins.

My yogurt parfait had granola, strawberries, mango, and pistachios.

IMG_6014-416x625.jpg

My yogurt parfait. With granola, strawberries, mango, and pistachios.

Another station has French toast, a vegetarian breakfast sandwich, and a “World Flavors” egg platter.

IMG_6000-001-600x400.jpg

World flavors breakfast menu.

I opted for the eggs. At first I was a little dismayed by the potatoes, which appeared to be charred, not just flavored. However, they didn’t taste burnt at all, just a hint spicy.

Here, and everywhere throughout the Landscape of Flavors, any time that bacon is offered you have a choice of regular or turkey bacon. I tried both at various points. I found the turkey bacon to be almost Canadian bacon in texture. Good, but not decadent like you want on vacation.

The next breakfast station offered primarily variations on pancakes, along with a breakfast chicken sandwich and a “steak” and egg sandwich.

IMG_6003-001-600x400.jpg

Breakfast burger and pancake station menu.

The steak and egg sandwich was really a burger topped with an egg. I didn’t try that item, but spoke to someone who did and really enjoyed it.

I apologize that I didn’t get a shot of the omelet add-in list. It was fairly standard, with several kinds of cheese, veggies, and meats.

IMG_7014-001-600x400.jpg

Omelet station menu.

Lunch and Dinner

At lunch and dinner, there are four main food order stations: salads and cold sandwiches, Tandoori and Mongolian foods, Italian foods, and burgers and hot sandwiches.

Over the course of four days, I sampled many of the items and spoke to guests who had ordered many others.

Salads and Cold Sandwiches

IMG_5180-001-600x400.jpg

Salad and cold sandwich menu.

IMG_5915-001-600x400.jpg

Caprese sandwich.

Tandoori/Mongolian Station

IMG_5181-001-600x400.jpg

Tandoori/Mongolian Menu, part 1

IMG_5182-001-600x400.jpg

Tandoori/Mongolian menu, part 2

The Tandoori/Mongolian area is more exotic than what you’ll find at many food courts. I think it’s a great addition. Here’s some Tandoori Portuguese sausage with pickled veggies, roasted butternut squash, wild rice, and naan bread.

IMG_5210-001-600x400.jpg

Tandoori Portuguese sausage. With pickled veggies, roasted butternut squash, wild rice, and naan bread.

IMG_6633-001-600x400.jpg

Tandoori shrimp, cauliflower, paneer cheese, and naan.

Italian Station

IMG_5183-600x400.jpg

Italian menu, part 1

IMG_5184-001-600x400.jpg

Italian menu, part 2

The Make-Your-Own-Pasta area is sure to be a hit. I chose shrimp, peas, and olives.

IMG_5917-001-416x625.jpg

Pasta customization options.

Hot Sandwiches

IMG_5185-001-600x400.jpg

Hot sandwich menu, part 1

IMG_5186-001-600x400.jpg

Hot sandwich menu, part 2

IMG_5191-001-416x625.jpg

Toppings to customize your burger.

The burger options are extensive here. The Surf and Turf Burger with popcorn shrimp on top of a crab cake looked great.

IMG_5727-001-600x400.jpg

The "surf and surf" burger. Popcorn shrimp on top of a crabcake.

Check out this pastrami burger!

IMG_7575-001-600x400.jpg

Pastrami burger with fries.

A Note About Food Order Customization…and Waiting

Overall, I was quite impressed. The flavors were bold, the ingredients were fresh, and many items were cooked to order right in front of you. The amount of customization available was staggering, truly a bold step forward for Disney.

I applaud this innovation. Big standing O! However, because the food is customized by the guest and cooked on the spot, there was more than a little waiting around. I’d say that I easily spent 4-5 minutes every time I ordered food, waiting for it to be cooked.

This was not a huge issue for me, a lone adult, not in a hurry. But I fear that when the entire resort is open (I was there for the first phase, with only 1/4 of the guest rooms open) or if I had to wait in multiple lines for multiple family members, it will become common for it to take upwards of 20 minutes just for a family to get its food.

On two occasions, I saw women order food at one line, then instead of waiting there, they moved to another line to start a different type of order for another family member. Both times, the cast members at the first station became flustered, not knowing what to do with the order of the non-present guest (who was there, but not right there). The cast had clearly been told not to keep the food under a heat lamp or leave it on the counter, which is wonderful in theory, but seemed to be confusing in practice.

My advice is that if you order at one station and then move on to order at another, be VERY clear with the first station that you will be back in a minute and that they should just hold your food for you.

All Day Stations

All day long, you can get customize-your-own smoothies, fancy coffee drinks, and hand-scooped gelato.

IMG_5701-001-416x625.jpg

IMG_5995-001-600x400.jpg

Gelato!

Bakery Case

The bakery case is open all day and contains most of the standard Disney food court bakery case items: muffins, danish, cookies, etc.

The most notable item in the case was a small four-pack of vegan, gluten-free cupcakes from BabyCakes. This is the first WDW resort that regularly carries a BabyCakes item on site. This is a HUGE bonus for families with children with allergies.

There was also a cute four-pack of regular mini-cupcakes.

IMG_5692-001-600x400.jpg

Cute four-pack of mini-cupcakes in the bakery case.

Other Notable Items

Here are a few tidbits that didn’t seem to fit anywhere else, but you still need to know about! icon_wink.gif

Real Tableware

The staff at Landscape of Flavors seemed very proud that they are the first Disney World food court to have real, non-disposable plates and silverware.

This was a nice touch while eating and certainly gave a more upscale feel to the meal. However, the “realness” of the service made it more challenging to clean up after your meal. You have to do a lot of scraping of plates and sorting of silverware before you can leave.

Of course this is more environmentally friendly than the endless stream of plastic forks and knives, but it does make more work for the guest.

IMG_5233-001-600x400.jpg

Soda options. Including Mello Yellow!

Lack of Microwaveable Food?

I was a bit surprised that for a resort in which three quarters of the guests DO have microwaves in their rooms, the only real microwaveable item sold at the food court was popcorn; and this was quite well hidden on the bottom shelf of a snack display.

If you’re looking for more substantial microwave food at Walt Disney World, head on over to one of the Disney Vacation Club resorts that have mini-marts in their gift shops.

IMG_5972-001-600x400.jpg

Long operating hours.

Overall

My first impression of Landscape of Flavors is that this is a great addition to the Walt Disney World restaurant family. Many of the offerings are unique and relatively inexpensive. There may be growing pains as each wave of the resort opens, but I’m sure they’ll get that all worked out by Christmas.

In addition to attracting AoA guests, I suspect that this venue will also become popular with Pop Century Resort guests. I took a walk across the Generation Gap bridge from the Pop to AoA very easily. Depending on where your room is at the Pop, the AoA food court may actually be as close as the Pop food court. More options!

Oh, and about that “Life is a Highway” sentence at the top … The music at Landscape of Flavors is themed to the movies represented at the resort. It’s all fun, catchy stuff, but the playlist is veeery short. Over the course of four days, I heard “Life is a Highway” easily 40 or 50 times. It’s now an earworm that cannot be killed. icon_smile.gif

So future AoA guests, what more do you want to know? Ask me your questions in the comments below and I’ll try to help.

Erin Foster is the Disney Food for Families columnist and a behind-the-scenes guru here at Disney Food Blog! Check out more of her posts here.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/06/04/food-photo-tour-art-of-animation-resort-landscape-of-flavors-food-court/