Question for those who have made their own t-shirts using iron-ons

I want to make t-shirts for my dh's new business, Organic Lawncare. He says iron-ons won't work because you will have ink over the entire 8.5"x11" area of the iron-on and that would be too hot for doing lawncare in this SC heat and humidity.

Is that the case?

Here's some things I learned after experimenting and making t-shirts for my Aiden... ^-^

Inkjet transfers for dark shirts are a thin plastic like material and they do not breath very well. Transfers for light colors have a tendency to "crack" easily. Sometimes the ink colors on the transfers get blotchy or run if they get seriously wet and are not dried immediately or come in contact with sweat. (To stop this from happening, after you finish making the shirt you're supposed to machine wash them using 1 cup of white vinegar in the water.) The transfers are not cheap. I got the best deal at Michael's with a 50% off coupon. Designs need to be printed out on the highest quality setting which uses a lot of ink and ink can get expensive. After making this last bunch of shirts, I seriously wished for one of those hot pressing machines for transferring the design to the t-shirt. My arm got real tired using a home iron because you and need to use so much pressure. If you don't use enough pressure and the transfer doesn't bond properly to the shirt it will peel off and/or crack.

I agree that putting the transfer on the pocket would be a good idea. For the cost of the materials, and a quality t-shirt (since your DH would be putting the shirts to some serious use every day) maybe you want to look into the cost of having the pocket embroidered (ask Jen) or have the design silk screened onto the shirt (maybe the back?)

Karla -

Thank you! This is just the type of inside info I needed. He wanted to get them made at Embroider Me on Wade Hampton Blvd. and I thought it was too exensive. After reading this, I think they sound cheap! Thanks for making up my mind for me!

If you are going to have something that lasts, you will want to use vinyl lettering for this type of use. Embroidering the logos for lawn work does two things: 1) it is heavy in one spot and will bunch and fold after washings on a tshirt because you will wash it A LOT. 2) eventually, whatever backing they use will wash out, leaving the exposed embroidered back on the persons' sweaty skins, causing irritation. Because these shirts are going to be high use and high sweat content, I would suggest you use a different method. If you use the screen printing method, they are going to charge you a set up fee, screen fee and most likely a minimum amount of shirts. If you go the vinyl work, you will need to find someone who will do them without a minimum. The vinyl will stretch and breath like you want it to and it can be repaired if for some reason it starts to come off. (usually with a application paper and a hot iron) Even using the light color retail transfers will not help you in this situation because they will not breathe through. Before you go and get someone to do your shirts, make sure you go over all the parameters of the use and wear and tear of the shirts so you don't get taken to the cleaners.

My public service announcement has ended. Yall may go on now.