Disney Settles Class Action Lawsuit for Visually Impaired

If you plan from the beginning to make your website accessible, you only need one website (frequently, if there is a separate text based website it is rarely updated). That would do away with a lot of the pizazz on your website, so you might want to have that separate website ... but you would have to make sure it is updated at the same time as the fancy site.

That's the kicker right there. With our web customers and even my freelance clients, they already have websites in place and starting from scratch is a huge deal in terms of resources, expense and timing.

Trying to make an existing site compliant that may already have web applications, functionality and other noncompliant interactivity in place, is usually even more costly than starting from scratch - which generally puts both options out of their budgets.

We're currently working on a website overhaul for the state chapter of a large, national nonprofit. They are very well funded (not by tax payer dollars) and insisted that because the bulk of their clientele is older, the site absolutely had to be 100% compliant to ensure that EVERYONE could access ALL parts of the site.

Well... enter marketing company who explains to them what it will take to get their site well ranked and found online, engage their customers, yada yada yada... and then enter us - who tells them what it will take in terms of development (read "cost") to make that happen...

Bottom line is that the site will not be compliant. The only accommodation they approved was to put style sheets in place to allow the viewer to select from one of 3 point sizes for the body copy - i.e., so they can make the text a lot larger and easier to read with just the click of a mouse.

However, because the marketing company dictated the look and feel of the site (which required key elements to be embedded in graphics) this will only apply to the body copy on the site, not headers, call outs, navigation, forms, etc.

And that's typically how it goes with the companies I see. They all have good intentions when it comes to making their sites as accessible as possible, but unless they truly are starting from scratch (which unless you're a startup, generally isn't the case) then the vast majority of the time the budget does not allow for making it happen. In fact, since I've had website clients start asking about ADA compliance (maybe 5-6 years now), not one of them has ever approved a proposal that included it.

Of course, the simplest method ... do as Rita suggested - give the visually handicapped a toll free number to call.

Yup! And sometimes the simplest answer is the best, most achievable one. :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The last time I was at Disney, it seemed that the largest group being discriminated against was the Terminally Stupid. Disney does not do nearly enough to make all attractions accessible to them. I

A gold Snark star for Nicki.

Ed, I would love for you to explain to me how Disney could create an online reservation system without any server side code... There most certainly are times when a simple web page just won't cut it

Ed, I would love for you to explain to me how Disney could create an online reservation system without any server side code... There most certainly are times when a simple web page just won't cut it, and this is one of them.

I admire your tenacity, but I think that the web world has changed much more than you know since you last dipped your toes in the pool.

Client side scripts have more potential for compatibility issues than server side scripting.

Generally speaking, client-side scripting means that some relatively simple code, which is embedded into an HTML document or referred to in it, is executed by the user's browser (e.g., IE, Netscape, Opera, or Firefox). Currently the most popular client-side scripting language is JavaScript. JavaScript can be used to populate the form's entries (such as a list or menu), verify the user's input, and submit or redisplay the information in the desired format, requiring users to have a certain configuration (i.e. a JavaScript enabled browser) presents several barriers to accessibility:

1. Some assistive technology disables JavaScript automatically when browsing the web.
  2. Many users disable JavaScript to avoid ads, pop-up windows, and nefarious programs. In particular, certain IT networks disable scripting to prevent hacker attacks and other security issues.
  3. It may be difficult, even for experienced browsers, to turn JavaScript support back on if it has been disabled. This is especially true for IE users.
  4. JavaScript processing can cause lengthy delays or even crash the user's system, depending on how much memory and processor work is required.

As a general rule of thumb, forms processed and submitted via server-side processing (for example, using ColdFusion or PHP scripting) are the most accessible type of forms. This is because, in most cases, users are not required to have any special software other than a browser capable of displaying the form. Since all processing happens on the server-side, the user's operating system, browser version, or firewall connection has minimal effect on the functionality of the form.

I am pretty sure Lou was the bus driver who threw me off his bus last year. Said something about my loincloth not meeting the requirements for appropriate attire.

I am pretty sure Lou was the bus driver who threw me off his bus last year. Said something about my loincloth not meeting the requirements for appropriate attire.

That was you?

I'm assuming security caught up with you.

That's one subdue and hold situation that I'd want no part of.