Tables in Wonderland: June 2012 Special Events

From the Disney Food blog. I wish they did these when we were there. I know it's pricey, but this sounds really cool!

Tables in Wonderland June Event: Great Movie Ride Dinner at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

May 4th, 2012 by Kim.

Tables in Wonderland has announced a spectacular event for June!

The Great Movie Ride Dinner at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Date: Friday June 15 and Saturday June 16, 2012 8:00 – 10:30pm

Cost: $165.00 per person, plus tax. Gratuity is included.

When you arrive Disney’s Hollywood Studios, walk to the Majestic Graumann’s Chinese Theatre courtyard. From there, you’ll be invited to inside The Great Movie Ride attraction with exclusive backstage VIP access!

Imagine getting to walk through and dine inside the attraction experiencing the sets from Busby Berkeley musicals, crime dramas, old-fashioned Westerns, and more!

TheGreatMovieRideJune15and16-600x463.jpg

The Great Movie Ride Dinner - click image for larger version

Passed Reception in the Gangster Scene – 8:00 – 8:30 p.m.

“Squid and Beans” Salad

“Gambino” Balsamic Beef with Palermo Roasted Tomato

“Terranova” Blistered Artichoke Cheese Quenelle

Plated Dinner in the Western Scene – 8:30 – 10 p.m.

Creamy Free Range Yard Bird Corn Chowder with Piquillo Peppers and Ciabatta Bread

Wild Greens and Herbs with Cactus Cilantro Vinaigrette with Beet Tumbleweeds with Mandarin Rice Wine Marinade

Poblano Barbeque Braised Beef Short Rib with Tobacco Onions

Smoky Cheddar Potatoes Gratin

Black Skillet Roasted Baby Green Beans with Mushrooms

House-made Fire Roasted Corn Bread with Butter

Dessert Buffet in the Land of Oz – 10:00 – 10:30 p.m.

Wicked Witch Pistachio Cannoli

Emerald Cheesecake Pushups

Ruby Strawberry Panna Cotta

Dark Forest Chocolate Decadence with Raspberry Gel

Yellow Brick Caramel Milk Cake

Auntie Em’s Apple Cake

Beer, Wine, Specialty Beverages

For reservations, e-mail [email protected] with the following information: your interest to book, your name, daytime phone number, home address, and the number of people in your party. Indicate which event date you are requesting, June 15 or June 16. You will be notified on a “first-come, first-served” basis. Your credit card will be taken over the phone once your reservation is confirmed. It may take up to 2 weeks to receive a reply; please send only ONE email. The event is limited to 80 Guests per event date. This event is exclusive to Tables in Wonderland members.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/05/04/tables-in-wonderland-june-event-great-movie-ride-dinner-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

• 1 month later...

From the Disney Food blog...

Guest Review: Tables in Wonderland Great Movie Ride Dinner

Jun 24th, 2012 by AJ.

Welcome guest author Jamie with a once-in-a-blue-moon review of The Great Movie Ride dinner event offered by Tables in Wonderland in Walt Disney World. PLEASE NOTE: This dinner is offered RARELY and cannot be booked through Disney Dining.

Who doesn’t like to go see a good movie? But what makes it even better? How about dinner and a movie! But not just any dinner, a four course dinner while you’re actually IN the movie!

On June 16, 2012, my wife and I had the pleasure of attending a Tables in Wonderland event at The Great Movie Ride in Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Walt Disney World.

Entrance to The Great Movie Ride in Hollywood Studios.

Atmosphere

Once we checked in and got our wristbands, we were able to walk around outside and look at all of the famous hand prints that decorated the pavement in front of the main entrance. You might recognize this one!

Suddenly, a dapper looking figure comes bursting out of the main entrance. It was none other than Alberto Dante, the “famous” movie director himself. He proceeded to tell a few jokes and really got the crowd excited to see what the night had in store. I was extremely honored when he gave me one of his business cards.

TGMR-3-Alberto-Dante-468x625.jpg

Alberto Dante

TGMR-4-Alberto-Dante-Card-600x369.jpg

Alberto Dante's Business Card

After about 10 minutes, we followed Alberto through the front doors.

Once we were inside, we were led to where the attraction begins. Through his megaphone, Alberto said to follow him, as he led us down to the main floor. We were now walking on the track that The Great Movie Ride car travels down, in search of our first stop of the night — the Gangster scene.

Drinks and Hors d’Oeuvres in the Gangster Scene

Once we arrived at the Gangster scene, James Cagney was there watching over these colorful martini glasses filled with the evening’s frozen house concoction, along with our table assignments.

TGMR-9-Martini-Glasses-600x450.jpg

Martini glasses filled with the frozen house concoction.

TGMR-10-Our-Name-Card-600x370.jpg

Our table assignment… the outlaw Jesse James.

There was also an open bar. Angel, the bartender, kept the drinks flowing all night long.

TGMR-11-Angel-the-Bartender-600x408.jpg

Angel the Bartender

There were several hors d’oeuvres that we were able to try while we waited on the main course to be set up in the Western scene: “Gambino” Balsamic Beef with Palermo Roasted Tomato, “Terranova” Blistered Artichoke Cheese Quenelle, and “Squid and Beans” Salad.

TGMR-12-Gambino-600x450.jpg

“Gambino” Balsamic Beef with Palermo Roasted Tomato

TGMR-13-Terranova-600x450.jpg

“Terranova” Blistered Artichoke Cheese Quenelle

TGMR-14-Squid-and-Beans-600x356.jpg

“Squid and Beans” Salad

Once we got our fill of hors d’oeuvres and the drink(s) of our choice, Alberto raised his megaphone and asked us if we were ready for dinner. Everyone erupted in a loud YES. So he said to follow him. We were off to dinner in the Western scene.

Dinner in the Western Scene

Upon arrival, we were met by Clint Eastwood on the right and John Wayne on the left. We were lucky, our Jesse James table was right in between both icons of the big screen. There was seating for ten people at each of the tables.

TGMR-17-Menu-415x625.jpg

The evening’s menu.

What dinner would be complete without a little Mickey Mouse butter for the House-made Fire Roasted Corn Bread?

TGMR-18-Mickey-Butter-600x431.jpg

Mickey Mouse butter.

TGMR-19-Corn-Bread-600x435.jpg

House-made Fire Roasted Corn Bread

Once we sat down at the table, we were asked what we would like to drink. Offerings of Chardonnay, Merlot, and beer were available as well as any other beverage Angel could whip up.

For the non-drinkers, there were various types of soda, juice and water.

The first thing to be brought out was the Creamy Free Range Yard Bird Corn Chowder with Piquillo Peppers and Ciabatta Bread. That’s not only a mouthful to say, it was also delicious.

TGMR-20-Chowder-600x435.jpg

Creamy Free Range Yard Bird Corn Chowder with Piquillo Peppers and Ciabatta Bread

The next thing that was brought out was the salad: Wild Greens and Herbs with Cactus Cilantro Vinaigrette with Beet Tumbleweeds and Mandarin Rice Wine Marinade.

TGMR-21-Salad-600x446.jpg

Wild Greens and Herbs with Cactus Cilantro Vinaigrette with Beet Tumbleweeds and Mandarin Rice Wine Marinade

After nibbling on the salad, it was time for the main course: Poblano Barbeque Braised Beef Short Rib with Tobacco Onions, Smoky Cheddar Potatoes Gratin and Black Skillet Roasted Baby Green Beans with Mushrooms.

TGMR-22-Braised-Beef-Short-Rib-600x349.jpg

Poblano Barbeque Braised Beef Short Rib with Tobacco Onions, Smoky Cheddar Potatoes Gratin and Black Skillet Roasted Baby Green Beans with Mushrooms

While we were eating, Alberto and his arch nemesis, “Ma”, were bickering about all kinds of topics. Ma was quite entertaining and stopped by our table several times. She even struck a very interesting pose for us.

TGMR-23-Ma-468x625.jpg

Ma striking a pose.

Everyone kept thanking her for a wonderful meal and she said she was glad we could all come out and have dinner with her. Also, while we were eating, “Ma’s Boys” entertained us with some great music.

The tuba player did a nice rendition of the theme song from The Andy Griffith Show, without one single whistle.

TGMR-24-Mas-Boys-600x470.jpg

Ma’s Boys

As the dinner portion of the evening was coming to a close, Alberto and Ma took to the stage and asked if we were having a great time at the movies and enjoying some good food. We all replied with a resounding YES.

Alberto then told us to get up from our tables and follow him. We were “off to see the Wizard”… but first we had to walk through some classic movie scenes.

Upon entering the Land of Oz, Angel greeted us at his beverage stand. There were tables set up that four or five people could sit at.

In the middle of the room was a large table full of “munchkin sized” desserts to choose from: Yellow Brick Caramel Milk Cake, Wicked Witch Pistachio Cannoli, Emerald Cheesecake Pushups, Ruby Strawberry Panna Cotta, Auntie Em’s Apple Cake.

TGMR-28-Yellow-Brick-Cake-600x357.jpg

Yellow Brick Caramel Milk Cake

TGMR-29-Pistachio-Cannoli-600x424.jpg

Wicked Witch Pistachio Cannoli

TGMR-30-Cheesecake-Pushups-600x352.jpg

Emerald Cheesecake Pushups

TGMR-31-Strawberry-Panna-Cotta-600x498.jpg

Ruby Strawberry Panna Cotta

TGMR-32-Apple-Cake-600x468.jpg

Auntie Em’s Apple Cake

After “munching” on some desserts, Glinda the Good Witch made a special appearance and posed for photographs.

TGMR-33-Glinda-600x582.jpg

Glinda the Good Witch

It wasn’t long before the mood quickly changed. The Wicked Witch of the West had made her presence known and wanted those Ruby Slippers.

However, Glinda told her, “You have no power here! Be gone, before someone drops a house on you too!” She replied, “Very well, I’ll bide my time. But I’ll get you my pretty… and your little dog too!”

After all these years, she still freaks me out.

TGMR-34-Wicked-Witch-600x425.jpg

Wicked Witch of the West wanting the Ruby Slippers.

But at last… the wicked old witch is dead. Then the Munchkins came out and we all joined in singing their famous song… do you remember the words?

As we were leaving, Dorothy reminded us, “There’s no place like home”.

TGMR-35-Dorothy-600x450.jpg

“The Wizard of Oz”, starring Judy Garland.

Overall

Overall, this was a fantastic night. The event cost $165 per person plus tax and gratuity was included. So our total for the evening was $350.

The majority of the food was quite good. But in all honesty, you were there for the ambiance and the dinner was just a huge bonus. It was very special to be able to go behind the scenes and get up close and personal with such an amazing set.

I would highly recommend that this event be added to your Disney “must-do” list. It is an evening you will never forget. You might even appreciate the movies just a little bit more.

Share your thoughts on this Tables in Wonderland event! Do you like the menu? location? price?

Jamie and his wife, Amanda, are huge Disney fans. Being Florida residents, they have the distinct privilege of being Annual Passholders as well as Tables in Wonderland members. They visit Walt Disney World very frequently and have gone there for every wedding anniversary (6 years and counting). They hope to visit Disneyland, for the first time, in the very near future. They have one daughter, Yoda the Chihuahua, who is also a huge Disney fan. They live in Jacksonville, Florida.

Note from the editor: While this dinner doesn’t happen very often, it will be offered again at the D23 Sip and Scream event this Fall on October 2nd. You must be a D23 member to attend.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/06/24/guest-review-tables-in-wonderland-great-movie-ride-dinner/

Not to hijack, but I have a Tables in Wonderland questions. If you are going to stay for a week and plan on eating out at

Rose & Crown

Chef Mickey's

Yak & Yeti

Spirit Of Aloha

one still to be determined

plus occasional eating QS in the park

dining plan vs Tables?

We decided to add the AP since we plan on spending Christmas as well as the rally at the FORT! :partythree: :partythree:

A year ago I was considering trying the DDP again, so I actually crunched the numbers and did up a sample of how we'd eat over a few days. I looked at the menus online and wrote down the cost of what we'd NORMALLY eat - i.e., we don't usually order dessert, but we will sometimes split an app, plus adult beverages (not covered under DDP), and figuring we don't usually eat TS *every* day but we do like signature dining - then compared that to the cost of the DDP per day, adding in the gratuity and adult beverages that we'd pay out of pocket for.

For us it was cheaper with TiW (quite a bit). But depending on how/what you eat, it might not be for you. I know that the last time we did the DDP (I think 4 years ago) we felt like we were planning our trip around the dining, and there was WAY too much food even though we're pretty good eaters. 8)

Also don't forget TiW gets you 20% off on adult beverages not only at restaurants, but at many of the bars/lounges around the resort, as well as QS at AK and some of the food courts.

Oh, and if you're going to get multiple trips in on one TiW, it can make an even bigger difference!

We've got a bunch of menus in the info pages, but not all of them (yet).

2 good sources for number crunching are AllEars (quick and easy text versions, although some might be a little out of date) or the WDW site now has PDFs of most (if not all) menus online, although their site is still kind of slow and cumbersome.

We've got a bunch of menus in the info pages, but not all of them (yet).

2 good sources for number crunching are AllEars (quick and easy text versions, although some might be a little out of date) or the WDW site now has PDFs of most (if not all) menus online, although their site is still kind of slow and cumbersome.

I think I will start on this tomorrow. I need to check to see if we got a discount on the DDP through the group rate too....

I'd be interested to hear if DDP was included in any group discount. It is truly rare to get a discount on DDP. Other than free dining, I mean, and really it's not free if you're paying rack rate for the room.

Normally, any discounts are applied to room/site primarily, followed by tickets if applicable. The only exception that I can think of was years ago when it first started and they ran a buy 4 get 3 free package. The DDP had just changed from food & fun and IIRC the extra 3 nights included park tickets & DDP that first year. Now they don't have any problem selling it so the DDP price just keeps going up while the quality & selection keeps going down.

I'd be interested to hear if DDP was included in any group discount. It is truly rare to get a discount on DDP. Other than free dining, I mean, and really it's not free if you're paying rack rate for the room.

Normally, any discounts are applied to room/site primarily, followed by tickets if applicable. The only exception that I can think of was years ago when it first started and they ran a buy 4 get 3 free package. The DDP had just changed from food & fun and IIRC the extra 3 nights included park tickets & DDP that first year. Now they don't have any problem selling it so the DDP price just keeps going up while the quality & selection keeps going down.

ok so what is the normal rate for the dining plan for sunday to saturday 1 QS, 1TS every day.

According to AllEars...

-- For stays during off-peak seasons, cost is $51.54 per night per adult or junior (ages 10-17), $15.02 per night for children ages 3-9.

-- For stays during peak seasons cost is $53.54 per night per adult or junior (ages 10-17), $16.02 per night for children ages 3-9.

http://allears.net/din/basic-disney-dining-plan.htm#rest

When I did group trips, no, there was no discount on the DDP. TiW gets the 20% off only on TS except where there isn't a TS option. I would say TiW will save you $$ anyday over DDP. I have it and have used it for years. Even when I was at the All Stars, it was 20% off my meals in the Food Court. Also, the final night at Flying Fish it made a huge difference. That was a $100 meal. The savings add up FAST and it more than pays for itself if you do eat out.

So we have crunched the numbers...providing we have done the math correct. We went thru and put in what we plan on eating and the cost. Added the gratuities, taxes...

I would have to reschedule SOA (a rally group event) to get the discount. They only allow the late show.

DS 10yr would still be charged as an adult for Chef Mickey's and SOA... so other than discount no money saving there.

Yak & Yeti (the one place I must return ... fried wantons) isn't on the TIW list. It taint cheap to eat at either....

Getting no desert at Rose and Crown

Add in the cost of the QS... DH plans on eating EVERY meal out. The cook is demanding a vacation.. since it isn't my chore....

Add in the refillable mugs for four

taking out the snacks, the savings is just less than $100.

Admittedly, if we were not eating out every meal and substituting another restaurant for the Yak & Yeti, then TIW would have saved us a bundle.

edited to add - not including grat on the ddp which is almost the same as the price of resort mugs

Edited by Nicki aka Rebelstand