Hi everyone!

I have convinced DH to buy a tent and go camping 2-3 times a year. We will be starting at very convenient campgrounds (think Jellystone) that are not far from home, only with good weather forecasts. Of course, we know how quickly weather can change.

Anyhoooo... although I grew up tent camping, DH only has experience camping with his buddies in college. I'm thinking all they had was a cooler of beer and a few cans of Spam...

Step 1: purchase a tent. I am coming to the EXPERTS in camping here!!! I know you guys can help me!!!

I have been looking seriously at the Coleman Instant Tents - probably the one that sleeps 10. Anyone know about these?

Criteria for our tent:

DH would like to be able to stand up fully. He is about 5'10 or so.

Must fit 1 queen airbed, 1 twin airbed, and stuff.

Not be difficult to set up.

Willing to spend up to $250ish to get what we want. We still have to buy other equip so don't want to go broke on the tent.

Input??? Ideas????

Before we bought our pop up, we were looking into a new tent, and after all my research, we were going to get the Mt Greylock by Gigatent. May be a little more than you are looking for, but bigger is better, and the price wasn't bad for the quality. Thye have other sizes and can be purcghased online at different sites, just do some research and you can find a cheap price. http://www.gigatent.com/itemdetail.asp?mod=FT 018 Good luck!

Best Regards,

Norm

Sorry that I can't be of much help with tent input, as it has been over 10 years since I have purchased a tent.

But, I did want to say that I'm happy to hear that you are in the market for a tent!

TCD

I am so glad to be in the market as well! I think I've been going about the camping talk all wrong... start small...

Before we bought our pop up, we were looking into a new tent, and after all my research, we were going to get the Mt Greylock by Gigatent. May be a little more than you are looking for, but bigger is better, and the price wasn't bad for the quality. Thye have other sizes and can be purcghased online at different sites, just do some research and you can find a cheap price. http://www.gigatent.....asp?mod=FT 018 Good luck!

Best Regards,

Norm

That is a nice looking tent! I saw it on one website for $270 and free shipping - so good price! I have seen the Giga tents on some sites, but wasn't sure about the brand. Thanks! Do you think I need a rainfly with that one? I figure I'll use a tarp under the tent, but not sure if I need something over it as well. This will be my first time "in charge" at camping.

I have always found the best thing to get is 6 mil painters plastic and cut you a custom ground cloth for the tent. Also cut one for the inside of the tent. I rarely put an extra tarp OVER my tent. I generally use the factory rainfly. One of the best things you can do is once you get home with the tent set it up at home for practice, then spray all parts and seams with Camp Dry, Scotch Guard, or some other brand of silicone spray. Let it sit outside for a day or two to dry.

I always used an EZ-Up or some other type of shelter at the ENTRANCE of the tent, so I could get in and out dry.

The last tent we bought was a 10 x 20 tent from Cabella's. It wasn't cheap, I think about $300, but I wouldn't take any other after using this one. The rain fly will zip completely to the ground, enveloping the tent in case of weather. I know it sounds weird, but that it also the way to keep it cool in the hot humid summer. The floor material came up the sides far enough to be above the level of the air mattresses. That means that you don't get wet bedding, even if your bed ends up pressed against the wall.

With the ends of the rain fly closed you have a space at either end of the tent, maybe 2-3 feet, to store gear and supplies so they are covered and out of the weather. The tent has a main door in the middle, and secondary doors on both ends.

Like I said, Cabella's doesn't sell cheap, but I'll stack their quality against anyone in the business.

I have seen some very nice tents at K Mart sounds crazy but prices were good also, try Dick's Sporting Goods they even had some package deals with almost everything needed to start. The setting up at home is a very good idea that way you are not the Friday entertainment at the campground :rofl2:

I have been looking seriously at the Coleman Instant Tents - probably the one that sleeps 10. Anyone know about these?

I have that tent and love it!!

000_0563.jpg

But i really like these two also..

http://www.walmart.c...eps-12/20531614

http://www.walmart.c...indingMethod=rr

notice they have a/c holes built in.. :)

I have always found the best thing to get is 6 mil painters plastic and cut you a custom ground cloth for the tent. Also cut one for the inside of the tent. I rarely put an extra tarp OVER my tent. I generally use the factory rainfly. One of the best things you can do is once you get home with the tent set it up at home for practice, then spray all parts and seams with Camp Dry, Scotch Guard, or some other brand of silicone spray. Let it sit outside for a day or two to dry.

I always used an EZ-Up or some other type of shelter at the ENTRANCE of the tent, so I could get in and out dry.

Good call on the backyard practice! Will do that for sure. We also have a KOA about 3 miles from home, so we will do a trial run there as well. I hadn't thought about the entrance to the tent. I did come across this one that looks like it would take care of that:

http://coleman.com/product/montanatrade-8-tent-with-hinged-door/2000001594?contextCategory=ModifiedDomeTents

I grew up on Coleman stuff, so that's where I started searching first.

The last tent we bought was a 10 x 20 tent from Cabella's. It wasn't cheap, I think about $300, but I wouldn't take any other after using this one.

Like I said, Cabella's doesn't sell cheap, but I'll stack their quality against anyone in the business.

That sounds like a great tent! I looked at Cabella's website, but didn't spend much time because of the prices. I will give them another look for sure.

I have seen some very nice tents at K Mart sounds crazy but prices were good also, try Dick's Sporting Goods they even had some package deals with almost everything needed to start. The setting up at home is a very good idea that way you are not the Friday entertainment at the campground :rofl2:

KMart - yes! I forget about them - and if you search their site, you also get Sears... I do need to go over to DSG. I hadn't thought about getting like a "starter kit" but that would certainly be a good idea.

Oh, I'm sure we will be entertainment no matter how well it goes! :hah:

We bought a field and stream 10x13 last year. It's been up during some storms and no leaking. We got it from Dick's.

Thanks for the tip! I will look at those as well. It is so great to hear from you guys who actually have these. I can't stand reading the reviews - one person is 5 star, the next is 1.

I have that tent and love it!!

http://www.walmart.c...eps-12/20531614

http://www.walmart.c...indingMethod=rr

notice they have a/c holes built in.. :)

That is the tent! Do you use the rainfly? I don't like how I would have to order it separately. But, am drawn to the ease of setup. And I saw one at Target the other day for $199. No a/c for us - if we start camping that much, I am sooooooo talking DH into a pop up. :heart: He's dying to pull something with his Jeep anyway... :rofl3:

The gigatent comes with the rainfly. If you notice in the pictures, there is one without it and one with. The Coleman instant tent is fine if you have the rainfly, but without it and it rains, you can't open the windows and in the Florida humidity, I wouldn't want to be in it. Honestly to expensive, for what you get. Whatever tent you get, I would spray with a rainproof silicone that you can get at WalMart for a cheap price. Also, make sure it has a tub floor, which is usually a different material and a lot stronger than the sides. Another thing we always did was put a moving blanket on the floor for a carpet. Easily washable and keep your feet off the damp and/or cool floor, and also helps cushion anything you may have missed under the tent.

Best Regards,

Norm

The gigatent comes with the rainfly. If you notice in the pictures, there is one without it and one with. The Coleman instant tent is fine if you have the rainfly, but without it and it rains, you can't open the windows and in the Florida humidity, I wouldn't want to be in it. Honestly to expensive, for what you get. Whatever tent you get, I would spray with a rainproof silicone that you can get at WalMart for a cheap price. Also, make sure it has a tub floor, which is usually a different material and a lot stronger than the sides. Another thing we always did was put a moving blanket on the floor for a carpet. Easily washable and keep your feet off the damp and/or cool floor, and also helps cushion anything you may have missed under the tent.

Best Regards,

Norm

Yeah, I think I've ruled out the Instant Tent just because it ticks me off that it doesn't come with the rainfly. All the other tents that I've looked at and liked have come with it. Thanks for the tip on the moving blanket! Good idea!

Thanks so much! I had forgotten about ebay - I need to hit up Amazon again too...

Check this weekd K Mart add they have a big sale on camping gear, at least in our area with a couple of nice tents on the front of the add. :camp1:

Thanks for the tip! None of the tents in our ad are what I'm looking for, but they had several interesting canopies!

All those tents look great and makes me almost want to tent camp rather than using the RV..... :camp1:

I hear you - I'm having a hard time making a choice!

Okay, I'm just going to have to toss a coin. A 3-sided coin - LOL! I'm going to buy ONE of these tents TODAY!

This afternoon, DH is going to mark off the dimensions of each one in the backyard with twine so I can eyeball the size.

In the end, I decided we don't want to get anything TOO big. It's pretty much for sleeping, changing clothes, and lying down to watch a movie for DD.

It was still important to DH to be able to stand up and move around easily. As we have started to make a list of things to accumulate, we have also reduced the amount we initially thought we would spend.

So, drum roll please....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Coleman-Montana-8-Tent-Outdoor-Camping-16-x-7-Feet-footprint-/190688394439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c65e9fcc7

http://www.amazon.com/Giga-Tent-Mountain-Green-10-Feet/dp/B00422WC62/ref=sr_1_19?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1339351046&sr=1-19

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Cimmaron-8-Person-Modified-Dome-Tent-14-x-8/16677083

What do you think?

Well, we decided to go with the Coleman Cimarron that we could order through Walmart for $119 and get free shipping site-to-store. I went ahead and threw in the seam sealant stuff and a few extra tent stakes into the order.

When we laid out the three dimensions, the Montana was good but the 7 foot width bothered me. I mean, if we laid out the queen airbed one way, it would pretty much touch the edges of the tent. If we did the airbeds opposite ways, it made for an awkward open space. Maybe it was just me.

The Giga was a perfect square - which I like - but it was the smaller of the three. Not by much, but when we laid out the Cimarron, it just worked. We could put one airbed on each end and have a good size space between to put stuff or just to stand and get dressed. Plus, it was the only layout we did so that when you walked into the tent, you weren't almost stepping on a bed. The beds will clearly be out of the way of the door.

The price didn't hurt either. I'm so excited! I can't wait to get out there now. DH says he has a variety of bungee cords, tarps, and such, so as soon as we get it I'll put together our "set up" in the back yard and have him seal it. Then we can use the hose to test it! Thanks guys for all your help!

I like the Giga one best. It looks like it has the most usable space.

It was close for the Giga. In the end, I think the rectangular shape just worked better for us.

Mike has one similar to the Coleman Montana.

I really like the front awning on his. Out of the three, thats the one I choose.

That awning was part of the draw for me, too. In the end, I just didn't feel as good about it as I did the 8ft width on the Cimmaron.

This on has strait sides, bigger and cost less. just saying...

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_1177wt_1185

Oh wow! Too bad princess (that's me) has to have a NEW one. ::)

Thanks again for all your help. I was having a hard time narrowing things down and knowing what to look for.

I like TJ's new pick.

ETA-oops you picked. Will the height be good in the one you picked? I was afraid there would only be enough right smack in the center. That going to either side would cause stooping.