New Treats - Mickey Ear Hat Brownies, Chocolate-Covered Pineapple, and More!

From the Disney Food Blog. Follow the link at the end for more photos...

New in Disney World: Mickey Ear Hat Brownies, Chocolate-Covered Pineapple, and More!

Jun 15th, 2012 by Erin.

During my recent Walt Disney World visit, my first stop in the Magic Kingdom was, as always, the Main Street Confectionery.

Most of the usual yummies were right where they should be (I’m talking to you Krispie Mickey Heads and mint chocolate fudge). But I did notice a few recent additions to the Confectionery offerings.

Mickey Ear Hat Brownies

First up in the refrigerator case, I noticed something labeled “Brownies $3.95.”

IMG_7337-001-600x400.jpg

These cute-as-a-button treats are shaped like little Mickey ear hats. Fun! They come in four flavors: raspberry (red swirl), mint (green swirl), all chocolate (white swirl), or, gasp, English toffee (toffee bits on top). I opted to try the mint version.

As with all Mickey-shaped items, I opted to eat the ears first. Unfortunately, I was so busy eating the ear that I neglected to take its photo.

The ear itself is a chocolate disk with flavor and consistency of an Andes mint candy. Works for me.

Diving into the middle of the treat, you get a mint flavored brownie. This was a cake-textured brownie. Normally I prefer a denser, moister fudgey brownie, but the lighter cake texture here did a nice job balancing out the richness of the ears and the chocolate coating, which enrobed the entire treat.

The effect was almost like a cake pop without the stick and the unpleasant gumminess of the Disney cake pops. I hope this item sticks around for a while, because I’d definitely like to give the toffee version a go as well.

Chocolate Covered Pineapple Spear

The next new item I saw was the chocolate covered pineapple spear.

IMG_7358-001-600x400.jpg

I nearly didn’t notice these because they were displayed next to the chocolate covered pretzels. Since they’re about the same length as a pretzel, if you’re looking fast they look like they might be part of the pretzel pile.

Inside the chocolate coating was a totally fresh and juicy pineapple spear. I’d had chocolate covered dried pineapple in the past, but this was a new experience for me.

The acidity of the pineapple and the sweetness of the chocolate were a great pairing. I have to say that I much preferred this to the chocolate covered grapes I tried at Epcot this trip. The fruit to candy ratio had a better balance here for me. I’ll be trying this one again as well.

Speaking of the grapes, you can also find a version of this in Epcot at Karamell-Kuche (caramel drizzled, of course), and in Disney California Adventure on Buena Vista Street!

Mad Treats

Last but not least are some packaged treats branded with the Mad Treats logo, originally seen over at Disneyland in conjunction with the Mad T Party events there.

The Mad Treats include confetti popcorn, sour balls, bright bears, sour smiles, glittery heart lollipops, Cheshire Cat lollipops, and Krispie bites.

IMG_5635-001-600x400.jpg

IMG_5820-001-416x625.jpg

IMG_5822-001-416x625.jpg

IMG_6556-001-600x400.jpg

IMG_6559-001-600x400.jpg

At the Confectionery, the Mad Treats are displayed with the Minnie’s Bake Shop and Goofy’s Candy Company packaged sweets.

I later found that the Mad Treats are sold throughout the WDW parks and resorts, although not all of the items were in every location.

What do think, folks? Will you be adding any of these sweet treats to your agenda the next time you’re at the Magic Kingdom?

Erin Foster is the Disney Food for Families columnist and a behind-the-scenes guru here at Disney Food Blog! Check out more of her posts here.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/06/15/new-in-disney-world-mickey-ear-hat-brownies-chocolate-covered-pineapple-and-more/