Heading out east, June-July 2013

I wonder if anyone here has done this sort of trip before. We live in Michigan and want to do a big trip out east. We're in the early planning stages, tentatively looking at....

Hershey, PA for 2 days

Cheshire, MA for a day

Freeport, ME for a day (I need to worship at the altar of LL Bean)

Bar Harbor and Ellsworth, ME and Acadia for 4-5 days

Prince Edward Island (probably Cavendish for the Avonlea awesomeness) for 3 days

Then back home....driving direct with overnights likely in Quebec City and London, ON.

Advice? BTDT experience?

Our challenges on this trip will be......(1) driving a 30-ft Class C with no toad, so we have to be able to park the moho wherever or have a shuttle to take us where we want to be, and (2) having the dogs with us and no generator, so we can't leave the moho parked anywhere without electricity for the AC.

Also, both of our dogs are pit bull mixes, and I need to search out breed specific legislation in the places we're headed, but actual BTDT experience would be even better.

Right now I feel crazy to be planning such a huge, long trip. It's overwhelming! I'm also concerned about being there in the summertime with the dogs.....having to be plugged in all of the time and being shuttle-dependent is going to limit what we can do. I think I'm panicking and trying to talk myself out of this trip :-)

BTDT, had to look that one up.

Being from New England, I haven't been to most of the places on your list. With all of the really great places to visit in New England, those didn't make the cut. I'm sure they're very nice though

For what it's worth, my eastern trip would start at Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket, to the tip of Cape Cod, up the Massachusetts, NH, and Maine coasts, and ending up at Bar Harbor. Never had the need to go any further.

Just some of the towns to stop at.

Provincetown,MA, Plymouth,MA, Boston, Salem,MA, Gloucester,MA, Portsmouth,NH, Ogunquit,ME, Kennebunkport,ME, Boothbay Harbor,ME, Camden,ME, and Bar Harbor,ME.

I so envy you. I lived in Falmouth Mass. for four years. The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute is interesting: http://www.whoi.edu/visitus/

I lived in Portsmouth NH for 12 years. Look up Newick's for great, fresh, right off the boat seafood. http://www.newicks.com/index.html. Also in Portsmouth, "Strawbery Banke tells the stories of the many generations who settled in this Portsmouth, New Hampshire "Puddle Dock" community from the late l7th to the mid-20th century. " http://www.strawberybanke.org/

Since you are looking forward to LL Bean, you will also love Kittery Trading Post on Rt 1 just north of the NH/Maine border. Lots of outlet shopping and good eating in the neighbohood. http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/

Mt Washington, NH: http://www.mountwashington.org/

Lots of beautiful lighthouses, especially Nubble Light at York Beach Maine. http://www.lighthouse.cc/capeneddick/

I was sad to hear that the ferry from Portland Maine to Nova Scotia was cancelled. Bummer.

There is too much to do, not enough time.

PEI is beautiful . . . spend some time in Cavendish!

Quebec City is 1 year younger than Jamestown Virginia . . . but it's much more European. Narrow cobbled streets in the old walled city . . . and of course it's French. WOW! It's a piece of Eurpoe in North America.

Enjoy!

If you enjoy shopping, make sure you have enough time in Freeport for more than just LL Bean. There are TONS of interesting shops and very nice outlets right in town. You can walk to most of them. And LL Bean itself is multiple buildings of everything Bean. One interesting thing...if you have any Bean merchandise that could use repairs, bring it and they may be able to fix it on the spot. My wife had some shoes that had gotten worn, and they totally refurbished them while we were there. She left with basically a new pair of shoes.

Traveling to Maine to go to outlet stores, I think I'll pass.

Did you pick up a European shoulder bag for yourself while you were there?

No I didn't Lou. But we enjoyed spending the day walking around Freeport, strolling in and out of the various shops. It's a very walkable little town. No need to waste any time getting on a smelly, noisy bus.

Ontario has had legislation banning pit bulls since 2005. If you were entering Canada in Ontario, your dogs would not be allowed but it looks like you will be entering via New Brunswick on your way to PEI (I'm assuming you will stay in the US on your way to Hershey). On your return trip, you will enter Ontario from Quebec and this is the same as travelling from one state to another (just a "Welcome to ..." sign).

You mentioned that you are planning on staying in London, ON on your way home... are you planning on overnighting at the Flying J located there? If not, you may have a hard time finding a campground if they are aware you have pit bulls.

Here is a cut and paste of info from the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General web site

• It is against the law to bring pit bulls into Ontario, even for a short visit.
  • There are no exceptions made for:
    • Tourists
    • People moving to Ontario, or
    • Military personnel being transferred to Ontario postings.

And from the FAQ section...

What if I am just passing through Ontario with my pit bull?

You will be in contravention of the law if you are found to have imported a pit bull into the province. Your pit bull may be subject to seizure and you may be subject to a fine and/or jail time. Please note that exceptions exist for Ontario residents who are out of the province with their pit bulls for less than three months. Limited exceptions also exist for individuals coming to Ontario for purposes of participating in recognized dog shows and flyball tournaments.

Hope this helps... I would hate to see you or anyone else have your dogs seized. I'm not sure if Quebec, New Brunswick, or PEI have similar legislation. Have a great trip,,, PEI is beautiful!!

I've been to most of those places on your list.

Hershey PA--fun amusement park and CHOCOLATE factory! need I say more?

Cheshire, MA for a day - ahh the Berkshires, beautiful! hope you can see Tanglewood! (music venue).

NH is a nice state too!!! don't forget us! (Portsmouth is right on the ocean as is Hampton beach)

Freeport, ME for a day (I need to worship at the altar of LL Bean)--such a cute little town, fun shops.

Bar Harbor and Ellsworth, ME and Acadia for 4-5 days -- I like both Bar Harbor and Acadia. Beautiful! Acadia is actually an island... a lot of times they don't allow campfires, depeding on the weather/heat. We have a truck camper (see my icon) and we drove and parked everywhere. Maine can be tough and RV parking is usually the FARTHEST parking lot away, but they do have it. But you have to park in designated RV parking areas. Freeport won't be any trouble.

Have fun planning! try not to stress. We don't have dogs, but my inlaws had a Chow... and they didn't have a lot of trouble bringing their dog. Just call the campgrounds ahead of time.

Just some of the towns to stop at.

Provincetown,MA, Plymouth,MA, Boston, Salem,MA, Gloucester,MA, Portsmouth,NH, Ogunquit,ME, Kennebunkport,ME, Boothbay Harbor,ME, Camden,ME, and Bar Harbor,ME.

I'm starting to think I'll need a solid 3 weeks for this trip.....we probably won't get out that way more than once in the near future, and I want to see (and show dd) as much as I can.

There is too much to do, not enough time.

Thank you for all of the links, Judy! There's so much more to see than I realized. I'm definitely going to be adding to my itinerary. And you're absolutely right about too much to do and not enough time!

PEI is beautiful . . . spend some time in Cavendish!

Quebec City is 1 year younger than Jamestown Virginia . . . but it's much more European. Narrow cobbled streets in the old walled city . . . and of course it's French. WOW! It's a piece of Eurpoe in North America.

Enjoy!

I am really looking forward to PEI and Cavendish. I didn't know that about Quebec City....dh just found it on the map as a logical stopping point on our very long journey home. It sounds lovely and a must-see.

If you enjoy shopping, make sure you have enough time in Freeport for more than just LL Bean. There are TONS of interesting shops and very nice outlets right in town. You can walk to most of them. And LL Bean itself is multiple buildings of everything Bean. One interesting thing...if you have any Bean merchandise that could use repairs, bring it and they may be able to fix it on the spot. My wife had some shoes that had gotten worn, and they totally refurbished them while we were there. She left with basically a new pair of shoes.

I'm not a big shopper, but I do love meandering through a walkable town, especially one with unique shops. Thanks for the heads-up on the repairs.....dh has a Bean jacket with a bad zipper that he hasn't gotten around to mailing back....we'll definitely take it with us!

Ontario has had legislation banning pit bulls since 2005.

Ah, I knew in the back of my mind that this was an issue....I think I read that statute a few years ago and tucked it away knowing it would be a problem the next time we headed east. The last time we went to ON, we had different dogs and weren't camping, and we stayed in hotels there with them. You're correct on our route, and I haven't been able to find similar legislation in PEI in my searches. As they've gotten older, my dogs don't look very pit bullish anymore, but I'm concerned about staying in ON and trying to stay under the radar, since there are no tourist exceptions. If it ends up that we'll be getting in super late and we can stay at the Flying J and pull out early the next morning, it might work. Otherwise, I need a new plan!

Smelly and noisy bus, how about riding around the Freeport Outdoor Mall in a smelly old L.L. Bean boot?

Bootmobile_Freeport.jpg

I so want to ride in this!

I've been to most of those places on your list.

Thanks, Cindy! Since you're the 3rd person now to mention Portsmouth, I'm considering that a must-see, lol! The parking issue is weighing heavily on my mind, so it's good to know we have some options. I haven't been to Maine since I was quite young, when my grandparents lived in Ellsworth and we would visit Bar Harbor....I can't wait to see it all again (though I'm sure it will be totally different from what I remember!)