Landscape of Flavors at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

From the Disney Food Blog. Follow the link at the end for lots more photos...

Guest Review: Landscape of Flavors at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

Jul 17th, 2012 by Kim.

Today, we’re welcoming back Bill Iadonisi with a guest review of the Art of Animation Resort’s new food court – Landscape of Flavors! You can see our previous review of Art of Animation here!

We love Disney for so many reasons; the attractions, shows, fireworks and one of my favorites, the food! For us, nothing beats a meal at Disney. But the ultimate magical experience is dining at a brand new eatery! Case in point is the new “Landscape of Flavors” counter-service restaurant in the newly opened Art of Animation resort.

This restaurant is the only eatery for the resort and is counter-service. It is very similar to one of my very favorite places to dine, the Sunshine Seasons in the Land pavilion at EPCOT. Here you will find healthier, more upscale offerings than the usual hot dogs, burgers and chicken fingers. The menu has something for everyone.

Atmosphere

I like to rate eateries on four criteria – Atmosphere, Service, Food, and Value. Let’s begin!

You enter the restaurant through the Animation Hall lobby, making a left through the “Ink and Paint Shop” gift store. The dining area seats 596 guests, but in no way will you feel crowded. The spacious dining room is bright and airy.

There are several smaller areas off of the main room, and like the main area, they are surrounded by pictures and lighting fixtures.

On the far wall by the pool area, the whole wall has floor to ceiling windows, offering a fantastic view of the pool area and its many themed sculptures and designs.

There are beverage stations and small snack kiosks all around. Microwaves are also available.

Guests pick up a tray and utensils and move on to the food stations to order. There are no hard-copy menus, the menus are above the different food stations on an LCD screen just like in the Sunshine Seasons. Editor’s Note: I absolutely love that the utensils are NOT plastic! icon_wink.gif

After picking up your order, you pay on the way out and that is where you also order your beverages.

While it was fairly crowded when we were there, the noise level was not at all offensive. You could have a conversation with no problem.

We sat near the windows to enjoy the view. There is a covered outdoor area next to the pool with plenty of seating. All of your condiments are at the various stations around the dining area.

What I also liked about the eatery is the large beverage cooler, offering water, juices, yogurts, kids’ picks and even wine.

You can also just pick up a quick snack to go. There is a dessert cooler with even more goodies to choose from.

The service aspect is really moot here, since it is counter service; but whatever station you choose, the staff was Disney efficient and of course, friendly!

Eats

Now the food. Each station has its own menus and everything is made fresh and right in front of you. There are also sample plates of the dishes offered, giving you a heads-up on what you will be getting.

The menus have a nice variety for almost every palate.

Offered are custom “Create your own Burger”, veggie burgers and even a pastrami Cheeseburger.

BURGERS-600x146.jpg

Art of Animation Burgers

BURGERS1-600x252.jpg

Art of Animation Burgers

There is the “Create your own Salad” with a plethora of fresh ingredients, including shrimp or chicken.

Soups are also offered. And for the pizza and Italian crowd, a variety of pizzas and pastas can be had.

All menus have a “Kids’ Pick” side. There is also a Tandoori and Mongolian Grill menu.

My wife Donna chose the Caprese Sandwich ($8.99) with fresh tomatoes, Mozzarella cheese, basil and a fantastic Balsamic drizzle, served on a Ciabatte roll with Disney’s House made chips. The chips are very tasty, have a sharp crunch and are not at all greasy.

HOUSE-CHIPS-600x450.jpg

House Chips

The sandwich was very tasty and the bread was soft and crunchy. It’s a great choice. She also picked up an éclair from the cooler.

CAPRESE-SANDWICH-AND-ECLAIR-600x450.jpg

Caprese Sandwich and Eclair

I’m a salad man and had to try the make your own salad ($9.99). Iceberg lettuce, spring mix, or spinach is offered. I made my salad with a combo of all three and really went wild. Some of the choices are ham, corn, bacon, shrimp, chicken, and several varieties of beans.

SALAD-SIDES-600x316.jpg

Salad Sides

The greens were fresh and crisp, and the add-ons were just as tasty and fresh. It turned out to be a hefty salad, more than enough for the average eater. With my coffee and Donna’s Diet coke, it was an enjoyable meal.

CREATE-YOUR-OWN-SALAD-600x513.jpg

Create Your Own Salad

We were both pleased with the choices, and if that is any indication, the other freshly made offerings looked as enticing and were probably just as tasty. And the Landscape of Flavors did not forget the desserts!

In addition to the dessert cooler, a smoothie and cake station is offered. From Mango, Wildberry, and Create-your-own, the smoothies look delectable! Gelato, Espresso and Cappuccinos are available.

DESSERTS-600x321.jpg

Gelato

There is a breakfast menu also, which includes omelets, eggs, French toast, variety platters, steak and eggs, pancakes and sandwiches. Also, muffins, pastries, croissants and a variety of beverages. The menus change depending on the time.

Overall

For value, the prices are in range with other Disney counter-service restaurants. But the fare here is a step above the norm. The bright and open dining area, along with the artwork and the wonderfully themed resort, make it a great stop for a bite.

The eatery is open from 6am till midnight. My wife and I enjoyed this new addition to Disney’s stable of Dining choices and will be back again soon to sample the other menu items offered.

No reservations are needed and it accepts Tables in Wonderland, but not DVC (Disney Vacation Club) discounts. I have included the menus in the picture section.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/07/17/guest-review-landscape-of-flavors-at-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/