Apple Strudel - Food and Wine, Germany

From the Disney Food Blog...

Epcot Food and Wine Festival Recipe: Apple Strudel from Germany

Aug 21st, 2012 by AJ.

We’re definitely counting down to the 2012 Epcot Food and Wine Festival here at DFB! And one of the most anticipated details of the Festival every year are the World Showcase Marketplace Booth menus.

While I love to try all the new menu items, I always enjoy welcoming back old favorites as well; and we work very hard to make sure you know what to expect when you start traversing those kiosks. Check out the full menus as well as some great food photos from the booths this year, here!

I thought we could have a look in on the uber-popular Germany Booth. They’re changing up the menu very slightly this year with new twists on old menu items. A Roast Bratwurst will be in the Pretzel Roll this year, and I can’t wait to try the new Schinken Nudel (Pasta Gratin with Ham and Cheese) — twist on the long-standing schnitzel!

But today, we are focusing on one of the most popular desserts at the festival — Apple Strudel. The perfect balance between flaky, buttery crust and tart-sweet, spicy apples, this stuff is awesome! And now we can make it at home! icon_wink.gif

Germany-500x333.jpg

Apple Strudel featuring Werther’s Original Karamell Sauce and Vanilla Sauce

Apple Strudel

Ingredients:

3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced

1/4 cup raisins

4 tablespoons sugar

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

4 tablespoons plain bread crumbs

8 ounces phyllo dough, thawed (about 20 sheets)

3/4 cup butter, melted

1 cup heavy cream, slightly whipped, optional

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.

2. Gently mix apples, raisins, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium bowl; set aside.

3. Toast bread crumbs in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Stir constantly until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.

4. Place a kitchen towel on a large work surface. Spread one sheet of phyllo dough on the kitchen towel and lightly brush the entire surface with melted butter. Layer another sheet on top, butter, and continue the process until all sheets are stacked.

5. Sprinkle the toasted bread crumbs along the longest side of the top sheet of buttered phyllo dough. Spread apple mixture on top of the bread crumbs.

6. Roll the strudel, jelly-roll fashion, using the towel to help shape the dough, starting from the apple mixture side to the opposite end. While rolling, make sure that apples do not spill from the ends. Place seam side down on baking sheet and brush with remaining melted butter.

7. Using a large spatula, place strudel on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake approximately 25 to 30 minutes or until the dough is golden brown.

8. Let cool at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes. Slice strudel with a serrated knife into 6 portions; top with whipped cream, if desired.

Cook’s notes: Frozen phyllo dough is readily available in supermarkets. It’s best thawed overnight in the refrigerator in original packaging. (If you thaw at room temperature the dough becomes very moist and sheets will stick together.) If the dough cracks or tears, just trim. If you are mid-recipe, just put another sheet over the damaged sheet; once baked, the tear won’t be noticeable.

MiniGuide-3D-cover-188x200.jpg

Headed to the 2012 Epcot Food and Wine Festival? Don’t forget to snap up our 160-page DFB Mini-Guide to the 2012 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival e-Book! It’s a great deal and packs everything you need to know to plan you trip into one handy little guide!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/08/21/epcot-food-and-wine-festival-recipe-apple-strudel-from-germany/

One of my favs and a great childhood memory, too. My wife just made some a couple weeks ago.