Chilling on a Fort road... Pam & Starla's July 4 with the squatters

Ok, you're here now so GET BUSY!

yes ma'am. I do have to go pick up Starla dearest at work in a little bit but I'm working on it. Go get my some-day-soon-new-mama some more macaroni salad & a sweet tea awhile and hold yer britches on...

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

or, in my mother's words, "July 4 was weeks ago - are you ever coming home?" If given a choice I think we can all guess the answer to that one. It's a short one syllabel answer that might symbolically

Pam went to the pool and kicked some local's ass. How's that for trip reporting?

Oh don't be silly guys. That what fiends are for right? It was an epic derailment. I only hope what I write will be worthy. The pressure is on now. LOL even TCD can't say he broke a ff 200,000 post mi

Those guys who use a chainsaw to make tree trunks into art always fascinate me. Apparently I'm not the only one. By lunchtime Saturday, there was an audience gathered around watching him work every time I looked. From what I could see he did very well too and almost everything sold. I took some pics of some of the creations for sale. We were especially fond of the two raccoons bench. But check out the dog he's working on. That turned out to be an awesome piece...

0623121716b.jpg

0623121716a.jpg

0623121716.jpg

0623121715.jpg

0623121715a.jpg

0623121715b.jpg

0623121714a.jpg

DS34 and his GF went back to the pontoon just before sunset to watch fireworks from the water.

sing it with me now... party in slow motion, out here in the open... mmmmm motorboatin'

In the meantime, I took some pics of the sunset and the crowds waiting on the hill for fireworks. Since the girls and I are rarely up early enough for a sunrise, we usually do sunsets instead.

0623122023a.jpg

0623122024.jpg

0623122026.jpg

0623122023.jpg

Starla has a nice video of the fireworks. It was a good long display. She'll be along to post it soon. Right now she's working with a hitch-hiking snarky ghost...

Sunday we opened our eyes to a nice sunny day. That was really good too b/c DD11 was chomping at the bit to get down to the park naturalists and sign up for the kayak tour.

They'd done kayak tours all day Saturday. The guy leading the tours walked around Saturday morning handing out whistles to all the kids promoting the kayaks. It worked. They filled up remarkably fast and she'd missed her opportunity to get into her first kayak on Saturday. No way was my youngest princess going to take that chance again. Even before we opened our stand, she was standing at the kayaks waiting to be first on the list.

Starla was soon bribed blackmailed convinced to accompany her younger sister and off they went in a green two person weighted kayak. She's such a good big sister. Just look at those faces. Don't they look excited to be going? Well, one of them does...

P1010026.jpg

P1010027.jpg

P1010032.jpg

I'd like to tell you what a great bonding experience it was for them. Instead, I'll just say they both survived. Nobody drowned and the kayak didn't tip. Working together is not their strong suit. I sure hope we don't ever have to rely on them paddling a lifeboat together if the ship we're on goes down b/c we'd be goners for sure.

P1010031.jpg

P1010029-1.jpg

Hiking back up the hill past the vendors we came across something that made me pause. A while ago fiends were talking about the uses for dry ice. I don't remember anyone mentioning having children drink it, but that's just what this stand did with it.

0624120916a.jpg

It looks really cool bubbling and smoking but I kept remembering how my mother always told us not to touch the dry ice packed around my birthday cakes as a child b/c it would burn my hands. Watching the ball of dry ice bounce around the cups, I asked the guy selling the drinks about it. He said there was no need to worry. The dry ice was too big to fit inside the straw. Then he said it'd evaporate too quickly once inside the straw to make it to the mouth.

Bubble, bubble, toil & trouble... as Tantor, Tarzan's elephant friend, said when wondering if the stream was sanitary "It sure looks questionable to me". It's going to take a little more research before I allow the kids to buy one of those neat bubbling drinks.

Still, what a great idea for the Halloween GG. I wonder how it'd be in coconut rum?

0624120916.jpg

Moving further up the hill we saw something else we hadn't seen before. Check out these propane powered mini cars the gas company had on display. It might not replace our golf cart but it sure got our attention - and everybody elses as well. I don't think they'd have a hard time selling them by the truckload if they decided to.

0623121807c.jpg

So... Mom said you all wanted some Fireworks?

http://youtu.be/Q-yOJgq_yrk

By the way... This is like the first time ever for me actually uploading videos to youtube >.> You may want to turn your sound down just a bit, just a warning, my phone seemed to catch everything around us xD