Did this "report" come from a cabin guest? There is no benefit for the campsites to get the new keys yet. The gates are still using the old style keys (slide in to access). I do not believe the cabins have switched over yet either. So maybe they just got lucky or do not know what the new cards are and just think they have one.

Good point Carol. Im sure Disney has stopped buying the regular old cards since the new ones can be used either way. So its just supply and demand now. It doesnt mean the Fort is "using" the new cards. Its just thats all thats available now so thats what they issue.

I don't think it has happened at too many resorts yet.

You would be incorrect, oh great one.

As of early August the Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village, Disney's Art of Animation Resort, Disney's BoardWalk Resort, Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Coronado Springs Resort, Disney's Old Key West Resort, and Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts have been converted to RFID locks.

Property wide lock conversion is expected to be completed in 2013.

I thought that was already known.

The door locks at all of the resorts have been or will be changed to accept the new KTTW cards.

Known that it was in the works, but so far very few resorts have officially switched over.

And usually the Fort is the last on the list.

Did this "report" come from a cabin guest? There is no benefit for the campsites to get the new keys yet. The gates are still using the old style keys (slide in to access). I do not believe the cabins have switched over yet either. So maybe they just got lucky or do not know what the new cards are and just think they have one.

Not sure if they were campers or cabin guests. I suspect that Carol is right and they indeed got the new cards... they just can't actually DO anything with them yet at the Fort.

Thanks Dave!

Disney has stopped buying the regular old cards since the new ones can be used either way. So its just supply and demand now. It doesnt mean the Fort is "using" the new cards. Its just thats all thats available now so thats what they issue.

All WDW resorts are issuing the new cards only.

Of course the RFID door lock feature only works at those resorts that have been converted.

From WDW Magic...

Disney's Polynesian Resort is now getting the RFID lock upgrade on guest room doors. The work is currently in progress and is set to be completed by the end of the month.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-polynesian-resort/news/21sep2012-new-door-locks-now-being-installed-at-disney%27s-polynesian-resort.htm

Well, at least they won't be putting swinging gates across each site. As fun as it would be to swipe the card at the lock, it would sure be a hassle to make sure everything fit inside the area exactly.

Well, at least they won't be putting swinging gates across each site. As fun as it would be to swipe the card at the lock, it would sure be a hassle to make sure everything fit inside the area exactly.

Yeah, but it would give the rangers nothing to do,, you know if you are 1 inch on the grass,, they get excited,, they found a violation to talk about all day ................

Now that I think about, a free standing door at each camp site could be fun. Look kinda like the doors from Monsters, Inc. We could all make Snarky wreaths to hang on the doors with the mingos milling around near by.

You would be incorrect, oh great one.

As of early August the Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village, Disney's Art of Animation Resort, Disney's BoardWalk Resort, Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Coronado Springs Resort, Disney's Old Key West Resort, and Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts have been converted to RFID locks.

Property wide lock conversion is expected to be completed in 2013.

What's that? 7 out of 24? I don't think I was incorrect in stating that not many resorts had the RFID readers yet.

Actually, that's more than I thought.

I am surprised that Disney is spending the money to make this change at existing resorts. They have to install a reader on each door. That can't be cheap. They must have a good reason for this which is not obvious to me.

TCD

Well as many times as they have had to repair or replace the card reader in the door when we stay at All-Stars, replacing them may be an ultimately long term cheaper solution as the RFID door readers are more reliable.

We've had MANY stays where the darn door didn't work.

What's that? 7 out of 24? I don't think I was incorrect in stating that not many resorts had the RFID readers yet.

There are actually 27 named resorts, however if you count the locations that have multiple resorts such as All Stars, AKL, FW, etc, as one resort, there are only 16 and half of those have been converted.

Nowhere near half of the WDW rooms have been converted.

According to info posted by Disney, the Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, BoardWalk, Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Yacht & Beach Club, and the Polynesian resorts have been converted to RFID locks. That's eight.

According to info posted by Disney, the Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, BoardWalk, Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Yacht & Beach Club, and the Polynesian resorts have been converted to RFID locks. That's eight.

Uncle.

A lot of WDW resort rooms have been converted to accept RFID KTTW cards, and more are on the way.

TCD

It still is less than half though.