50s Prime Time Cafe - Disney's Hollywood Studios

The Disney Food Blog has posted a review of 50s Prime Time Cafe...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/10/08/review-50s-prime-time-cafe-the-cheese-is-back/

Some excerpts...

The menu here is pretty small, featuring comfort foods with a couple of interesting options thrown in just for fun. Nothing too adventurous here, so picky eaters should be fine.

50s-Prime-Time-Cafe-Full-Menu-388x625.jpg

Menu - Click to Enlarge

And now for a drum roll please…

Cheese-on-menu-50s-Prime-Time-Cafe-600x125.jpg

The Fried Cheese is Back!!

That’s right! The Fried Herb and Garlic Cheese is back in all its glory! As long-time readers know, this WAS my #1 MOST-MISSED MENU ITEM on Disney property — you can even read all about it here on our Extinct Disney Foods post!

Hmm…the citrus swirl and fried herb cheese both came back this year…what else can we expect to be resurrected, Disney? I can’t wait to find out!

Fried-Herb-Cheese-50s-Prime-Time-Cafe-600x400.jpg

Fried Herb and Garlic Cheese

It’s just as good as it was back then!

Fried-Herb-Cheese-Cross-Section-50s-Prime-Time-Cafe-600x400.jpg

Fried Herb and Garlic Cheese - Cross Section

Rich and flavorful with garlic and herbs, this is a fantastic start to a meal. And served with thinly sliced toast (though not enough), fruit, and a pool of raspberry sauce, we both loved this. Yay!

My friend thought the Onion Rings sounded good, so we had an order of those to share as well. We loved the cute fry basket presentation!

Onion-Rings-50s-Prime-Time-Cafe-600x400.jpg

Beer Battered Onion Rings

She really enjoyed the horseradish dipping sauce, which was creamy with just the right amount of zip.

Next, it was time for our entrees. A Sampling of Mom’s Favorite Recipes won out for me. You’ll remember when we showcased this last year when reader Mandy J. sent us a photo! I was very excited to finally try it…

50s-Prime-Time-Cafe-Sampler-600x372.jpg

A Sampling of Mom's Favorite Recipes

But while the plate, with its generous portions, was more than enough to share, I was a little disappointed with the selections. The meatloaf and fried chicken were a little dry (not the usual at 50s Prime Time). I wonder if it was because we were there very late at night.

Overall, I think I’ll stick with the big ol’ plate of Aunt Liz’s Fried Chicken on my next visit!

My friend opted for Grandma’s Chicken Pot Pie.

Chicken-Pot-Pie-50s-Prime-Time-Cafe-600x437.jpg

Grandma's Chicken Pot Pie

She said it was perfectly adequate. The sauce was good, the puff pastry was fresh, and there were ample chunks of all the veggies from the menu (plus lots of chicken).

If this is a favorite dish of yours, you’ll probably like it.

While we were both full from all of that tummy-warming comfort food, we still left a little room for dessert. (What? No Viewmaster Dessert Menu anymore?!??!)

Dessert-Menu-50s-Prime-Time-Cafe-412x625.jpg

Dessert Menu - Click to Enlarge

Chocolate won out in both cases. First up — the classic 50s Prime Time S’mores dessert.

Smores-Dessert-50s-Prime-Time-Cafe-600x426.jpg

S'mores

Made of a chocolate-coated graham cracker piled with torched, pillowy marshmallows and surrounded by chocolate sauce, this is exactly what you expect. Not terribly interesting, but if you find yourself in the middle of Disney, craving a s’more (and Fort Wilderness campfires aren’t an option) then give this a go.

We also had Dad’s Brownie Sundae. Another Prime Time classic, this one had all kinds o’ garnish goin’ on — including caramel corn!

Dads-Sundae-50s-Prime-Time-Cafe-600x426.jpg

Dad's Brownie Sundae

But alas…the brownie lacked a little in the freshness department. Sure, if you’re just after something sweet and chocolatey and share-able, this is your go-to dessert.

But if you’re picky about your brownies, I’d skip this one and head to Boardwalk Bakery for a Cheesecake Brownie after my exit from the park! icon_wink.gif

I like 50's Prime Time Diner. My kind of food! The cheese definitely looks yummy and in need of a few more pieces of french bread.

I can see some people being taken aback by the wait staff if they aren't aware of the "show" (keep your elbows off the table, eat your vegetables, no dessert unless you clean your plate).

Haven't been to the prime time for years. Have to consider going back. The pot roast was always delicious. Pair that with a good CM and you get dinner and a show.

One of my favorites too. Last time David and I were there we split the fried chicken (4 pieces). We each got dessert -- him the Dad's Sundae and me the sugar free cheesecake. It was more food than we could finish off and was only around $20 apiece!