Our Wildest Halloween Ride through the Wilderness!

Shortly we were back on I-77.

DSCN0925.jpg

And shortly after that crossed over Lake Norman:

DSCN0926.jpg

This is a huge lake about an hour from our house. It's great for boating. It is 26 miles long and has hundreds of miles of shoreline. The water is very clean and, except for holidays, the lake is rarely crowded.

Just a little while later we turned onto I-40.

DSCN0932.jpg

In a half hour or so we finally got off the interstate.

DSCN0935.jpg

And in a little while we were home. But I have to tell you a story here. We live on what was a quiet, dead-end street with less than 25 average-sized houses. A cozy, quiet neighborhood until about 10 years ago.

Farmland was sold next door, and a developer came in and built many, many $500,000 houses. You know the kind -- no RVs or boats, lest anything mar their picturesque setting.

Then the planning board decided the development couldn't have just one outlet, so they connected their street to ours.

We used to have 1-2 cars per hour pass our house. I was walking Kassie the other day and counted 14 cars within the space of 100 feet! These people don't use their own street, which infuriates us. They speed up and down our road, and we're constantly picking up the litter they dump on us.

Meanwhile another huge development sprang up across the street from us with million+ houses. Guess how many outlets they have? Just one!

So any time we come home in the motorhome we make our way down through the fancy development:

DSCN0938.jpg

We go slowly and try to make lots of noise.

I figure every time we drive Dolly through there makes up for at least 20 cars passing our house.

While we were at the fort I told David I would be happy to come home and find our house had been wiped away in a storm. (Then he would agree to RV full time!) But unfortunately we pulled into the driveway about 1:30, and the house was still standing.

Coming up -- last thoughts, firsts, IBALTs, things we missed that will be on our next to-do list.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wanna go back... and I want everyone to come toooooooo

Friday, November 2 – Major Pixie Dust! -- Part 1 Had breakfast in the moho, then we had another long wait at the bus stop. Finally got to EPCOT: How often do you see a rainbow and the moon at the sa

Thank you! I have to be awake at 5am to receive more pixie dust tomorrow but I can't sleep. David has been snoring for an hour. I'm frustrated.

Wow!

I missed a lot in the last week.

But, I'm all caught up now.

First, I hope that your dad is doing better.

Next, great job on the bragging rights! You do get them for the Dream Lights photo and the Devores photo!

Devores is correct about the subject of that portrait in the Belle gift shop. Phil Holmes is basically the manager of the MK, and is honored with that portrait for his work on the expansion. If you look carefully at the portrait, there are symbolic items included like Aladdin's lamp, peanuts (for the Storybook Circus area), and a map of the MK.

I'm looking forward to hearing your final thoughts.

TCD

Gwen - Enjoyed the ride home update. I know that drive all too well, I actually hate the I-4 part of the trip. I-95 doesn't bother me too much since I take exit 32 in SC, then it's a highway the rest of the way to Charleston. That part is terrible at night,

Lake Norman is phenomenal, I agree. I have friends who live there and was just up visiting them last weekend. It's hard to believe you're so close to Charlotte.

Gosh, I95 does look boring. Of course, 75 and 10 are also! Great trip report!

Thanks for reading along, Rita! And for being there for me when I needed you!

Wow!

I missed a lot in the last week.

But, I'm all caught up now.

First, I hope that your dad is doing better.

Next, great job on the bragging rights! You do get them for the Dream Lights photo and the Devores photo!

Devores is correct about the subject of that portrait in the Belle gift shop. Phil Holmes is basically the manager of the MK, and is honored with that portrait for his work on the expansion. If you look carefully at the portrait, there are symbolic items included like Aladdin's lamp, peanuts (for the Storybook Circus area), and a map of the MK.

I'm looking forward to hearing your final thoughts.

TCD

Thank you too! Dad is doing so-so. Didn't have a good day yesterday.

I'm gonna have to go back and look at that portrait more closely. I missed some of those things!

Gwen - Enjoyed the ride home update. I know that drive all too well, I actually hate the I-4 part of the trip. I-95 doesn't bother me too much since I take exit 32 in SC, then it's a highway the rest of the way to Charleston. That part is terrible at night,

Lake Norman is phenomenal, I agree. I have friends who live there and was just up visiting them last weekend. It's hard to believe you're so close to Charlotte.

I hate the I-4 part of the trip too, but at least it isn't as boring as 95. Lucky you to live so much closer to the fort!

BIL/SIL live on Lake Norman too. Wish we'd bought property there when the lake first opened. We have friends who bought lots for $4,800. We'd be stinking rich now.

Working on wrapup, but it's tough. So many memories!

If you look carefully at the portrait, there are symbolic items included like Aladdin's lamp, peanuts (for the Storybook Circus area), and a map of the MK.

Blew up my photo and I can see everything except the MK map. Is it on the bookcase behind his shoulder? Or is it in the book on the table?

Also, what's the significance of the ring he's wearing? It looks like it says 40, but the MK has been open 41 years. Maybe the portrait was painted last year?

And does anyone else find it odd that they gave him short hair in the portrait?

Blew up my photo and I can see everything except the MK map. Is it on the bookcase behind his shoulder? Or is it in the book on the table?

Also, what's the significance of the ring he's wearing? It looks like it says 40, but the MK has been open 41 years. Maybe the portrait was painted last year?

And does anyone else find it odd that they gave him short hair in the portrait?

What I heard is that the 40 represents the 40 years he has worked for Disney. The Donald Duck statue on the bookcase is something that 40 year castmembers received as an award.

The MK map is on the table to the right.

I found this photo on the internet that was supposedly taken on October 18th- it shows Phil Holmes, John Lasseter, and the main Imagineer who worked on the New Fantasyland area (I forget his name). I don't think the Phil painting looks a whole lot like Phil:

674482514.jpg

If that photo was really taken on October 18th, then I missed my chance to meet those guys, because we were there that afternoon and evening!

But, I wouldn't have recognized them even if I ran right into them.

I also meant to mention that if you ask any of the CM's in the store who that is in the painting- they all say the same thing- that it's a relative of the founders of the shop. None of them will say that it is Phil Holmes.

TCD

What I heard is that the 40 represents the 40 years he has worked for Disney. The Donald Duck statue on the bookcase is something that 40 year castmembers received as an award.

The MK map is on the table to the right.

I found this photo on the internet that was supposedly taken on October 18th- it shows Phil Holmes, John Lasseter, and the main Imagineer who worked on the New Fantasyland area (I forget his name). I don't think the Phil painting looks a whole lot like Phil:

674482514.jpg

If that photo was really taken on October 18th, then I missed my chance to meet those guys, because we were there that afternoon and evening!

But, I wouldn't have recognized them even if I ran right into them.

I also meant to mention that if you ask any of the CM's in the store who that is in the painting- they all say the same thing- that it's a relative of the founders of the shop. None of them will say that it is Phil Holmes.

TCD

Thanks for the info! No, I don't think it looks a lot like Phil either. Maybe what he looked like 20 years ago?

I tried asking the CMs too and got the same line.

Theres a reason for that.........

Enjoyed the report Gwen. Even your boring ride home. We don't see many hills in Florida.

Seems like, after a few minor glitches, you had a great vacation.

I'll check back for your final thoughts.

Wow, over 5,000 views! Thank you all!

Enjoyed the report Gwen. Even your boring ride home. We don't see many hills in Florida.

Seems like, after a few minor glitches, you had a great vacation.

I'll check back for your final thoughts.

Stef, we only live about an hour from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Next time we go up there I'll take mountain pics for you!

Yes, we did have a wonderful vacation (probably the best ever trip to the fort) despite the glitches. Meeting Doodle and Mike, Lorna and Rich, Sheila and Tim, Nicki and her imaginary family, Missy and TJ, Melissa and Shannon, Bob and Kathy, Julia and Josh, Grumpy and Grandma, Andrew, and many other Fiends made this trip so special -- along with seeing Fiends we already knew like Carol, Rick, and Lou.

Okay, I'm getting ahead of myself. Still working on wrapup.

Allot of CMs do not feel too highly about the picture and do not feel he should be immortorlized like that in the MK. They feel it is an ego thing and do not like it one bit. So they do not accept it.

Well, in that case, I say good for them.

I never heard of Phil Holmes before I saw that portrait.

Of all the people who contributed to make WDW what it is today, I don't think Phil deserves that kind of recognition.

When I heard that it was the current manager of the MK, I immediately thought that it was an ego trip for the guy, and I don't even know him.

What a wiener.

TCD

Allot of CMs do not feel too highly about the picture and do not feel he should be immortorlized like that in the MK. They feel it is an ego thing and do not like it one bit. So they do not accept it.

Well, in that case, I say good for them.

I never heard of Phil Holmes before I saw that portrait.

Of all the people who contributed to make WDW what it is today, I don't think Phil deserves that kind of recognition.

When I heard that it was the current manager of the MK, I immediately thought that it was an ego trip for the guy, and I don't even know him.

What a wiener.

TCD

I agree. Phil isn't the best choice for the portrait!

Last Thoughts

This trip was full of pixie dust! I think if you collected all the pixie dust we've received in our 36 years of visiting WDW, it still wouldn't equal what we had on this trip alone! It was just amazing!

All the fiends at the fort made this trip just incredible! Fiends = family! It was so wonderful to finally have conversations face-to-face with people that, in some instances, I've chatted online with for years! Everyone was so caring and helpful. When we had problems with the moho and with my Dad, people just stepped in and offered assistance and prayers without hesitation.

I had raved about our group to David before arriving. He just doesn't understand online friendships. I told him these people would do anything in the world for us if we needed it. They were wonderful Fiends. He would enjoy getting to know them. And you all proved me right!

New Fantasyland is incredible -- it really transports you to another place and time. We can't wait to see it completed.

Bus service was slow. Overall the worst we've ever experienced.

Bacon at TE was fantastic!

Firsts on this trip:

• Fiend GG -- incredible! Words can't describe it!
  • Food & Wine Festival -- great, but I wouldn't book a trip to WDW just for it.
  • Golf cart parade -- underwhelming.
  • Kali River Rapids -- too short, but would have been great if we hadn't been drenched.
  • Restaurantosaurus -- good.
  • MK Rope Drop (first for David) -- always brings tears to my eyes.
  • Lou's tour -- priceless!
  • Slush in France -- yum!
  • Dinosaur -- my new favorite attraction in AK.
  • New Fantasyland including BOG -- all I can say is WOW!

It's Been a Long Time (IBALT):

• The Living Seas -- pixie dust was unbelievable!
  • The Land -- not boring like I remembered it.
  • Journey Into Imagination -- been there, done that. Wish they would go back to the original version.
  • Laugh Floor -- fun, but not a necessity.
  • Chef Mickey's -- glad we visited, but we won't be back for awhile.
  • Biergarten -- good, we enjoyed it, but not an every trip experience.
  • Polynesian -- we hadn't visited since 2004 when our son got married there at Sunset Pointe. We enjoyed the landscaping.

What were our F&W favorites?

David - pork slider:

DSCN0443.jpg

Mine - the pork slider was a close second, but my favorite was the cheese trio:

DSCN0456.jpg

Favorite activities during this trip (in no particular order):

• Lou's tour
  • Tea party
  • Visiting with Fiends
  • New Fantasyland
  • Looping
  • Backstage with the manatees

Things we didn't have time to do that will be at the top of our list next trip:

• Wilderness Lodge -- can you believe we've never visited it?
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge -- never visited there either.
  • TSM -- hope to make rope drop next trip so we can get FPs.
  • Captain EO -- most everyone doesn't recommend it, but it's about the only thing in EPCOT we've never experienced so it's on the list.
  • World Showcase -- spend more time exploring the countries.
  • MK Flag Retreat -- we've never seen it.

Thank you all for allowing me to share our wonderful vacation with you!

I'm still wearing my New Fantasyland arm band. It's getting ratty, but as long as I'm wearing it I feel like a part of me is still at the fort.

Armband.jpg

And, as Porky Pig says, "Th-th-th-that's all folks !"

Gwen-

I loved your final thoughts!

Great job.

I can't believe some of the things you have never done. You really need to do all those things on your list. We go to the WL on almost every visit to the Fort. The atmosphere is amazing, and it's so easy to get there.

It's interesting to me that the two things you and David liked best at Food and Wine are two things that we did not try this year. I always say that I'll eat anything, but that cheese doesn't look appealing to me. I will have to try it next year.

You and Twin #1 have something in common- she wore her Passholder Preview wristband until she had to take it off for a school function.

I can't wait until your next Trip Report!

TCD

Well done Gwen!

Believe it or not, after countless trips to WDW, there are still some things I haven't done. Now you have more excuses to come back.

If you ever make it down to my neck of the woods, I'll take you swimming with the manatees! Kind of freaky at first, because they can be HUGE, but they are true gentle giants.

Yes, please do take some mountain pics for me!! I have a very short list of things I miss about NY state, one of them is the mountains.

Thanks for doing this report, I knew how much work they are.

Great trip report I am sure it will be one of the classics, glad your home safe and had a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for reading along!

Gwen-

I loved your final thoughts!

Great job.

I can't believe some of the things you have never done. You really need to do all those things on your list. We go to the WL on almost every visit to the Fort. The atmosphere is amazing, and it's so easy to get there.

It's interesting to me that the two things you and David liked best at Food and Wine are two things that we did not try this year. I always say that I'll eat anything, but that cheese doesn't look appealing to me. I will have to try it next year.

You and Twin #1 have something in common- she wore her Passholder Preview wristband until she had to take it off for a school function.

I can't wait until your next Trip Report!

TCD

Thanks, TCD. I can't believe some of the things we've never done either! If you're not a strong-flavored cheese lover, don't try the trio. The brie is mild, but the other two had a real bite to them. As for the wristband, I'll probably wear it until it falls off.

I can and can't wait til my next TR! To do another TR means I have another trip but also means I'm home and it's over!

Great Job Gwen

Thank you, Nicki!

Well done Gwen!

Believe it or not, after countless trips to WDW, there are still some things I haven't done. Now you have more excuses to come back.

If you ever make it down to my neck of the woods, I'll take you swimming with the manatees! Kind of freaky at first, because they can be HUGE, but they are true gentle giants.

Yes, please do take some mountain pics for me!! I have a very short list of things I miss about NY state, one of them is the mountains.

Thanks for doing this report, I knew how much work they are.

Thank you, Stef, for reading! I'd love to see the manatees in their natural habitat! And one of these days I will take mountain pictures for you. But it's gonna hafta get warmer in them thar hills.

Great report Gwen! The pics. and thoughts are so fun to read and get a idea of the Magic through someone else's eyes. When I read the first time someone see's a new thing, it brings me right back to the first time I had done it. Thank you!

Thanks, TJ! I love reading others' thoughts too!