Need travel advice from Fiends in the NYC/NJ area

First off, I hope you all finally have your power back on and made it through Sandy ok!!

We're leaving here Thursday to head south and generally take 95 through the city and NJ. We're concerned with all the aftermath of Sandy that 1) we won't even be allowed across the GW bridge with the camper (plus we've been hearing about HOV requirements of minimum 3 people in a vehicle) and 2) the ability to get gas on the NJ turnpike.

Is there anyone in the area with any firsthand info to report?

Many thanks in advance!

I would stay away from NY & North Jersey as much as you can all this week on the Jersey Pike from about exit 6 all the way north has no power( might be back by then) but they are rationing gas in North Jersy, ood even number on you license plate. I would get farther west to either 476 or 81 in Pa then head south should be fine that way.

Have you thought about taking 84 to 81 and down?

That's actually my backup plan, Dave. (great minds!)

I'm partial to avoiding any possibility of difficulty, even if it means about 70 miles further, but DH is kind of pushing the "let's stay on the more direct route we know." I think he's most concerned about anything that might be too hilly.

Of course *I* am the one doing the driving so... 8)

Realistically we won't need fuel until southern Jersey, and from everything I saw on DOT/transit sites, it looks like the GW bridge is not a problem as long as we're going through during the day (lane restrictions for the construction project at night).

Have a safe trip. I wish we were leaving this week. I am so tired of going to work. We need a vacation.

Thanks and me too! The upside to this trip is it's 3 weeks long.

The downside is that it means we've pretty much taken ZERO vacation time the entire rest of the year to be able to do it.

I'm MORE than ready!!

I would stay away from NY & North Jersey as much as you can all this week on the Jersey Pike from about exit 6 all the way north has no power( might be back by then)

We're keeping tabs on the situation, but I'm still inclined to just go around and avoid any possible problems. Especially because, on top of everything else, the weather for Weds/Thurs isn't looking all that great.

I think we should Caravan!

:D

We have other friends heading down Thursday too, but they're leaving later than we're shooting for.

Actually I'm not sure exactly when we're leaving at this point now that they're talking storm mid-week. We're probably going to be obsessively watching the weather channel the next few days.

When are you planning to head out?

:D

We have other friends heading down Thursday too, but they're leaving later than we're shooting for.

Actually I'm not sure exactly when we're leaving at this point now that they're talking storm mid-week. We're probably going to be obsessively watching the weather channel the next few days.

When are you planning to head out?

I actually think we are going to try and beat the weather and leave Tuesday night - get as far as we can while the kids sleep then hunker down for a feww days and make the rest of the trip. Travelling on the road with a 1 year old is not ideal :(

we came back by the Tappan Zee. It was smooth sailing that way. not sure if you could use that to avoid NYC. Last time i went through the city i dang near busted an axle the road is getting so bad.

You're right about that! And the Excursion rides way more like a truck than the Navigator did. We joke we need to put our kidney belts on for that stretch of road through the city.

I think we used to go the Tappan Zee when we took the Garden State (which avoided NYC) but that was with the much shorter hybrid. Can't take this baby on the parkway. :(

I actually think we are going to try and beat the weather and leave Tuesday night ...

Very smart indeed! We can't bug out that early, unfortunately. We're going to play the weather. Right now looks like our options are gusty winds Weds night, or rain/snow and lesser winds Thursday morning. My preference would be the latter. I'd rather drive in lousy weather in the daylight, and after last year's adventure, the less wind the better!!

you could take the Tap and stay on I287 right around everything and hook back up with 95 south of Newark.

That's the route I always take anything to avoid NYC. Also just a heads up the Maryland House rest area is closed for renovations the rest plaza in De. is open and so is the Chesapeake House in Md. just incase you plan a stop so you know what's open. Have a safe trip and wave going thru Delaware

I'm not sure but heading south there used to be at toll but it was weird you only had to stop if you were a commercial vehicle or had something in tow, now that was a few years ago it might be different now, plus I think the bridge toll was only northbound.