We are having no luck selling our old RV. It's old. It needs some work. I've dropped the price to an extremely low amount, so I don't think it's the price....it's just a case of not finding the right buyer. And I really don't want to keep it through the winter.

I'm going to call two junk/salvage yards tomorrow....both advertise that they take old cars, so I'm hoping they also take RVs. Have any of you sold an RV (or car) to one of these places? Any idea what I should expect? At this point, I'd probably accept a ridiculously low offer, just to be rid of it. Is this a situation where I should try to negotiate up with them, or is it more a case of they're making their one and only offer and that's that? I've never done anything like this, so any advice is welcome.

I might be satisfied with scrap price (I have no idea what that is, really.) I'm in way over my head with this. It has a lot of new parts, including 2-yr-old tires with very low miles on them, and an engine we're told by our neighbors is worth quite a bit. The water heater and pump are new, as are a lot of other things. Parting it out might bring the best money, but I keep thinking it's a great old motorhome for the right person.....if only that right person would come along! I was hoping a salvage yard would be an easy way to make a little money and get the old girl out of the driveway! I told DH when we bought it that we'd have a heck of a time ever getting rid of it, and so far I'm right, lol!

I hadn't thought of ebay...it's been a long time since I've sold there, but I'm going to take a look around there and see what's what.

Michael---it's a 1990 on an '89 Ford chassis

Jason---I wish you could buy it, too! I've dropped the price a lot from when we talked, and at this point, I'll take almost anything for her, but you are crazy far away! I'd offer to meet you half way if dh had a lick of vacation time left, but he's already having to finagle extra for our November Fort trip, lol!

Thanks, Jason!

So, we're taking a new route with this. We have two local salvage yards, and I called both. One laughed at me when I asked if they bought used RVs for salvage (not nice!) and the other was very nice and said they do buy them but only if they're completely stripped inside. So they want only the metal, not any of the parts. I'm not ready to do that to it (yes, I'm still emotionally attached.)

I checked on ebay, and things this vintage are selling for about what I'm asking, but they're being sold by dealers, which gives buyers some peace of mind that I can't offer.

So new route....we're looking into donating it to charity. Right now, I'm thinking either Make-A-Wish or Purple Heart. I've never donated a vehicle.....any tips or tricks to choosing the right organization? Anything I need to know about taking the tax write-off without triggering IRS scrutiny?

On the donaton thing we did this with a Suburban to the Goodwill, they would come and get it but we delivered it to them make sure it went to to them, anyway we were given all the needed paperwork at their location and I believe the dollar amount was accoerding to the NADA vaule on the vehicle, and on the taxes we had no problems listing it on the charitable deductions but this was also around over 6 years ago things might have changed.

Thanks for the input! I think things have changed on vehicle donation in the past few years. If I read correctly, I'd probably not be able to deduct more than $500 for it, unless the charity sold it for more and sent me the exact proper form stating the sale price.

I revamped my craigslist strategy on it....making edits and bumping it up every day or every other day. It seems to have worked! We have a deposit down on it from a local person who wants to take it out west next summer, and he's planning to pay the balance and pick it up on Wednesday. And we have 3 or 4 people who are interested and asked us to call if this deal falls through. What a process this has been! I have no patience....never have. But my impatience caused me to learn a whole lot about salvage vehicles and donating vehicles to charity, so it's all good, lol!

Thank you, everyone who gave me advice on this.....I really appreciate your taking the time!! I think it's all working out for the best.....the moho goes to someone who will use it as it's intended, and I feel good about that. And when he's done with it, he gets the stress of trying to offload it ;-)

Hope all goes well and the 1st person buys the unit, it is a shame when yotu try to do a good thing by donating and you have to jump thru hoops to make it all work out right, and they wonder why donations are down.