I started this thread http://www.fortfiend...-digital-cable/ before I discovered this thread (sorry, just didn't search on the right terms). In it I said:

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

I was in 1400 loop in Nov 2012 and got many channels on the Fort cable. I was in our new 2013 model motor home with two flat panel TVs (Vizio in living area and Jensen in the bedroom). Came back in Jan and only get 10 channels (locals, and a few cable news and espn. Called the front desk and got a repair guy to look at the connection. He repaired the box and I rescanned both TVs with the same result. Repair guy with a briefcase size tv showed me the channels came in at the post. He said that in Nov2012 they changed to a new digital system and some TVs are not compatible. He suggested using a converter to convert a channel to analog. I went to the front desk and looked at the converter they supply, but it will not work because it needs to be between the TV and the cable and the TVs are mounted on the wall. It needs power and has to have channels changed by its own remote, so it can't sit on the post (in the rain) or be in the compartment at the cable entrance (no sight of the remote).

Does anyone have this problem? What digital format should my TV support? Anyone have a working digital TV on this sytem? Maybe with a little help, I can figure out what is wrong or incompatible with Fort cable and my system. There is a four way split in the motorhome (four TV positions), do you think the signal is too weak at the TV, should I have terminators at the two unused psitions?

Thanks. Big WDW fan and a family with three generations of fans.

More on January 10

For all those that replied, thank you. We have camped in Fort Wilderness with our kids since 1979 and now with some of them and some of the grand children. I love the lights at holiday time and the spirit of the place. As soon as we found it, there was no more Disneyland.

As for the TV issue. I have scanned channels several times and I get 3 digital channels (13-1 and -2 and 19-1) and 12 analog channels (the broadcast channels in low numbers very fuzzy, and espn and some cable news in the 40s). The antenna amplifier is off (no LED lit). I have looked at my coach wiring diagrams and the cable comes to the wall plate with the amplifier button, LED and a coaxial output (front and back). So that is one signal split. Then it routes to a three way splitter before going to the TVs. If I remember rightly, there is a 3db lose of signal through each split, so the TV sees either a 6 or 9db weaker signal which might explain fuzzy signals and only a few digital channels. I found that other thread and they talked about replacing the faceplate, I would expect a 2013 coach would have digital ready components, but I will check the specs on the face plate. I will work on the motorhome cabling when I get home. I don't have meters or enough tools here.

Hopefully when we come back after mine train opens or when our oldest grandaughter graduates from college, I will get all the channels.

Posted 12 January 2013

Okay, I did an experiment. I ran a cable directly from the post, through a window and to the bedroom TV. Did a scan and got great pictures and a bunch of digital channels. So the cable system in the coach is at fault. You would think a 2013 would be up to digial standards, but they used component video cable instead of HDMI inside so maybe they are not keeping up with TV evolution.

The coax connection at the wall is from Jack and is part of the new designed digital antenna system, but maybe they didn't incorporated new design cable. There is a 1 into 2 splitter as part of that plate, so the signal strength is at 50%. Then the cable goes through another three way splitter in the walls before it gets to the TV, so the signal is at 25% or 12.5% depending upon the leg of the three way that the TVs are connected too.

I will bypass the wall plate for the cable connection and use an amplified splitter. All to do at home. For now I am looking at a very clear picture from the antenna.

January 29

Okay, I am home. On the way home I camped at two camp grounds. The first (Milton KOA) had a digital cable system. I got 30% (25 scattered through 84) of the channels. The second camp ground in Beaumont TX had an analog cable system and I got half of those channels and very fuzzy. So fuzzy, I switched to the over-the-air antenna.

I am convinced that the splitter in the motorhome is at fault. I am going to get a booster for the cable connection (Motorola, GE at Wal-Mart, Channel Master all make them) and install that in the compartment where the park cable enters the motor home. I will either get a boosted four way splitter and replace the passive splitter in the motorhome or just take it out of the circuit by directly connecting to the thvs from the wall plate (I have 2 TVs and the wall plate has two outputs). This will leave an outside coaxial connection unconnected, but I never intend to watch TV outside. I will let you know what happens.

For all those with ew TVs and park cable reception, I would suggest looking at your motor hoome wiring diagrams. Each split drops the signal strength 50% (3.5 dB). One leg of my three way would have 12.5% of the signal at the post.

Art Adkins

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This seems like the management is reading these boards and listening. It went from owners of analog TVs are just SOL to they offer them something at least.